Audi S1

davey_83

Afternoon all

So my good pal today has just picked up his new 3dr Audi S1, subsequently now thinks he'll show my 350z the tail in a straight line at any speed and to be fair on paper the specs are incredibly similar for both cars.

Anyone driven or had a play with one and come unstuck against the hot hatch? :dry:

motorwriter.com-Audi-S1-stubble-field1.jpgPFA

Edited by davey_83

Afternoon all

So my good pal today has just picked up his new 3dr Audi S1, subsequently now thinks he'll show my 350z the tail in a straight line at any speed and to be fair on paper the specs are incredibly similar for both cars.

Anyone driven or had a play with one and come unstuck against the hot hatch? :dry:

audi_s1_road_test500_1_1a5injs-1a5inke.jpg

PFA

Looks like that yellow paint will slow him down a touch. Challenge him to a drift contest Big D. :wacko:

• Like 1

My brother has an s1 in vegas yellow, iv driven it. I'd say it would be close. He would for sure get the better of my off the line. I did happen to see if his old Audi TT 2.0 's tronic matched the zed from a 40mph rolling start. It did, it out pulled it. Every gear change I slipped behind.

However the s1 being manual I'd say on a 40mph roll the zed would have it. As I said before from the line the s1 would be ahead. But I reckon the zed would reel it in with 50 bhp more.

Wouldn't be a whole lot in it.

^ that's what i was wanting to hear. I better have a play now while it's still tight and not fully run in haha.

As a passenger the turbo shove always gives the feeling of more speed, but it does seem to change gear a hell of a lot so that should play into my favour.

I got told off for exceeding 4k rpm before it was properly run in. He wasn't happy with me.

If that engine had a Audi s' tronic auto box, even with the 50 bhp advantage your zed may have, you wouldn't stand a chance. It's just too efficient and lightning fast at changing gear. Not to mention launch control.

But with the s1 being manual, I'd say the zed edges on it. (obviously not from a standing start as Audi Haldex system plays a part) but once you get going.

• Like 1

The new s3 is a formidable weapon. Iv not driven one but with 310 bhp and auto box it must absolutely fly. Not to mention you can remap these beasts to unleash more performance.

My brother tells me he met somebody with an s1 which was supercharged and running 350+ bhp, however the s1 oem clutch cannot take this much power and breaks. That's what he told me anyway!

Hot hatches have come a long way since the 350z was first released, we're starting to see a new generation of hyper hatches with 300+ bhp as standard.

we've had 300bhp hot hatches since 2009.

I dont think there will be any walking, once rolling I have no issues keeping up with 350z's in my Octavia, I lose out off the line due to fwd, on the drag strip there is about 3/10th of a second between the Octavia and a 350z and thats a terminal of about 100mph so around a cars length so not a lot in it . The S1 has 4wd and is lighter so should get away cleaner , I certainly wouldnt put any money on either

Hot hatches have come a long way since the 350z was first released, we're starting to see a new generation of hyper hatches with 300+ bhp as standard.

We've had 250bhp+ coupes since the early 90s ;):lol:

• Like 1

We've had 250bhp+ coupes since the early 80s ;):lol:

corrected for you ;)

• Like 1

Just another boring to look at hot hatch, it certainly wouldn't make me turn around to catch a glance on a garage forecourt :)

I bet it understeers like a boss too, every Audi I've ever driven scrubs out for Britain when pushed, I've not driven one of these though ;) .

Sorry, I spoke to my brother again it wasn't supercharged, it was just remapped. I don't know why I said supercharged. The clutch can't take higher than 300 bhp for very long anyway.