And it was all going so well! :(

Commander

Sold the TVR yesterday - sad to see it go but now I have lots of money in my bank account, so happy days :thumbs:

Also yesterday I had the Z MOT'd and it passed with flying colours and not a single advisory :thumbs:

Today I was out in the Z (with the Mrs in the passenger seat) and when I went to overtake a van (perfectly safely I might add! straight road, good visibility, within speed limits, used my indicators, etc...) he pulled out in to my lane and hit me. There was probably 15-20mph speed difference between us so the short duration of the collision still meant his front-right quarter dragged it's way down pretty much the full length of the car :(

Stopped and swapped details, etc... and it's now with my insurance company (Admiral).

Not a great photo, but any speculation about repair costs? Wish I didn't go for £600 excess now! We're looking at a new door and wing (both worse than the picture makes them look. window, lock and wing mirror still work fine), indicator housing, and paint on the rear quarter.

C1CE1FD3-645F-4C8E-92EF-CB24BD574FFD.jpg

• Like 1

The front wing damage looks very similar to some rear wing damage I had on my Audi A4 just before Christmas. This cost £350+vat to get sorted and was done in 2 days. We opted to go outside insurance as it was conveniently a neighbour that hit me so I knew exactly where he lived so he couldnt get away from me or give me false details. Got a 3 quotes and presented them to him and we went from there.

The job was a fantastic one and you cant even tell there was any panel distortion or dents etc at all and it looks as good as new. The company also gave the enitre car a wash and wax outisde and full valet inside complimentary. The worrying thing was that I went to a local well documented insurance approved garage and for the same repair they quoted me £1400............PLUS VAT!!!

I personally think that the insurance approved garages get away with charging more because the insurance company are paying for it so they think its ok but you still have to pay the excess. I think this is why so many cars are being written off these days. But hey thats just my view.

Going private I would expect to pay around £700 for that (obviously as you say the damage varies from the photo to real life so could be more) I would however expect the insurance to claim that it would be costing closer to £1,500-£2,000.

Yeah, be prepared for that - you have the missus in the car so it's not likely he can pull a fast one. As for costs of repair - really depends on who you get to do the work. I'd say there's about £1200 of work given its across a few panels but I'm not an expert.

The missus being in the car wont count, the witness has to be impartial to count so its still your word against his at the end of the day. Maybe now you'll become a dashcam convert with the rest of us, shame its too late to help in this situation through :surrender:

The missus being in the car wont count, the witness has to be impartial to count so its still your word against his at the end of the day. Maybe now you'll become a dashcam convert with the rest of us, shame its too late to help in this situation through :surrender:

If you haven't got a dash cam I can recommend a very good app for your smart phone called "witness" works very well as a dash cam. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Sorry to see that Commander but glad you & the Mrs are unhurt as that's the main thing. ;)

If it's going through the insurance company then I wouldn't worry about how much it's going to cost, ...trust me though it will be a lot more than the £600 your paying for your excess. I'd guess similar to Erni & G with it being at least £1000 if not upwards of £2000 depending on the bodyshop.

Hopefully all with go smoothly with the insurance company. Good luck. :thumbs:

I had a Blackvue in the 370 which i didnt bother removing but have a G1W in my daily and thats fine also and costs peanuts in comparison like £40 all in

http://www.ebay.co.u...ZgAAOSwZJlXNaAd

Hopefull if he doesnt contest you would lose out too much

I bought one of these and they are a great bit of kit for the money, when looking at reviews for sub £50 these won the tests hands down. Although they are Chinese imports, there are copies of these that are not anywhere as good marketed as G1Ws. So make sure the one you get:

Records in .mov not .avi

Not missing the HDMI port

Had very similar done to mine recently, new door £640 +vat new wing £263 + vat, paint and odds and sods £420, Labour £746. Absolute total came to about £2600

Plus a hire car for a week at £120 per day.

And please do remember you can nominate the bodyshop you want to do the job rather than one the ins company tells you to use.

Edited by Bigjimg

Sorry to see and hear about your car :( I have nightmares of people sideswiping me when I park, always means a long walk for me and the Mrs hahaha

I personally use a GoPro Hero 4 Black - I figured I can use it for loads more than just a dash cam, and it can record up at 1080p and I think like 100 FPS so thats handy. 4K drains the battery too fast and is low FPS...

Use it for the car, when we go shooting, occasional holidays - Just get a few extra batteries, they're quite cheap and always handy :) Typically one lasts me about 2,5 hours of footage

I'd be amazed if that didn't come back as 50/50 in the very least, if not 100% your fault. Not saying it is for one minute, but unless he admits to pulling into you then I reckon you could be stuffed. :(

Don't muck around with cheaper cams, just get a Blackvue: Clicky for the one I've got. That gets the Dan Seal Of Recommendation, and not a lot does!

I'd be amazed if that didn't come back as 50/50 in the very least, if not 100% your fault. Not saying it is for one minute, but unless he admits to pulling into you then I reckon you could be stuffed. :(

Sadly, this is my recent experience.

If there is no dashcam footage or indpendent witness - then its down to your word against his. And that probably means a 50/50 split liability.

Unless you have encountered a Van driver with a conscience - but what are the chances? :dry:

Edited by The Trouser

Alot of cases are coming back 50/50, ie your word against there's.

Sorry to see hear of your collision, I'd be gutted and be still thinking if only I had did XYZ

I have this and find it very good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00XMMJAVI/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1476551961&sr=8-11π=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=dash+cam+amacam

Don't muck around with cheaper cams, just get a Blackvue: Clicky for the one I've got. That gets the Dan Seal Of Recommendation, and not a lot does!

HOW MUCH..!!! :scare:

That's really not expensive :shrug:

Cheaper than your excess, and will pick out number plates in anything other than pitch black. I um'd and ah'D over getting a cheaper one, then realised it was pointless if the optics didn't do what I asked of them.

That's really not expensive :shrug:

Cheaper than your excess, and will pick out number plates in anything other than pitch black. I um'd and ah'D over getting a cheaper one, then realised it was pointless if the optics didn't do what I asked of them.

I paid £60 for my Monkon and its perfect, yes you can see reg plates and night vision is excellent, post up some vid from yours Ekona, I seriously think £200 is too much for a dash cam, that would definitely attract the thieves,

but then each to their own, that's just me. :shrug:

http://www.techmoan....h-a-screen.html

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZc8v0ZI4rUAozWGjkHTR93yCcSzfjdgko7

Edited by Bandit

Anything you put in the window is going to attract thieves. It's not there for that purpose, it's there for when knobheads drive into my car :lol:

With the comprehensive software and the iOS app, I really don't think the BlackVue can be beaten for that price.

• Like 1