US BHP VS UK BHP

nissanman312

The guys over the water seem to quote some big numbers on like for like mods

Is there some reason for this other than than the fact everything has to be massive over in the stated?

Do they measure bhp differently somehow ?

They all seem to quote the sort of whp we see at the fly when going fi etc

Edited by nissanman312

Everything in America is bigger: Horsepower, food, women...

Except mc Donald's I went in for a Big Mac when we were there to see, and it was the same size as over here! I was not impress 😂

:lol: I did exactly the same when I was at LAX once, for some reason I assumed a US Big Mac would be massive. As it was it wasnt even as good as the UK version.

• Like 1

If you are up for reading articles then this one explains why there is no fixed amount for drivetrain losses and how the more power you make the higher losses will be (Something thats overlooked by some tuners)

http://www.superstre...ain-power-loss/

What method do you use to generate a vehicles bhp?

I still feel bhp is a better measure than whp:

I understand that you use a coast down test to determine flywheel power. Why, when wheel power is what makes you go?

The problem with measuring wheel power only, is that many factors can affect the wheel power output - tyre design, temperature and pressure, wheel alignments, gear box oil, viscosity temperature and level, wheel speed, final drive ratios etc.

As an example; take two very similar cars with similar modifications, both are tested on a 'wheel horse power only' dyno, Car A has 12hp more at the wheels than Car B. The owner of Car B and the dyno operator begin looking for problems with the turbo chargers, ECU calibrations, CAM timing etc. If the test had been carried out on the Dastek Dyno, the coast down test would have revealed the transmission loss would have appeared excessively high, thus taking the focus away from the engine fault and pointing us in the direction if the drive line problem. The fault was in fact a partially seized brake caliper, which was converting the power into heat.

Edited by davey_83

Apart from coast down losses not being consistent either

As pointed out here

Coast-down tests are sometimes used on a dyno to attempt to measure frictional losses, but because this test is not dynamic (meaning they're not done while accelerating, but rather while coasting to a stop with the direct drive gear engaged but the clutch depressed so that the engine and transmission aren't linked) it really only captures steady-state drivetrain losses as well as rolling resistance.

Wheel power is pretty much as unadulterated as you can get

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The whole concept of brake horse power is a little weird to be honest, if you look back at where the phrase and workings come from, it's a measurement for how far a single horse can plough a field in a given time.

Now getting back to the size of your dong, that'd be a different kind of ploughing.

Maybe American dirt is thinner than ours and generally weaker so they have higher measures.

Personally I like the folded arm rationale, makes way more sense to me.