nubs White 370Z GT Edition

nub

love the white ,looking for one myself, and do the things you do when yo get zeditis, Im lucky my friend builds exhausts for a living, on the subject of air intake as I have looked at the different systems and they are very expensive.

What about changing to 2 drop in k/ns and if you are up to ,buy the 2 carbon fibre air intakes you get off EBAY and drill the 2 holes and fit them on your bumper in line with the air intake, I have spoken to chris at dynatune and he says that this could probably work and give you a decent gain withot spending a lot of money.

cheers ;)

I'm looking for the best gains to be honest like an improvement over the stillen G3. The gains are proven on a dyno with a fan blowing into it, and when you're at high speed but I feel the metal alloy should be silicone (like Z1 intake is partially) and the filters position could be improved slightly. It's not a bad position in terms of being outside the engine bay but I can't imagine high pressure/dense air flow building behind the bumper. No doubt in the states high end builds design their own custom CAIs but I lack the skill, knowledge and resources and I won't pretend I know more than the R&D guys at stillen because I don't. If I have to settle for a stillen G3 then so be it but I'm gonna look into any alternatives or improvements that could be made to the design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

88014d834d677b2bcdba21518a42e96a.jpge6607e0b9126aac7b912098d911dac55.jpg

These bad boys arrived very quickly from Chris @ Tarmac Sportz and they should be fitted Monday. Replacing my Fast intentions high flow cats they SHOULD be a little quieter, as they claim to be quieter than HFCs. I'm also wondering how it will improve the sound, I don't really get any drone anyway but I do get a bit of a hiss, so I'm wondering if that might go. This thing is designed to bloody sound good and with my Fast intentions resonated carbon muffler cat back I believe it's a rare combination in the UK. If it makes the car significantly quieter then it may sway me more towards the motordyne shockwave which is what I would really love to have, only if it's not too loud.

Now I'm gonna write a little plan/to do mod list but not necessarily in this order.

- sell my HFCs providing the ART pipes run ok.

- refurb the allloys flat/matte black

- be on the lookout for any 2nd hand Motordyne shockwave or maybe alternative, if it's too loud I'll resell it ;)

- seek to find and purchase the carbon signal GT Edition badge if possible because I think it looks cool!

- spacers all round

- mich PSS4s when tyres need replacing

- Z1 or stillen style induction kit, preferably Z1 as I think it's better

- I'll be continuously checking EBay for 2015 plate Nismo rear and front bumper, otherwise buy them from Nissan

- research and consider any other modifications that can gain me anymore power

- finally once I've got the best potential gains and mods possible, remap at Abbey

If anyone has anymore suggestions to make more NA power aside from the headers which may not be worth the trouble and can have fitment issues then please let me know. I'm looking into other things done in the US I.e the Z1 400bhp package upgrades a few other parts that we don't seem to do over here... I know 400bhp won't be possible NA on our fuel but I'd love to get 360-370! 😀ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Edited by nub

I found this video which has my exact exhaust setup and this is pretty much what mine sounds like now. Quite good really but I've heard it other than when I'm on the car. I need someone to rev it for me whilst I listen at the back

I found the motordynes quieter than a decat but louder than hfc by some margin

That's interesting Rich! How was the sound on a normal decat? (IE, nice, or just loud) I've only got the ART's fitted right now with Nismo CBE, but they are tame. Will have to go and have a Youtube session on normal decats with the Nismo CBE.

Straight decats are by far the loudest option. Dominic had decats with a stock system on the charged one (and it sounded nice) but when he went to the ARK grip it was just too loud so he went for the motordyne ones. On my n/a car i had the invidia and bought his old decats and it became much louder and added the hiss on over-run typical with decats (much reduced with the motordyne ones)

Even with the motordyne decats and the ark grip the supercharged one was 99db on idle when cold.

Well Motordyne claims the ART Pipes to be even quieter than HFCs. I have fast intentions HFCs but I simply don't know whether they're resonated version or not. If they are then the ART pipes will be louder. If not (fingers crossed) then hopefully it'll get marginally quieter. Whatever happens will determine my cat back choice, currently I've got fast intentions 12" resonated carbon mufflers which is ok but a bit loud on cold starts only.

Ark Grip would have been my second choice probI though by looking at it, that Ark Grip was a moderately quiet system compared to what's available - surely it must be quieter than motordyne shockwave as it has 2 additional silencers and presumably does not step up to 3" which is great for gains but bad for loudness ;) so I am surprised to hear that Ark Grip plus ART Pipes too loud.

Here's the exact combo and it sounds perfect to me.

As I keep saying I'd love to try a shockwave if it came up 2nd hand, if it turned out to be too loud then I'd sell it. Can't justify brand new at £1900 though and it's got to be a fair bit louder than Ark and I'm not sure whether I could tolerate it the cold starts and WOT. Sounds good here but I think ark Grip may be the right balance for me

It wouldn't let my post 3 videos in a post. It's a shame cause aside from being too loud I much prefer the motordyne shockwave ðŸ˜

Edited by nub

The videos don't even show up for me on tapatalk. That Ark kinda does sound nicer and the right balance as it's not as loud but more refined, I could Rev it at idle and it wouldnt be too quiet but not obnoxious loud. the extra silencing seems to have taken the edge off - whereas the shockwave sounds like an absolute monster but the volume and frequencies produced is overwhelming. Part of me can see the appeal of that but for me personally it's a bit much for a V6. The 370Z is a decent car and has presence on the road as an impressive car so it can somewhat get away with and pull off a loudish exhaust because it's a good loud when done right. When driving normally I want there to be a bit of noise, so that you can hear me coming, along with the pops and bangs on synchro downshift which gives the car much of its character, with aggressive muscular looks to match. But I think there's a fine line between good loud and inappropriate loud, depending on the car too. For example if you saw a Lamborghini Aventador revving or WOT asbo ridiculous loud - it can pull it off because it's a Lamborghini V12 and an absolute beast. See a 4 cylinder Honda Civic with a loud exhaust and it looks and sounds stupid and unimpressive, nobody wants to hear it. I don't really know how to describe it but the combination of the ART pipe and ARK Grip (both having Helmholtz resonators) it creates a more prominent, unique harmonic note that we associate with the V6 - and it's the best exhaust note I've heard. I couldn't tell you how it's achieved or why exactly all I know is it's to do with cancelling out certain frequencies, eliminating frequency waves at various rpm and tuning for a particular sound. It seems to work really well and they use those kind of chambers in various OEM applications on some cars inside the big back boxes where the manufacturers priority is not to produce maximum BHP with straight through free flowing exhaust.

That said I'd still be willing to buy a 2nd hand shockwave just to be absolutely sure. It looks nicer and would produce more power. One day... ;)

Very hard to properly judge noise via a video , best thing is to ask a local owner and see if they will give you a demo, otherwise its a leap in the dark . If you dont have to worry about upsetting neighbours then you can get away with a loud system but on cold start these can be very fruity

Got my ART Decat pipes fitted the other day, id say it's marginally louder than the HFCs it replaced, however it's a deeper more refined loud. And some parts of the frequency have been reduced due to the Helmholtz resonators. It has verified my expectations really and I think changing the fast intentions to an ARK Grip is the way to go to achieve the best exhaust note possible and to lower the overall volume slightly too, even if the FI is better for gains, who knows. 10-20% quieter would be nice, but as with the ART pipes, I expect it to target certain frequencies. It's difficult to describe but by reducing/eliminating certain frequencies, it kind of channels the sound into that characteristic and desirable V6 note we all love, so it can be reasonably loud without any rasp etc. The ART Pipes alone have really made the V6 burbling more more prominent now all of the time, at idle and just cruising and it pops and bangs a bit more. I expect it to make a decent gain over the HFCs when I get it mapped, because on my old car, even a single HFC would lose 10bhp+ on K20 under 260bhp.

Tapatalk won't let me upload videos right now

Edited by nub

Nice one Nub.

Had my ART pipes on for almost 1k miles now. When paired with the Nismo CBE they sound really tame. There no lower tones to the exhaust note which is a little disappointing.

Hopefully March time I'll be receiving and fitting my replacement CBE. I'll run it with the ART pipes first but fear it'll be too loud for me day to day. May resort to just cats and a CBE. Time will tell.

Would love to hear a video of yours :)

I'm trying to upload the videos mate but it hasn't worked for a few days on tapatalk. They're on my Instagram though; nunes1337

The ART pipes are quieter than conventional decat pipes and make more power than both those and HFCs. I'd strongly recommend keeping them for those reasons, as my FI cat back is loud already and not tame like yours I have been able to really notice the difference it made. For you I would simply say avoid the louder cat backs like shockwave, which are only tolerable with stock cats IMO. If you switched to an Ark Grip it would become significantly louder, but not too loud at all I'd say. There's a bunch of other options that in combination with ART pipes would result in a louder setup, yet not overwhelming. Ark Grip is just one of the options that I'd class as "reasonably quiet" and as I've said im a big fan of these Helmholtz resonators. Plus remember my ART Pipes are not much louder than the HFCs, another reason to keep them. The only HFCs that would be significantly quieter are resonated ones. I'm sure you'd be satisfied just changing the CBE, there's loads of videos on YouTube that can help. Plus the Nismo sounds better than a regular Z for some reason. Search on YouTube for 370z nismo silencer delete and even that sounds epic. I don't know if the compression ratio or other parts of the exhaust system are different, the newer Nismos sound different and better than regular 370Z like mine.

This is the video I'm going by, the sound I'm aiming for, and mine is not far off right now. I think it sounds better in person than in the video but I don't believe it would be too loud at all. So look at other videos like that and decide which combo you like best ;)

Edited by nub

Will the Art Pipes be an issue at MOT when the time comes?

The FI exhaust was all the rage on this forum a few years ago, but I do recall some people complaining about too much drone. I personally like the combo of a fairly subtle exhaust like the Stillen paired with HFCs. You get the best of both worlds - civilised when you want it to be, but capable of sounding raucous when you feel like it.

Edited by sipar69

Will the Art Pipes be an issue at MOT when the time comes?

The FI exhaust was all the rage on this forum a few years ago, but I do recall some people complaining about too much drone. I personally like the combo of a fairly subtle exhaust like the Stillen paired with HFCs. You get the best of both worlds - civilised when you want it to be, but capable of sounding raucous when you feel like it.

Yes I think they will be an issue because quite simply on the emissions test they will fail spectacularly 😀

But that's ok because I'll either find a friendly tester or install the stock cats to pass the MOT then swap them back.

The FI is a great, I think it must be quite rare in the UK and more expensive than Ark Grip and Stillen. I have the receipt and the previous owner paid over $2300 for the cat back and HFC and that was when the GBP was far far stronger vs USD than is now, now I guess you'd be looking at nearer $3000. The the main benefit of FI being it's much lighter than the others, 41lb apparently, over 20lb lighter than stillen yet probably identical in terms of performance.

With the Fast Intentions Cat back with 12" resonator and unresonated HFCs there was no drone at all. They did other sized resonators on the cat back, I think 8" and 18"? So mines in the middle and they also did a resonated HFC. But my combo was not loud inside the car, my GT Edition seems to have a lot of sound deadening, more than non GT editions, it's only a bit too loud on cold starts, the rest of the time it's ok. As said I want the Ark Grip purely for the Helmholtz resonators and the sound they produce. the FI still sounds pretty good, it's more expensive, more exclusive, lighter and probably performs better. But the Ark Grip is the sound I want, hopefully a bit quieter too. I would have preferred motordyne with the rolled and adjustable tips - but I simply don't want my setup any louder than it is now. The motordyne shockwave is a fair bit louder than both FI and Ark Grip and with my ART pipes it would make great power but would be very very loud. I agree that your Stillen CBE with HFCs is about right in terms of volume, but no straight through setups can achieve the same sound as those with Helmholtz resonators. What sound you prefer is totally subjective but from researching and watching videos the ART Pipes and a relatively quiet catback with Helmholtz chambers is what I want. The Ark Grip is the obvious choice, I think HKS cat back is similar too. The ART Pipes are also going to give better gains than any HFC, if you can get past the MOT emissions problem then if highly recommend them. It is a shame motordyne don't do a quieter version of the shockwave. I'm still unable to post the videos with tapatalk, hopefully they will fix it soon.

• Like 1

Uploaded to Vimeo. This is Fast Intentions Catback and ART Test/Decat pipes. Recorded on the day or day after installing so they haven't bedded in and the sound will probably change somewhat over the next few weeks. I did much better drivebys but my uncle recording it ****ed it up so I didn't get a recording of the good ones.

Edited by nub

I got a driveby on the closer side of the carriageway which as you imagine would have been much better but it wasn't recorded on my iPhone cause someone sent me a whatsapp msg at the time and my uncle got confused and ****ed it up.

Edited by nub

I would personally just add the Ark dual grip and that's that.From experience I think it ticks all your boxes without needing to change anything else.

That's what I'm thinking too, it's the only reasonably cheap option that has the Helmholtz resonators and should lower the volume slightly, compared to my Fast intentions. I keep seeing motordyne shockwave and I love the look but just by the lack of silencers on it I can tell it's going to be far louder than my current setup.

• Like 1

I have the Motordyne Shockwave and Art decat pipes fitted and the combined system is very loud.

cf30b382b7872b0ef139e3b3e2c96f5d.jpg

cd990c6c6bccd54fad2aa31a84179d87.jpg

It's ok up to 3000rpm then very loud but sounds awesome above.

MOT time is a pain too, either swap to standard cats or find a friendly tester.

The Art pipes certainly bring the noise down in the cabin.

Quality wise it's the Motordyne every time but very very loud

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk