2009 or 2006?

Hi All,

I've recently purchased a 350Z on a 2009 plate, the only thing is it doesn't have an 09 bonnet or engine and looks to me like it might be a 06 model. The V5 matches the car, it also states; engine number unknown. I'm not sure how this can be the case, does anyone know how to read the chassis plate?

Regards

Dickie61

Largely depends on the VIN number you have. Various sites can decode an EU or Japanese VIN, you just need to know which you have.

http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Nissan/FAIRLADY

http://www.autotraderjapan.com/index.php/auction-access/vin-decoder.html

Additionally, I have access to NISSAN FAST so can cross check any chassis number direct to Nissan if your willing to post it.

Easy way to check is look at your rev limit. It's 6500 on a DE and 7000 on a Revup, and then 7500 on an HR.

How much did you pay, may I ask?

Hi my car red lines at 7000 i guess it must be a revup. I paid £9500 with miles at 42,000

I'm sure I remember seeing that one on Autotrader, think someone even questioned it on the forums a while ago. Price is a tad on the high side, but not too bad assuming it's in good condition.

Easy way to check is look at your rev limit. It's 6500 on a DE and 7000 on a Revup, and then 7500 on an HR.

Just a thought, but as with the bonnet, couldn't someone just swap in dials from an HR? Surely the only safe way to tell HR from DE is the engine (e.g. number of intakes and dipstick location)? It's unlikely I know, but it's not that much harder to check under the bonnet.

No-one ever bothers swapping dials over. But yes, in theory you're right.

Yeah, wouldn't be much point.

That being said, I've got an 07 DE and I bet if I swapped the bonnet and dials it'd trick any potential buyers who aren't familiar with the Z, and would be able to sell it for HR money. Obviously hypothetical and I'd never do it, but as long as you never said it was an HR and they just made the assumption, it wouldn't technically be illegal / misrepresentation?