[Insert Many Swear Words]

Strudul

I would suggest thats a dodgy paint job, thats it. Personally id never spray something on the car, id have removed the front badge and removed the door handles etc etc.

But do feel for you, id be gutted. youre gonna need a front respray and looks like both doors too. Thats gonna be around the £1500-£2000 mark id suggest.

Hope you get it sorted, you must be suicidal! Good luck.

But the door handles and side + rear emblems came out fine...

Just a bit dirty and in need of a wash.

zXrgcKx.jpg

zo6CtpV.jpg

5wnFHuM.jpg

5wnFHuM.jpg

pjO1K1h.jpg

There is no way it is going to cost £1,500 - £2,000 as suggested above.

The front bumper will need to be taken back to bare plastic and fully re prepped because of the reaction in the paint, but I cannot see this costing more than £200 cash.

The wing blends should be avoidable.

Drop in at a few bodyshops with the car for some quotes.

All the best dude, hope you get it sorted.

• Like 1

If you are going down the re-spray route, i know 2 places in Hudds that do that for around £200 or less. One's behind Charlie Brown on Manchester Road, one's behind the demolished Sports Centre.

Edit: Just remembered that the guy quoted me £130 for full front bumper about 2 years ago.

Edited by veeg33
  • Like 1

Thanks for the recommendations veeg - I'll keep them in mind :thumbs:

However, considering used bumpers seem to be £70-£100, getting another bumper or trying a DIY respray are sounding like more favourable options, but whether that would be a full respray or just a spot repair I haven't decided yet.

I don't know much about painting, but assuming I can do a reasonable job respraying just the damaged areas, would there be anything I can do to the parts that weren't damaged to prevent this happening again? I'd still like to "dip" the lip below the front bumper grill, but obviously don't want the paint there to react the same way. Could I cover it in some more coats of lacquer to protect it and prevent the "dip" penetrating through and doing whatever it did last time?

Edited by Strudul

I admire your perseverance when it comes to cost saving, but a local repair on the front bumper would probably look garbage.

The paint has already reacted. If you paint over it you are going to have the same issue.

Colour match is also going to be a ball ache. Metallic Silver can be hard to match. If you paint one area of the bumper only, it is going to stand out a mile.

Also the paint you use could react with the paint that is already on the bumper and over time it begins to split and peel away. Then you would have to paint it compete any way.

Good look with whatever you decide, If you are going DIY get your paint mixed professionally.

• Like 1

There is no way it is going to cost £1,500 - £2,000 as suggested above.

The front bumper will need to be taken back to bare plastic and fully re prepped because of the reaction in the paint, but I cannot see this costing more than £200 cash.

The wing blends should be avoidable.

Drop in at a few bodyshops with the car for some quotes.

All the best dude, hope you get it sorted.

Im only quoting what is cost me for a front end respray, arches, bonnet and bumper area which was around £1200, But thats a pucker job. Maybe £1500-2000 is inaccurate but i wouldnt touch a respray for less than about £500-600. I was originally quoted about £300 for the bonnet, doors id have thought about £150 a side as theyd need to blow those in. Cheap resprays result in poor paintwork as what we've seen above.

I admire your perseverance when it comes to cost saving, but a local repair on the front bumper would probably look garbage.

The paint has already reacted. If you paint over it you are going to have the same issue.

Colour match is also going to be a ball ache. Metallic Silver can be hard to match. If you paint one area of the bumper only, it is going to stand out a mile.

Also the paint you use could react with the paint that is already on the bumper and over time it begins to split and peel away. Then you would have to paint it compete any way.

Good look with whatever you decide, If you are going DIY get your paint mixed professionally.

I would have sanded back the damaged areas, prepped it properly, and blended it into the existing paint as best I could, but I hadn't considered that any new paint / lacquer could react with the existing stuff.

So it looks like it's a full respray or nothing, which I still wouldn't mind attempting myself (assuming it won't turn out more expensive that just buying another bumper). Paint4u sell the exact colour code I need, and the reviews suggest the match is excellent.

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

Took the reflectors off and cleaned up the damaged areas. With the reflectors off, i noticed they were covered in silver paint at the edges, so it looks like someone has resprayed the front bumper and left them on while doing so...

Redid the reflectors as well, this time with them off the car. :p

UrXpJ2L.jpg

SfyqFr0.jpg

8JJ54fP.jpg

sZ9kPsZ.jpg

Aye didn't do quite as much damage as I first though, but unfortunately still more than enough to warrant a respray.

You can still see the outline from where the excess was, and the front emblem didn't fare quite as well. There's a big dirty raised square of stuff around it where it has reacted and is impossible to remove without bringing the paint with it.

Need a temporary solution to make it look a bit less crap for now...

SjCeIrM.jpg

qu25nfj.jpg

vJhbJIV.jpg

Edited by Strudul

So it looks like it's a full respray or nothing, which I still wouldn't mind attempting myself (assuming it won't turn out more expensive that just buying another bumper). Paint4u sell the exact colour code I need, and the reviews suggest the match is excellent.

That's only half the problem with painting though. Firstly the bumper's plastic so the same paint will likely look different on the bumper than it will on the bonnet/wings anyway, but aside from that the paint on the bonnet/wings is now a decade old and has been exposed to all the things that brings with it so it's also likely that the existing paint doesn't quite match the original colour any more.

You can save a lot of money on resprays by doing most/all of the prep work yourself, as that's labour intensive it tends to be the majority of the cost so it may be worth speaking to a few bodyshops and asking for a quote based on you doing the prep work first. They can then paint and blend the repairs into the existing paint and it may not be much more expensive than doing it all yourself.

• Like 1