Ekona

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • SNP
    • Other

He was saying (as was Thornberry last night) no deals no coalition. I guess they are playing the long game and looking to the next election or some idea of a minority government?

In other election news Dianne Abbot smashed it in Hackney North improving her majority :lol:

• Like 1

In other election news Dianne Abbot smashed it in Hackney North improving her majority :lol:

And the people of Hackney wonder why they live in poverty and squalor: Well, if you're thick enough to vote for Abbott then you're hardly going to be a brain surgeon are you!

I have a mate in Acton who told me that his local labour MP increased her 275 seats to over 13000. Boggles the mind.

Why would anyone vote Labour, WHY!?!? They are a party in disarray, they don't even like each other, and they have no confidence in their leader, but they pretend they do, cos get this...he's the best they've got!! Frightening.

Edited by Aashenfox

I have a mate in Acton who told me that his local labour MP increased her 275 seats to over 13000. Boggles the mind.

Why would anyone vote Labour, WHY!?!? They are a party in disarray, they don't even like each other, and they have no confidence in their leader, but they pretend they do, cos get this...he's the best they've got!! Frightening.

Have you actually followed any of this campaign? Labour promised all sorts of amazing benefits and spending if they got in, hell they were a no brainer vote for anyone thinking of becoming a student, anyone who cares about the NHS or anyone who is REALLY against fox hunting. They offered an opportunity for real change which is pretty valid when there are as many disilluisoned people out there as there are.

Corbyn is inspirational, hes stuck to his beliefs throughout his career, hes garnered vast amounts of support that he didnt have before but more than that has overcome the ridicule of much of his own party and neatly all of the press to be about the only person who has come out of this better than he went in.

Your comment might have been valid 6 or 12 months ago, but not now, Labour have all the momentum and this is entirely down to their campaign and their leader.

• Like 2

You say the Party has no confidence in the leader, but that's just, you know, factually wrong isnt it?

He won two leadership contests, both of which had other candidates standing, and were voted for by Party members, by quite a distance.

He's also, quite recently, returned more MPs than his two predecessors.

• Like 1

The PLP love him, it's his MPs that didn't trust him to lead them to glory. I suspect a few of them may have changed their minds now.

I still think he's bonkers and borderline dangerous, but at the same time I'm very impressed with his turnaround.

I agree we should not have had a referendum on the EU as too many people voted with their emotions with no clue what they were actually voting for.

After all your mutterings about its a great thing the young have actually got out and voted and they are informed and perfectly capable of making a decision you still refuse to give any acknowledgement to the fact 52% of the country voted out and discredit their votes with typical political spin they didnt know what they were voting for, uneducated etc It would be just as easy, perhaps more so to discredit the vote of naive student!

I could almost be certain if the Tories had offered to scrap uni fees those students would have faced a very different and very real "choice"

Have a look at where Ukips votes went if you are so sure it was a two fingers up to Brexit, particularly in Nutalls seat of Linconshire ;)

Just in and i quote TM

I have just been to see Her Majesty the Queen, and I will now form a government – a government that can provide certainty and lead Britain forward at this critical time for our country.

This government will guide the country through the crucial Brexit talks that begin in just 10 days and deliver on the will of the British people by taking the United Kingdom out of the European Union. It will work to keep our nation safe and secure by delivering the change that I set out following the appalling attacks in Manchester and London – cracking down on the ideology of Islamist extremism and all those who support it. And giving the police and the authorities the powers they need to keep our country safe.

The government I lead will put fairness and opportunity at the heart of everything we do, so that we fulfil the promise of Brexit together and – over the next five years – build a country in which no one and no community is left behind. A country in which prosperity and opportunity are shared right across this United Kingdom.

What the country needs more than ever is certainty, and having secured the largest number of votes and the greatest number of seats in the general election, it is clear that only the Conservative and Unionist party has the legitimacy and ability to provide that certainty by commanding a majority in the House of Commons. As we do, we will continue to work with our friends and allies in the Democratic Unionist party in particular.

Our two parties have enjoyed a strong relationship over many years, and this gives me the confidence to believe that we will be able to work together in the interests of the whole United Kingdom.

This will allow us to come together as a country and channel our energies towards a successful Brexit deal that works for everyone in this country – securing a new partnership with the EU which guarantees our long-term prosperity. That’s what people voted for last June. That’s what we will deliver. Now let’s get to work.

Edited by Jetpilot

You'd think by now she'd have cottoned on that it's not just about Brexit :wacko:

I agree its done her no favours, but sorry, it kinda is all about Brexit in the first instance, if "we" dont get that right, the whole country will be f****d so makes no difference who was in power and done what during the next couple of years!

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 2

In my mind brexit needs to be addressed quickly as talks start 19th June. I agree its not all about Brexit, but Brussells are ready, and its her first task. Would they give us an extension to the date? If we had no party maybe. As it is, I doubt it.

:lol:

Anyway, I'm not arguing politics in here, people are too clicky. I just wanted to make my point, you're welcome to disagree, but I won't be countering any points, I didn't want to discuss it, I wanted to tell you guys well done, and enjoy the government you deserve (i.e. no government). All of you who were going to vote Tory, then changed your minds based on Corbyn's BS have let the country down, mark my words. I got nothing more to say on this, if you lot think everything's ok with democracy in the UK, and this is a 'good result' for the country, you're lucky, ignorance is indeed bliss.

• Like 1

I have to say, I am happy for Corbyn - as I said before, fair play for sticking to his guns. Love him or hate him, he's a man of principle, and I think there's something to be said for that.

Man of principle? Couldn't be further from the truth. Hates the EU but campaigned Remain, hates nuclear weapons but suddenly now supports them, spent years arguing against his own leaders until became one and now just picks the popular things to promise to the world. He's as bad as any two-faced politician (and there's a few of them).

He's smarmy as hell, but it plays better to the cameras than TM's aloofness.

You'd think by now she'd have cottoned on that it's not just about Brexit :wacko:

I agree its done her no favours, but sorry, it kinda is all about Brexit in the first instance, if "we" dont get that right, the whole country will be f****d so makes no difference who was in power and done what during the next couple of years!

Hear, hear.

In my mind brexit needs to be addressed quickly as talks start 19th June. I agree its not all about Brexit, but Brussells are ready, and its her first task. Would they give us an extension to the date? If we had no party maybe. As it is, I doubt it.

The Tories have a plan and the Brexit committee which they have been working on for months, what would Labour have that they could start negotiations in two weeks, Diane Abbott? Whatever the views at this moment in time the Tories are the best equipped to act for the 52% majority vote.

• Like 2

Thinking further about this, I reckon that TM is a very good Prime Minister but a very poor Conservative Party leader.

Clearly a capable woman, and I fully trust her to deliver a decent Brexit deal, but she has no idea of drumming up support and putting the right faces out at the right times.

• Like 1

We assume the Tories are ready to go on EU discussions, but unless someone can pop the evidence on the table and show us I will leave it as just that, an assumption. As for the plan itself, they should have started on it 12 months ago instead dithered for 6 months and then called a ridiculous election of which the reason for it has failed spectacularly. We are now in a worse position of negotiation than we were a few months ago with a coalition influencing the hard Brexit May had planned, we have no idea what assurances the DUP were given for instance they are against hard border controls and so on.

Clearly Labour would have been starting from scratch from a party point of view but they would still have had access to the same civil servants that the Tories have now working on the plan. That doesn't mean they would be off and running, but its not sensible to think they would be starting from zero.