Thoughts?

Strudul

ok, saw it on phone. Sounds better than I expected, to be fair. What's it like at 6k and under load? The thing about exhaust noise is that it changes dramatically throughout the range, and under load. I'll be honest, my exhaust sounds sweeeeet standing still, and particularly sexy at 4k with that v6 pulse, but under load at high rpm it's not so sweet, just a loud roar.

Every smart arse with an ounce of mechanical knowledge that you pass on the street, is also going to take the opportunity to point out to you 'that's blowin', mate, that is, wanna get that looked at, doncha'. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Aashenfox

Its hard to really hear the note - you are restricted by the quality of the device capturing it as always. Also as above you need to hear it under load to get an idea of what its like to live with day to day (as you will be moving most of the time?) - however having sat and listened to it side by side to some you tube videos of cars static with Cobra and Ark exhausts it does sound like a blowing exhaust I am afraid with none of the qualities of a properly built aftermarket option.

My honest opinion is that a standard Cobra or Scorpion exhaust is going to be perfect for you. They're the go-to option for backboxes, and you can always adjust the y-pipe & cats if you want more noise later.

They sound sporty without sounding obnoxious. They'd be my choice for sensible money if I were buying tomorrow. :)

Thats what put me off them, not enough noise. The Japspeed K2 is perfect under normal, for an exhaust with HFCs there's no drone and cruising speed and normal conversation is easy. Only under WOT does it become ear splitting, but I like it. Wakes you up!

Aren't the Milltek exhausts known for being very very quiet under normal driving? And even WOT not that loud?

I would 100% avoid milltek unless you're fitting HFCs. I had a milltek for about a month and was instantly disappointed as soon as it was fitted. Its quieter than OEM. swapped to an ark grip after and never looked back. Sold it to a forum member who has HFCs and I hear it sounds really well.

Aren't the Milltek exhausts known for being very very quiet under normal driving? And even WOT not that loud?

I would 100% avoid milltek unless you're fitting HFCs. I had a milltek for about a month and was instantly disappointed as soon as it was fitted. Its quieter than OEM. swapped to an ark grip after and never looked back. Sold it to a forum member who has HFCs and I hear it sounds really well.

Fitted with decats and it totally changed the sound lol. Imo it's verging too loud under load but nice n quiet ticking over n tootling about.

Right, not much point letting this go on any longer...

I haven't even done the mod yet, I wanted people's opinions on my current system, which leaves us with 3 potential conclusions:

1) I've had an exhaust leak for the past 7 months that hasn't been picked up by myself, or anyone else (including multiple qualified mechanics, enthusiasts, and other 350Z owners who have driven the car during test drives, MOTs and services).

2) You were all so adamant it would sound shite that despite what you heard in the video you had already decided you were gonna slate it regardless.

3) None of you have any clue what a blowing exhaust sounds like, the traits and whether it is good / bad. (Sound quality may be partly to blame, but as some of you have compared it directly to other videos, I don't think you can really use this as an excuse.)

Dan was the only one who was even remotely dubious, but even then appears to have decided it was blowing...

I didn't do this to trick everyone or be a nob, I did it to see if I could get an honest opinion before I went ahead with the mod and asked what people thought (which I still intend to do).

So, depending on which conclusion is true, you are either all expert mechanics, or have zero credibility. :shrug:

• Like 1

Well now....you may not have done this to appear like a knob. But guess what you have achieved.....yup - you look like a knob. IMO you purposely left out information in an attempt to be able to claim a "one up" on whoever you could. Bit of a di** move.

Any such action like this in the future and you will be receiving a warning point for unacceptable behavior.

But anyway - you missed a reason as to why people said it sounded like it was blowing. As a number of members said, the standard of audio gear seriously distorts what an exhaust sounds like. Especially at idle and low revs. Thus to my ears, that sounded like it was blowing.

• Like 1

When did I say I thought it was blowing? :lol: I just asked a question.

But yes, clearly you've caught us all out: What a bunch of nobs we are who know nothing. Clearly we know so little, and you so much, that none of us should ever bother trying to help you again. Sound about fair, guys?

• Like 6

Well now....you may not have done this to appear like a knob. But guess what you have achieved.....yup - you look like a knob. IMO you purposely left out information in an attempt to be able to claim a "one up" on whoever you could. Bit of a di** move.

Any such action like this in the future and you will be receiving a warning point for unacceptable behavior.

But anyway - you missed a reason as to why people said it sounded like it was blowing. As a number of members said, the standard of audio gear seriously distorts what an exhaust sounds like. Especially at idle and low revs. Thus to my ears, that sounded like it was blowing.

As I say, it wasn't my intention, but I understand that it will be taken that way.

That being said, surely you can see why I would be apprehensive in posting a video. The responses I got only goes to prove I was right to be so.

I didn't miss that reason. Please see point 3 (the part in brackets), but also the disclaimer after it. Other videos of exhausts will have been shot in a similar fashion with a similar device, yet nobody accuses them of having a leak...

You wound everyone up by saying we all didn't know what we were talking about, tried to be clever by posting something that was masquerading as something else, and now you're continuing to attack the people who's help you seek?

Man, and people say I've got no people skills.

• Like 2