Wrong Fuel used...

jackvyal

Hey everyone,

So I finally picked up my lovely 350z last Friday and had a superb drive down to Goodwood.

Something's worrying me though. I picked up the car with just enough petrol to drive to the nearest petrol station. They only had Unleaded 95, and I just assumed it was fine to use, so I foolishly filled the whole tank with it.

Have driven it quite a bit, without problems to my knowledge. I've been reading a whole bunch of forums today saying that you should never use anything lower than 98RON and now with half a tank of 95RON left I'm in a bit of a panic.

Should I go and top it up with 98RON (i have a shell station near me with V-Power) or wait till the 95 is finished and fill up with 98 from empty?

Also hoping I haven't done any damage to the engine.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jack

The zed should run fine on 95 ron as long as you keep the revs lower as it is more of an issue when revs are high if I remember.

If I were you I'd drive it normally keeping revs below 3.5k to be extra safe.

When nearly empty fill up with premium and enjoy the rest of the rev range :thumbs:

• Like 1

Now if you had filled it up with diesel that would be a mega fail.......or worse.......my mate today put 1/2 litre of screenwash in the petrol tank of his H reg 911 :scare:

Can't imagine how he managed that one as hes been driving nearly 30 years :lol:

Like everyone's said, 95RON is fine, higher revving hotter engines need higher octane fuels to prevent pre-detonation. The 350z is a quick car, but it doesn't really suffer from that problem - I've certainly never heard of anyone having an issue in a 350z.

Don't worry too much. I'm sure it has been run before on it before you purchased it. Just fill some 98 ron when you have used a quarter to half of fuel :)

I've had confirmation that mine has never had 95 in it since new! haha

You have no idea how many times I have arrived at a petrol station only to find they have no 98 fuel left (based on 5 years of owning the car). I just potter along to the next station! :D

Not to be the voice of doom and gloom, and I'm sure one tank won't hurt, but there are a number of incidents on here regarding running the incorrect fuel (And hundreds of threads). Mark from Abbey Motor Sport had a thread a few years back where they were rebuilding an engine which had very serious knock issues due to running lower octane fuel. Long term it will cause issues with premature engine wear or failure. It says 98 RON on the filler cap for a reason, Nissan know what they are talking about.

Not sure why there aren't issues in NI? Maybe the cars are mapped for lower octane or maybe your octane ratings are different to the GB (Like the US)?

I've certainly never heard of anyone having an issue in a 350z.

Have a google, there's a few threads where people have had detonation because of 95 ron. Hundreds of people use 95 with no issues, but some people have been confirmed to have done damage using 95 ron.

first thread I found by a reputable source:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/56308-what-can-happen-if-you-run-your-zed-on-95-ron/

I only joined the forum last year (or was the the year before?) so not as au fait with other peoples experiences. If I run out of fuel and 95 is all thats on offer, I fill up with a tenner until I find momentum or V power then fill the tank to the brim.

I'm sure many others do the same.

No prob. delz0r and I are both in Dublin - all we have on offer at the pumps down hear is 95. (I don't know what the story is up in NI and if they get 98 anymore). There are a good few of us running Zs down here and I genuinely haven't heard of any issues with running 95 exclusively.

Some of us do track days in Mondello regularly during the summer months. One of the guys has an Azure blue for sale which has 130k miles which has also been ran on 95.