Here comes the flood

JetSet

Jeez, what a day. I was woken up today at 7 by my granddaughter who yelled at me "The toilets flooded". She wasn't kidding, not only was the bathroom under water but so was the hall and the kitchen. It seems that she used the toilet then used kitchen roll, blocking the toilet and causing the cistern to stick open :surrender: . Only just had the carpet fitted too, £900. O.K, I unblocked the toilet and got out our Bissell Carpet cleaner, fired it up and the drive belt snapped. Obviously not my day, so went off to Currys and came home with a new Bissell and £200 lighter. The kitchen has a tiled floor so that was easily cleaned and amazingly we managed to suck up the remainder of the flood with the Bissell. Too early to say if the carpets a write off, being new it was nice and clean and shouldn't start smelling, only time will tell. Roll on 2017!

Pete

Let's hope she has learnt her lesson and you don't get a repeat tomorrow!

I'm sure it's a small price to pay to have all your family with you after the last couple of months and I'm sure you and Caroline are making the most of it.

Hope you're both feeling much better and enjoying the time with the family!

My wife bought a flat above a dry cleaners many years ago, it had bodged work done on the kitchen. She went on holiday and came home a few days later to find the front door smashed in (it was a ground floor entrance) with police tape over it. Turned out whilst away for a few days the kitchen pipework blew open, flooded her flat, leaked down into the dry cleaners below overnight, wrecked all the clothes that were stored in there and all the machinery, police had to smash the door in to get entry and allow fire brigade to switch it all off! Thank goodness for insurance...

Not good Pete but sounds like you got it sorted okay. Fingers crossed the carpet survives. :thumbs:

As above, though if it's any consolation my son managed to set fire to his grandad's shed one Christmas.

Back to the carpet, if it's really wet and it's got to the underlay is it worth lifting or getting someone to lift it so it can dry out properly?

Edited by leonk

Blocked pan won't cause the float valve to stick open :p

Well, the valve didn't stick....read on.

I know you are far more experienced in plumbing than me but the water was cascading out from the toilet and the ball **** was sat at the bottom of the cistern allowing the water to be released from the valve, so basically the water was going out faster than it was coming in if that makes sense? Look, it's an old toilet, it was put in in 1969 when the house was modernised and is completely different to the one in our main bathroom that dates back to 2002. About 3 years ago Caroline dropped one of those plastic things that holds a blue block underneath the rim of the toilet. That got stuck somewhere beyond the U Bend and caused a similar flood although nowhere as severe when toilet paper got wrapped around. It got to the stage where everytime you flushed the loo you would have to stand by in case you had to lift the ball **** up :lol: The plumber had to take the toilet home with him to get this lump of plastic out, none of his tools he had with him would dislodge it,

Pete

• Like 1

Let's hope she has learnt her lesson and you don't get a repeat tomorrow!

I'm sure it's a small price to pay to have all your family with you after the last couple of months and I'm sure you and Caroline are making the most of it.

Hope you're both feeling much better and enjoying the time with the family!

She's gone home now, thank goodness :lol: . Christmas was fine until the family arrived and Caroline's daughters finished up having a fight !! The eldest daughter was already drunk and lost her temper when the younger daughter refused to go to the off licence for more booze. Eldest daughter is an alcoholic who's already been banned from driving twice. Neither Caroline, her youngest daughter or myself drink so we never have any liquor in the house and on the odd occasion that we get some in we have to hide it....sad really.

Caroline is still struggling with anxiety and consequently lack of appetite. Her physical wounds are healing up really nicely though, the scars from her wounds have all but vanished.

Pete

• Like 1

Pete you can't choose your family unfortunately..... that said it does sound more entertaining than the TV over the festive period.

Sorry to hear of Caroline struggling a little but it's not surprising after what you've all been through in such a relatively short period of time. I'm sure she has all the help and support around her and hope she feels better soon.

• Like 1