Electric boom!

coldel

I know saw that - presume its an americanism of petrol being called gas. That said, they catch fire because they are combustion engines which by their very nature are flammable. How does a battery powered car catch fire?

How does a battery powered car catch fire?

Have a search for a lipo battery exploding, its pretty spectacular. I use lipos in airsoft guns, you are supposed to charge in fire proof bags etc and if they suffer damage or get punctured, thats when it gets nasty ;)

I get ICE cars could, but as mentioned its 100 year old tech and its full of fuel slopping about in a tank along with small explosions going off inside a metal block. I kind of would expect it to have a chance of exploding. Battery cars though, just going up in flames whilst driving along, how has that happened when there is no impact etc? I suspect Tesla are holding back some of the truth in the official report.

I know saw that - presume its an americanism of petrol being called gas. That said, they catch fire because they are combustion engines which by their very nature are flammable. How does a battery powered car catch fire?

It was more that the measurement for success or failure is, so long as they explode less frequently than ICE cars, it's ok!

On a more sensible note, battery's just have different volatile chemicals to gas/petrol/diesel cars, so it's just a different risk.

Lithium is one of the most volatile metals around. The car it self is aluminium which has a much lower melting point than steel. So when it burns it really burns. Add in superchargers now are reportly delivering 150KW, its amazing there hasn't been any more fires. The last one was in Norway which was triggered by a problem with a temporary supercharger.

Porche is working on a 800Volt EV charging solution for the Mission E, wouldn't want to be standing nearby when one of those units go pop.

Edited by gangzoom

When you see the fire damage to another Tesla earlier this year it just shows how the aluminium bodywork 'evaporates' - unlike other burnt out steel cars where the body-shape is still identifiable :scare:

https://electrek.co/...-short-circuit/

Earlier today I was reading the September edition of CAR that has a big feature on Tesla, and whilst the development is impressive, it seems Tesla pay for the 'energy' supplied by the superchargers? Whilst that is not a big deal atm, if sales start to go through the roof will they fork out for increasing numbers of superchargers, where there is also a potential fire issue, and supply at the superchargers cannot be met in good time the alternative of owners plugging into a 13amp socket and waiting hours will be less that appealing. Having been involved with electric cars back some 20 years back, it seems the charging issue remains the biggest issue for shall we say the the non die-hard fans that Tesla still want/need to win over, fires aside.

^I charge my Leaf overnight at home whilst I sleep for about 2p per mile with a 32amp socket. I'll do the same with Tesla. I've done 10k miles now in the Leaf with no issues despite a range of less than 90 miles. Been able to wake up with a fully charged car each morning is so much easier than having to find a petrol station.

If you haven't been in a modern day EV I suggest a test drive, the tech is now astonishing. The Model X is in a different league to any other car on the road, it even makes the S feel rather ordinary, but costs less than the equivalent Range Rover. I cannot wait for ours to arrive sometime Feb 2017:).

Edited by gangzoom

Actually biggest issue I'm having is getting Tesla Birmingham to swtich my Model S order to an X...Considering am asking them to swtich the order to one worth £10k more than the original order they are been unbelievably slow (10 working days and counting).

Apparently they are rushed off their feet, but I still would expect some better communication from them considering we are talking about a car order thats equal to a decent house deposit in London town... I cannot see how they are going to cope when the Model 3 finally comes out.

Edited by gangzoom

And just imagine how useless they'll be when they've actually got your money...

I've thought about cancelling the order but sadly there is no alternative. If the Porsche Mission E is out I would order that instead, but as it stands there is no other EV like the X or S on the market. I suspect the sales teams know this.

Going back to a combustion car is not going to happen, itll be like asking me to ditch the smart phone for a old Nokia, that path is a non starter.