nubs White 370Z GT Edition

nub

Yup. I definitely what the motordyne, rolled and burned tipped plus steps up to 3". If there was a way to have it but 20-30% quieter then I would, but there isn't 😩. I can't lose the ART decat as that's reducing more restriction than the cat back itself. In theory, the ARK Grip has the same/similar 2 Helmholtz resonators so it should give a similar sound only it goes through an extra pair of straight through silencers. So I would expect it to sound very similar, only maybe 20% quieter as a guesstimate. I haven't looked at HKS but I think there's is similar too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btw does anyone know of your CAIs like stillen and Z1 make a nice induction note? On my type R some of the induction kits were really nice and loud, in wondering if they are on this car. I found a video on YouTube where you can kinda hear it quite well but he probably has stock exhaust; I doubt it could be heard above even a quiet exhaust setup to be honest but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong 🤔

Sounds great on this vid and it would be great to hear it

You may be right, simply because the filters are too far away to hear through the cars sound deadening and the windows being up, not to mention on the exhaust might drown out the noise. Open cone big filters in the engine bay can be loud but obviously suffer major heatsoak. But I know from experience (vtec yo) that having a good induction note makes the car sound real good inside the cabin and enhances the driving experience. On some of the Honda Type Rs, the CAI kits can be as loud or louder and sound better than the exhaust itself. They don't have V6s though of course so their exhausts sound crap, but for me having a lovely induction note is equally as desirable and fun when driving. the Gruppe M/Tegiwa M on the Type R sounded fantastic and really enhanced the vtec better than any K20 exhaust. But if I could replicate the sound in that video I posted above, it would justify the price a bit more 😊

Ive had a civic type r & dc5 put the aem v2 on both which i thought sounded the nicest kit.

But the k&n short rams on the 370z sound even better than the aem v2.

That's good to hear, only short rams and open cones will suffer heatsoak. But if they have the potential to be loud in the engine bay then they'll hopefully still be audible in the CAI location, only less so. These CAIs seem to make a bit more top end but not drastically more than the stock setup with better filters. It's a shame because it's harder to justify spending £400-£500 when it's a bit controversial as to how much they will make. Even a guaranteed 10bhp would be enough for me. It seems so obvious to me that metal alloy is going to get very hot and warm up the air that's being collected by the CAI, it's no wonder that people are claiming the stock system is potentially the better option. Whilst the kits may still be effective when the vehicle is at speed, id be much happier if the entire thing was made of silicone. It would solve the problem IMO and that's why I like Z1 as it's at least 1/3rd silicone. The entire section in the engine bay needs to be silicone and I think then the IATs would remain lower. I just wish I had the ability to customise my own kit, but sadly I don't.

• 2 months later...

Well I have continued on somewhat from Nathan's (nrenz123) project by buying and his freshly painted nismo kit. Top guy, who originally had a GT Edition like me. He fitted it for me and with his knowledge and experience saved me a fair bit of labour too. He would have advertised it but his project thread is fundamentally what inspired me to buy a 370z, once I realised a 2015 bumpers would bolt on, I figured this is going to modernise what is already a good looking car. Therefore I wasn't going to risk it being advertised and sold to someone else, I've been pming Nath ever since I signed up harassing him about it 😊

The match is very good in person, except the side skirts which doesn't both me much. In my experience, whites do tend to change colour a bit after a few months of sun in the summer, at least on my champ white Type R it did. The DRLs work great and transforms form the boring front end along with the red bits, the splitter is designed to create downforce too.

My issue now is that I want my wheels powder coated flat black and spacers all round, I think this will finish it off as the rear end looks narrow. I might even consider lowering springs. I haven't yet looked into nismo spoiler as it's around £700 afaik and hardly different to OEM. Surely there must be some company producing good quality replicas?

Then I want Z1 induction kit, if it fits on UK models, oil and steering wheel oil cooler.

ac87272647e89be14a1c6b7226c75052.jpgbd128299911858073d1ac1f17509cdfe.jpgbba32e555a8d92a971e0af2b343c323b.jpg7ab04b3438ab04037c86d315aebe95c0.jpg

Oh and I've got an ARK Grip going on, on Wednesday replacing my Fast intentions carbon fibre catback that'll be for sale late next week. Although it's a cheaper exhaust I'm hoping it'll sound better, maybe even quieten it down a bit, although it's not really too loud for me at the moment.

930975d4e37385ccd4e815625e20add1.jpg71e77410ac33cfccb4da287e2e2d5bf1.jpg1b902c9254a11647b824819a6309ab5b.jpg

Edited by nub
  • Like 2

It wasn't fun seeing your car drive away with the Nismo bits on, the car looks mint!

This is the same sort of thing that I was talking about for the end of the skirts, if you look closely on the end of the skirt there's is a line that shows where you should mask it off. Alternatively could try plastidip?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackboard-Vinyl-Chalkboard-Wall-Sticker-Decal-Memo-Mural-Removable-Adhesive-/252649115679?hash=item3ad30f901f:g:bcAAAOSwImRYNYZR

It wasn't fun seeing your car drive away with the Nismo bits on, the car looks mint!

This is the same sort of thing that I was talking about for the end of the skirts, if you look closely on the end of the skirt there's is a line that shows where you should mask it off. Alternatively could try plastidip?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackboard-Vinyl-Chalkboard-Wall-Sticker-Decal-Memo-Mural-Removable-Adhesive-/252649115679?hash=item3ad30f901f:g:bcAAAOSwImRYNYZR

I'll look into this shortly. Short clip of my Ark Grip with Motordyne ART pipes, it's definitely quieter and has tuned the exhaust note somehow. You can really hear it at higher rpm and outside the car. This was recorded on the iPhone and isn't a great demonstration but it does actually burble away very nicely now. If still prefer motordyne shock wave but neighbours would kill me !

• Like 1

Looks great.

There has never been a white 370 with a perfect bumper to body match anyway. There have been some shocking examples of poorly matched bumper to body colours from the factory. Both my bumpers are body-shop painted and are a better match than when the car came out of the factory.

Looks great.

There has never been a white 370 with a perfect bumper to body match anyway. There have been some shocking examples of poorly matched bumper to body colours from the factory. Both my bumpers are body-shop painted and are a better match than when the car came out of the factory.

Yeah you're right and I was already aware of this having formerly owned a white Honda type R it was exactly the same. The front and rear bumper match well enough, I recall one of my factory panels didn't even match as well as Nathan's bofyshop painted one. I'm 100% satisfied with it, you will never notice it driving on the road and if it did bother me I'd have paid to blend some of it in, but I'm perfectly satisfied. The main thing is the car looks totally different now, all round with 2015 nismo bumpers on it. I'd consider a nismo spoiler or one of the dick bill? Or other ones depending on cost. There has got to be someone that makes good quality replicas? It's such a small and basic part. Otherwise I'll check EBay for breaking nismos. ðŸ‘ðŸ»

I know it's subjective but I absolutely want either 2015 nismo wheels, or for the time being flat black OEMs.

My fast intentions cat back will be advertised soon. The main advantage of this catcback is that's with the carbon fibre silencers it's considerably lighter than Ark Grip, stillen etc. It's not too much louder than my ark grip.

Edited by nub

Coming on great love the mods and I can tell you the Z1/cai is a straight forward job I did mine in about 2/3 hours for me getting the bumper off is the pain in the rear :lol: :lol: :thumbs:

That is the next question I was going to ask was whether the Z1 fits without any issues, because it's half silicone.

I always liked the look of my GT 370z but the kit has really transformed it into a more aggressive looking car, not to mention newer! Correct me if I'm wrong but they're still selling nismos on 17 plates yet mine is only 2011. The front was always rather bland, now only the alloys don't look right to me ae594be3a33a6168f06e8ae20ab2b9e7.jpg8c009fdb466f4702a9e57ad9cce96f2e.jpg

Edited by nub

• 1 month later...

I've have the following mods purchased to be fitted early July.

Z1 CAI induction

Stillen 25 row thermostatic oil cooler

Another Stillen cooler, I think it's for transmission or power steering ?

Alloys will be painted flat/matte black next week. Then also I need some spacers all round.

ECUtek remap with Abbey should be booked for early July. My Ark Grip has probably lost a few bhp over the Fast Intentions, but I've now got ART decat having removed FI HFC and will have the Z1 CAI. So hopefully I might hit 360bhp-+ or so 370bhp would be great. My previous UpRev map with only FI cat back and HFC made something like 340-350bhp. I think it was 304bhp at hubs ?

I'm also on the look out for a nismo spoiler if I can buy one at a reasonable price. It's not vastly different to the regular Z spoiler, but a bit more aggressive looking and finishes the kit, assuming it's a direct swap. 07fe1f614b9f63c1ef76a32f744d9335.png84d0ee039da036060b5026e5b2e96d15.jpg

I have a gt what gains do you get with an uprev,is it 10 -20 bhp :D

Do you mean on a stock car? Yes I would guess 10-15 bhp peak, maybe bigger increases in midrange and torque but I'm not sure. Most people remap with at least a cat back and or HFC and some kinda induction kit

Yes, a local friend of mine is 380bhp-390bhp. That's with CAI induction, 3" mexhaust, decat, a some race headers which I were designed for LHD cars, larger throttle bodies and a motordyne inlet mani. Modifying the jinheader to fit and then installing it is a real PITA and lots of labour but I guess that would gain 10bhp over stock alone.

If you google 370z Z1 400bhp kit you'll see they sell a kit that should get you up to 400bhp with their own modified inlet manifolds etc but i dunno if their fuel is better than ours.