Finally a car - Introducing Maxine on P4

The Bounty Bar Kid

So back in january I sold the zed. Very sad times. It wasn't really being driven and I needed the money. Getting married next year.

Anyways since then, I've been using my fiancee's 1.4 206. Didn't need a car of my own so didn't bother me.

Well on Monday I got made redundant (I worked for BHS). Then on Tuesday after two months, I finally got offered a new job. I start on the 6th September. I need a car for this and I'll get paid travel mileage from home. 40p per mile.

Anyways, with the wedding next year and the need to save for a house deposit, I can justify spending too much money ATM. So I'm thinking a Peugeot 206 gti 180. Seen one for £1700 with 45,000 miles. It's what I had before the zed, nippy and only costs 19.7p per mile.

What I'm looking for is some advice on modifying the dash.

Standard looks like this...Screenshot_20160825-231043_zpswwgkij5x.png

I've seen online that someone's changed it to fit a double din headunit. Like this...

Screenshot_20160824-134618_zpsthjwyjgs.png

Anybody got any advice on how I'd do this?

Edited by The Bounty Bar Kid

The gti 180 wasn't a bad car but didn't live up to the expectations of the 205 gti, 106 gti and the 306 gti6. The steering was questionable and as mentioned the gear change was missing but the engine pulled alright and it handled well too.

I think it didn't stand a chance as not only did it not live up to its predecessors but the hot hatches of the time we're turbo or vtec so the little pug got left behind.

So back in january I sold the zed. Very sad times. It wasn't really being driven and I needed the money. Getting married next year.

Anyways since then, I've been using my fiancee's 1.4 206. Didn't need a car of my own so didn't bother me.

Well on Monday I got made redundant (I worked for BHS). Then on Tuesday after two months, I finally got offered a new job. I start on the 6th September. I need a car for this and I'll get paid travel mileage from home. 40p per mile.

Anyways, with the wedding next year and the need to save for a house deposit, I can justify spending too much money ATM. So I'm thinking a Peugeot 206 gti 180. Seen one for £1700 with 45,000 miles.

Anybody got any advice on how I'd do this?

:lol: do it before you get married!!

I'd chose the 206 over an st170. Another over rated ford. Although I wouldn't chose the 206 at all either.

Clio's are cracking little cars tho but for me the 306 gti6 is the best out of the 2.0 n/a category closely followed by the clio and ep3

Edited by 350jimbobz

Personally BBK I'd be looking for a Honda Civic Type R if I was you, ...the EP3 version.

1DSCF1359.jpg

My experience with the Honda CTR was great and it was probably the most reliable car I've owned.

They're fairly quick, high revving yet decent on fuel when driven appropriately and the prices for them are fairly low for what you get. You will have to spend a bit more than £1700 to get one and even then you'll be probably be looking at one with over 100K miles on it but still with a good service history it should be fine.

Just an idea. ;)

Not a fan of its looks and want something low mileage so it might last longer with less problems. Touch wood.

Fair enough on the looks point but for reliability Hondas will beat Peugeots into a bloody mess. :lol:;)

When I got my 2003 CTR it had around 95K miles on it, ...I sold it 3 years later with roughly 115-119K miles on it and in that 3 years I never had to spend a penny on it other than for oil changes, some new tyres & brake pads.

Good look with the Pug if you get one. :thumbs:

Fair play. Is that the norm though or were you just lucky?

I would like to think that's a fairly normal occurrence for the Honda Civic although like all secondhand cars maybe I was just lucky. If you do look at the Hondas though you will find that they are very well thought of especially in the reliability stakes.

Obviously if the cars not well maintained then things will start to go wrong and again as these cars are getting older then again naturally things like bushes etc will start to go. When I owned mine it was around 6-7 years old so now the same car would be 13 years old.

Buyers guide by Evo here: http://www.evo.co.uk/honda/civic-type-r/14073/honda-civic-type-r-ep3-buying-checkpoints

Still worth considering imo but if you don't like the look of them then it's a non starter really isn't it. ;)