Chipped rims when installing tyres!!!

Hayd350

Can anyone explain to me how and why alloys get chipped when replacing tyres, is it just down to general carelessness and miss handling or is it the machine used?

I'm having a full refurb after the garage has chipped 3 out of 4 wheels and in one case actually attempted to cover their **** up with touch up paint. Naturally i noticed.

Once the refurb is done i'll be dreading replacing tyres in future, is it just a case of bad service or is it "easily done"

Can anyone explain to me how and why alloys get chipped when replacing tyres, is it just down to general carelessness and miss handling or is it the machine used?

I'm having a full refurb after the garage has chipped 3 out of 4 wheels and in one case actually attempted to cover their **** up with touch up paint. Naturally i noticed.

Once the refurb is done i'll be dreading replacing tyres in future, is it just a case of bad service or is it "easily done"

also dreading this - coming up on Wednesday. Did they cover the cost of the repair?

also dreading this - coming up on Wednesday. Did they cover the cost of the repair?

yeah they have done, to be fair i got the car back Wednesday but the whether has meant i couldn't wash it until Sunday so it went unnoticed.

Figured they'd refuse after the amount of time that's passed but they've owned up to it and offered to sort it.

I guess I'll have to check before and after next time but why can't this task just be done right in the first place. The hastle of sending wheels off is what pains me most

They shouldn't be damaging your rims at all. Best take photos prior to tyre change as evidence and take it to a reputable (not the cheapest) place you can.

Local guys who've done a bit of work on my car over the years, happy with all other aspects of work. To be honest i use three different garages depending on the work, some are better at spray work than others and others are more cost effective for servicing. Putting on a tyre is surely a simple task, with the risk so high why not give it a bit more care, crazy.

Put it this way, I fumbled through putting two tyres on my brand new wheels on saturday. I watched a video on youtube and tried it for the first time ever and I didn't mark either of them. It took me an absolute age, but nothing got damaged. I'm obviously no pro, and low profile tyres are harder than larger profile tyres, that could have had something to do with it, but I'd say it's down to rushing.

I'd say carelessness. Its usually the old tyre removal that causes the damage as the bead has to be broken and the tyre barred off. If they cared they'd use a rim protector that stops the bar touching the rim. The problem is people that think they're ace tend to not use them.

I'd say carelessness. Its usually the old tyre removal that causes the damage as the bead has to be broken and the tyre barred off. If they cared they'd use a rim protector that stops the bar touching the rim. The problem is people that think they're ace tend to not use them.

I guess in future I'll have to actually tell them not to balls it up and possibly remind them that they've been checked. It's almost like they just expect wheels to get curbed so don't make any effort to protect them.

I had a mobile fitter change all 4 tyres on mine on the drive recently and made a point of telling him about how concerned I was that the wheels not get damaged with them being a dark colour and as I have managed 4 years now of keeping them un-kerbed.

I don`t know if that`s what did the trick or, as per my thread on it, he was much more competent than some kid at the local tyre depot but he managed it without a mark on any of them so it can be done if they`re careful.

I had two front tyres fitted on my zed at the start of the month by the AA I watched him like a hawk.Although the head of the machine was metal they put a piece of plastic on the wheels to protect them.Plus they came and fitted them on the drive so I will definitely use them again.