Any "reviews" from those with 400-450whp S/C setups?

TMPL

I've been deliberating over handing my stock 350z in to TDi-North, a large sum of cash and hopefully driving away with something in the above power range. I do have the disposable cash sitting around waiting to be spent but still trying to weigh up whether or not this is for me, having never even sat in a car with more power than my stock Z before I really have no idea what to expect.

So, to those who have already done this, would you mind giving me a review of your experience and help push me over the edge? Cheers!

I have owned a std and supercharged, i was never disappointed with the std car i should get that out the way first, i really enjoyed it, but after a year or so i just fancied having a bit more get up and go.

The problem was, i could never justify spending the money to have it converted, so unless yours is unique, i would be looking to buy something already charged and sell yours.

I guess the only way i can put it is, it takes what is already a very enjoyable car, to a whole different level, if you didnt like it, i would be shocked, if you like the car, you will love a charged one.

I suppose its also worth mentioning, i noticed no ill effects either, chassis could easily cope with the output, grip was fine and it drove pretty dam close to std, i,e traffic, drive to work etc

• Like 1

Cant think there will be a great deal of people with a genuine 400whp with superchargers on 350's

Is that so? What would be the main barrier to that happening? I'm sure there's a few on here?

My Zed was bog standard when I first bought it and by the end of my ownership it was pushing 436Bhp@fly after being supercharged.

Build thread here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/91628-gmballistics-zed-supercharged-2003-gun-metal-gt-coupe-vids-added/

I have to say I was initially happy with the power of my Zed but then quickly got bored and used to it so craved more. The day I picked up my supercharged Zed from Horsham Developments was one of the best and most exciting. The power and delivery of that power was completely addictive. :evil:

I actually parted ways with my Zed due to buying a house in 2015 with my Mrs but I miss the car everyday still. Literally nothing has come close to the sound and enjoyment of my old Zed.

All I would say TMPL that just like Jetpilot mentioned if you could the more sensible option is to buy an already supercharged Zed. The money you will save this way could be used for servicing, petrol and insurance then for at least a year or two. ;)

There is one for sale currently on here but imho it is a little overpriced especially as it needs work doing to it (new front wings/rust repair). Keep an eye out though as they do pop up occasionally.

Don't do it buy something that is faster, unless you love the 350z as you will get bored with the power and want more =financial ruin. But if you keep cars standard you won't loose as much money. Or as jet pilot says but one that is already charged.

No-one ever drops £10K on an FI setup and says they don't like it. Ever. Even if they may secretly regret it. ;)

I'm with Evilscorp, I'd just buy something faster or different instead. An FI Zed is a hoot when it's working fine, but I don't think it's any more fun or impressive than a regular 350. Quicker yes, different yes, but not better.

Given your car is stock, you really need to be doing suspension & brakes first. I think you'll be surprised just how good you make an NA 350 without dropping megabucks.

I have supercharged my 370 twice .....cough cough lol

I would say it enhances a already nice car it doesn't change it into a different car so make sure it's not somthing different your after.

Of course there is lots of other things you could do with the money including buying a second fun car for the price of fi.

I drive mine a quite a lot including European trips a couple of times a year so I feel I get the use out of it.

Just don't rush in... get out and get a few rides in fi zeds before you bite the bullet

Also like the other guys said if you can find a decent car that's already been done then that would save you a lot of cash :)

Edited by nissanman312

I would suggest you would lose some reliability and on-going maintenance bills could be far higher with fi. if you can live with than then go for it. Personally having modified cars for years and spend more than I care to remember, I don't think I'd bother and I'd just buying something stock that is faster to avoid the agro that comes with modifying

Why would you suggest that, I didnt loose any reliability along with many others on here, its still the same engine so same service costs, bar supercharger belts and if like me you go for a larger sump, a couple more litres of oil.

Ekona raises a good point, what could or would you buy with circa 11k to 12k that you could buy a charged zed for, there was nothing that took my fancy with circa 400hp unless you want a german luxo barge that is going to cost a fortune if it goes wrong or a big Jag, same applies.

Given your car is stock, you really need to be doing suspension & brakes first. I think you'll be surprised just how good you make an NA 350 without dropping megabucks.

Oh this is definitely budgeted for as well, but the situation is it'll either be EVERYTHING or I'll not be spending another penny on it and saving for something else.

• Like 1

Why would you suggest that, I didnt loose any reliability along with many others on here, its still the same engine so same service costs, bar supercharger belts and if like me you go for a larger sump, a couple more litres of oil.

Ekona raises a good point, what could or would you buy with circa 11k to 12k that you could buy a charged zed for, there was nothing that took my fancy with circa 400hp unless you want a german luxo barge that is going to cost a fortune if it goes wrong or a big Jag, same applies.

The next step for me car wise comes with a 30 grand price tag, so considering I'd hope to be all in with the 350z around 15-20k, it's still some way off...

• Like 1

^^^ yep exactly the same here, 30k plus was my next figure, the only reason I sold mine was my requirements had changed, would still have it today if they hadnt.

I still wouldnt pump 15k plus into a zed though, just buy one done, unless you really really want that journey of doing it yourself :)

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

^^^ yep exactly the same here, 30k plus was my next figure.

I still wouldnt pump 15k plus into a zed though, just buy one done, unless you really really want that journey of doing it yourself :)

If anyone was selling a black coupe I'd be all over that but I'm getting impatient :D

Off the top of my head...

- Maser Coupe

- Porsche Cayenne Turbo

- Jag XJR / XKR

- Chrysler 300C SRT-8

- Merc CLS55 / E55

- Audi RS6 / S8

- BMW 650i / M5

- Corvette C5

However, you are at the very bottom end for most of those.

Off the top of my head...

- Maser Coupe

- Porsche Cayenne Turbo

- Jag XJR / XKR

- Chrysler 300C SRT-8

- Merc CLS55 / E55

- Audi RS6 / S8

- BMW 650i / M5

- Corvette C5

However, you are at the very bottom end for most of those.

And all possibly a lot more expensive to repair

With badge tax on those lot

Well I'm not bored with mine.

I did mine mainly as a project though - I'm not convinced you bond with the car in the same way if you let a garage do the install, but maybe thats just me.

Servicing is not drastically more expensive - as Jetpilot said, mainly it's more volume or better engine oil plus supercharger oil. As for reliability, they are not fragile like some turbo conversions - especially if modified correctly (IMHO), and can be used as daily drivers without problem in my experience.

I'd say, go with the wisdom and get something else or an already supercharged zed as yours is stock, if your only goal is speed, but if you had already tipped a load of effort into your car and/or particularly liked your Zed, then go for it :thumbs:

400HP (either wheel, hub or pub :lol: ) is more than enough for the road, but it only puts you a few rungs up the pecking order ;)

Plenty of build stories to pick through on here.

Edited by ChrisB
  • Like 1

Yep as said, german luxo barge or jag.

And all possibly a lot more expensive to repair

With badge tax on those lot

Aye, just listing the options. C5 should be ok though, and I'm sure Dan said his 6er was as cheap to keep as his Z.