Tesla Model S order cancelled....

gangzoom

So after waiting for ages before putting down our Model S order I've cancelled it.... But don't worry I haven't gone mad, instead of the S we are now expecting a oversized, electric SUV with those silly gull wing doors :)

By no means a 'drivers' car, the X is slower, more expensive, and has less range than the equivalent spec S but as a family wagon there's nothing else on the planet like it, and it makes the S feel a bit rather ordinary. Delivery expected Feb 2017, cannot wait.

28519619880_b28e890134_z_d.jpg

28738030641_0cedcaa852_z_d.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

I must admit I've recently been able to see inside the Tesla models and the interior is just... not that good at all :blush: (sorry!). Besides the big screen (which I don't think looks good), they have thin seats and barely anything else, kinda reminded me of cheaper mini hatchbacks from korea the way it looked. It was very...bland and 'empty' of design or ..anything :ninja: I could never afford one but I don't get the Tesla thing, there fast yes and but inside.... for 'that' kinda money.... :surrender: Well good thing is you'll be able to swiftly deal with just about anything off the line!

Edited by AMT

I think I just lost my lunch ... surely there's something else out there in electric that would meet your requirements

at least the S looks ok

The X is very much been bought In view of family duties. The space in the back in the 6 seater config is amazing, that's much more important to me these days than 0-60 times etc. Price wise it's still cheaper than a Range Rover and Caynne.

We may end up getting a S anyway a few years down the line to replace wife's car. All depends on just how good the Porsche Mission E turns out.

Edited by gangzoom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

^^ If we didn't have a baby (with potentially more in the future) the S is absolutely the better choice, cheaper, quicker, more range, better reliability. BUT as a family wagon to carry the sprog + grandparents the X destroys the S interms of passenger space/comfort, and I know I much rather drive the X than something like this...... :lol:

ford~s-max.jpg

Still despite it's the main job of the X as a family wagon even our base spec version will apparently crack 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Now just have to wait for it be actually built, shipped from the US west cost to east by train, than on to a ship docking in Holland, another trip to get it into the UK, and than finally prepared for UK handover :surrender: .

http://www.motortren...st-test-review/

Edited by gangzoom

Aye, fair point.

Is the X that much bigger inside? I'm guessing you've got more headroom and it's easier to get in and out of, though presumably leg room is similar?

We went to see the X in the showroom fully expecting to come away happy with the S, but once you sit in the back of both cars the difference is night and day. The S is like any normal saloon, really not that much room in the back, and once you add in a baby seat (or 2) there really is no room in the back. The X in comparison is so much bigger, not in just leg room but also head room.

We went for the 6 seater option, essentially 90% of the time the car will be a very big and comfortable 4 seater. But when the grandparents come for the weekend the 3rd row seats is the killer feature. Infact because of all the space between the second row sets when you sit in the third row you have more leg room than even the driver......Yes I know it's all very boring/functional, but your priorities in life changes with kids. Another option is ofcourse to buy a S-Max (or similar) and another 'fun' car but these days I hardly have enough alone time to go and do a number 2 so forget about finding time to go for drive by myself. I know its going to be no Type R, but gull wing doors, massive panoramic windscreen, half decent turn of pace, and I can drive it as hard as I like with no worry about mpg/fuel cost etc. In that regard I'm really looking forwards to the X, certainly will make a change from the Leaf :lol: .

section-interior--seating-for-6.jpg?20150929

Edited by gangzoom

You're very convincing :lol:

Didn't realise they could come with 6 seats.

The leg room reminds me of the Xsara Picasso - there was no armrest / cubby, so if you sat in the back middle seat you could just stick your legs all the way through. :D

TBF, it's still quicker than most stuff on the road. Note quite Z or Model S levels of fun, but I guess it'll do. :thumbs:

You're very convincing :lol:

Given the asking price and my natural hatred of spending money convincing my self was the hardest bit :).

Have half thought about selling it on delivery, Tesla have been increasing prices since I had my order confirmed. The same spec car today costs about £15k more!! Add on the 6 months ish waiting list, the fact future orders will soon not come with free for life supercharging, and increased VED rate from £0 to £310 if taking delivery after April 2017, it may be the first appreciating car I've ever bought!!

Edited by gangzoom

Sorry im only half reading this as just occupying myself whilst having a poo but are you saying a zero emmisions, fully electric Tesla is copping for a ved increase from zero to £310 or have i got that wrong?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ultimately electric cars have to be taxed at some point I would have thought, the free VED is there to convince people to take the risk and move early. As soon as they are more mainstream that revenue stream into government coffers has to be replaced and sure it will be something like a congestion tax of which both petrol and electric are both guilty of.

• Like 1

Sorry im only half reading this as just occupying myself whilst having a poo but are you saying a zero emmisions, fully electric Tesla is copping for a ved increase from zero to £310 or have i got that wrong?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It's not an electric car tax, it's the £40k+ car tax. The actual car is still £0 VED for year one and on wards, but because it costs over £40k you have to pay £310 a year for 5 years. Cannot really argue with that, if you can afford a £40k+ car you should be able to afford £310 a year on VED.

Something similar in size and performance to the X, like a SQ7 will be £800 + £140 + £310 first year tax, than £450 per year for first 5 years than £140. So still alot more than the X, but again if you can afford a SQ7 (£70K list) even the first year £1250 of VED (1.7% of the list price) really shouldn't factor in the decision making process.

Edited by gangzoom