tyres on a budget

snoged

If you have Falken 452's at the moment then I'd try to match the same tyres front to rear as Dan mentioned but as the 452's are discontinued you can't do that unless you can find some part worns.

Can you wait & change all four tyres at once?

I have had Falken 452's in the past as well as their successor the 453 and I have been very pleased with their performance for what is a "mid range" budget tyre imo. I'd go for 453's all round if you can. ;)

thanks for all the advice

rears have plenty left so would be a shame to change them though point on keeping them all the same noted

might try and find some part worn

if not maybe the Kumo's

cant really stretch to all 4 new ones at the moment

all comments appreciated

I have given up buying named brands anymore. I look at the tyre label and research the compound used. Gone are the days where you got what you paid for. I got a full set of budget tyres for my Audi A4 2.0 TDi for £30 per corner! I believe the make was called Superia (cant remember the model number). All I can say is the road noise was non-existent, grip was phenomenal in all conditions including Ice and snow. Compared to the Conti Sports that were on there when I bought it they were far superior and the Conti's were around £110 per corner for 225/45/17's.

I have just had a full set of tyres fitted to the Zed today and they are the Accelera PHI2's. Time will tell but they look like a great tyre and the tread pattern seems very good too. These cost me less than £70 per corner fully fitted for 255/35/19 Front and 285/35/19 Rear. Compared to Conti's that were £207 per corner (I couldnt have bought 2 Conti's for the price I paid for a full set!!)

Yes I know the A4 is different to the Zed but I have used budget tyres on all sorts of modified cars one of which being my Twin Turbo VR-4 pushing 340bhp and weighing in at circa 1,800kg (I actually think they were the same Superia tyres as the A4).

Like I say time will tell with my new tyres on the Zed but they are rated well and early signs seem good.

• Like 1

I had accelera's on our old family wagon an 04 plate ford focus 1.8. Utterly terrible tyres and almost caused a spin on a roundabout once whilst pootling around it, missed my turn off and had to do a full lap of the roundabout. My Celica had budget tyres on it when I bought it, Fullrun they were called, grip was erm, functional, road noise was average except when on full lock they made the most god awful squeeling sound it was almost embarrassing. So happy to have got shot of them.

Had a spirited drive today and had no issues whatsoever at all speeds, round all bends etc. Like I say I have run cheap budget tyres on my VR-4 and they are the tyres I had on when I put in my best lap times around Castle Combe and also the tyres that gave me a better standing start at Santa Pod leading to my fastest 1/4 mile times. This is comparing to Pirrelli P Zero's, Cinturato Blues, Falken FK453's, Kumho Ecsta and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrics. Grip and wear have never been a problem in my own experience either. I have also run Event tyres in the past and the tread patterns and compounds used are exactly the same as Kumho (as they own them or certainly used to) and they were £17 per tyre cheaper. The guys at Kumho actually recommended them to me!

I also agree that labels dont tell you the full story hence why I also research the tyres thoroughly. Based on the fact the VR-4 has 60+ more bhp than the Zed and circa 150lb-ft more torque, if the Acceleras do end up letting me down i will be going for the Superia's.

Event tyres are f*cking horrible: I ran them on my MX5 because I wanted something cheap and crap that would have no grip at all. With all due respect, if you actually think that Event tyres are remotely comparable to Kumhos of any kind then I would suggest you don't really know what you're talking about.

To say that the Acceleras are better than the Eagle F1s is just absolute nonsense. :lol:

Event tyres are f*cking horrible: I ran them on my MX5 because I wanted something cheap and crap that would have no grip at all. With all due respect, if you actually think that Event tyres are remotely comparable to Kumhos of any kind then I would suggest you don't really know what you're talking about.

To say that the Acceleras are better than the Eagle F1s is just absolute nonsense. :lol:

If you actually read my post properly without being blinded by your narrow minded views then you will clearly see that I compared the Superia tyres to the the other list of tyres and not the Acceleras as this is the first time I have used them. I had the Events and the Kumho's next to each other and they were identical.

Im having no more to say on this matter we all have our own preference when it comes to tyres and just about everything else when it comes to cars. I am merely giving my experience of actually driving with the aforementioned tyres on my cars with my driving style. If you want to get personal mate then by all means hit me up in my PM's.

Edited by Erni902

I'm not sure comparing Superia tyres with Eagle F1s strengthens your point in the slightest. It's still utter tosh, as anyone with any experience or knowledge of the subject will attest to. It's like me saying that Tesco Own Brand ketchup is better than Heinz: One person in a billion may think that, but for the rest of people with taste we know it ain't true.

I kept relatively quiet in this thread for the most part, but I'm simply not prepared to keep schtum if people are going to post utter bobbins, especially when folks may not have a huge budget to be running a 350 and can't afford to bin it. No need for PMs, I'll happily keep my posts in the public domain and call people out when they're talking garbage.

Now, if you'd compared the ultra budget stuff you're talking about to other comparable brands then I'd be all over that discussion. I still wouldn't recommend putting them on a heavy powerful sports coupe for love nor money, but at least it would be reasoned debate.

@ioneabee: Point absolutely noted, I've deliberately chosen my words here to allow debate to continue without personal threats. I'm sure Erni is a nice guy, but I absolutely dispute his knowledge in this subject. It's for safety and common sense reasons I post here, not (for once!) because I like the sound of my own voice. Is that even a thing in text?!

My posts are not based on any kind of claimed expert tyre knowledge, they are based on my personal driving experience of each of the tyres in each vehicle. Personally the brands I have spoken about are the ones that have worked FOR ME..my driving style in my car with my setup. On the VR4 the Superia's came straight after the Cinturato Blues I think it was and I noticed a main difference in grip in corners and found I was able to carry marginally more speed through corners. Maybe this was due to tyre pressures or maybe I had driven over some diesel which made the Blues seem less 'grippy' or various other factors but this was my experience.

On the A4 were a set of Conti's and in anything other than bone dry she would understeer badly and wheelspin out of junctions etc. I put the Superias on and the understeer was very much improved and the wheelspin from junctions is now none existent unless its absolutely hammering down.

I cant make a direct comparison between Superia and F1's as they were fitted a fair time apart but just stating how my car felt to me with them on and they kind of driving I was doing with them. The Event's were a long time ago and were on a FWD 1.8 Vectra so by no means a performance car but at the age of 17 I used to 'drive it like I stole it' and cant remember any major dramas. I will try and find out the info I had emailed to me by Kumho with regards to the Events but I remember this because I was stood in the garage looking at 2 identical tread patterns with different names on the sidewall. Thats what sparked me contacting Kumho in the first place. This was several years ago now and I have a feeling I have changed my email address since then but I will endeavour to find it.

My experience is purely that, MY experience of physically using them. Due to this I have not told anyone to specifically go out and buy certain tyres. Maybe the 4 wheel drive and the AYC systems on the VR4 were a massive help transferring power to the ground even with budget tyres. I may find that only being rear wheel drive and having no AYC in the Zed this may become an issue but I suppose I will find out this weekend as I am putting in around 700 miles and the weather is due to be utter rubbish. If they turn out to be inappropriate for the Zed then I shall go for something else.

Not quite sure its fair to trash talk someone else's opinions calling them 'garbage' and tell them that they are stone cold wrong. Everyone has opinions and quite simply you were not there. If you had been in the vehicle with me at the time I drove on each tyre then maybe I could accept that attitude but you were not and you have no idea how each of my cars performed under my style of driving at that time!