FLAMING EXHAUST - HOW??

zebedy

As it sais really. I'm a complete noob regards to techy stuff, so in laymans terms, how does one achieve flames comming out of your exhaust, and could I do it on a standard DE with straight through pipes with no techy engine mods at all other than an induction kit.

Followed an Evo the other night going through Newport tunnel and looked impressive as hell, just short sharp blasts. He did not have one of those cheapy ebay fire flame thrower jobbies!

Totally just want to know how its acheived and why some cars do it and others dont.

thanks

Zeb.

You may have to get it mapped so that it does that. i recently got my DE mapped and was asked if i wanted pops and bangs/flames, so i said yes. The mapper just made sure the ECU drops a little more petrol into the exhaust so it pops/bangs or ignites when the accelerator pedal is lightly touched.

more difficult in a naturally aspirated car, best you'd do there is to run decats and a straight pipe, and enjoy the pops and crackles.

for full on flames, boosted engines tend to give best results, again decatted works best. and what happens is boost kicks in, ecu dumps a load of fuel into the engine, and then throttle snaps shut, so excess unburnt fuel is ignited in the hot exhaust.

also modern cars are worse for flames since they have better control of the Air fuel mixture, naturally an engine running rich will have excess fuel to be burnt in the exhaust, hence why it can be mapped in if requested.

• Like 1

Thread should of just been locked after Rock_Steady's answer :lol: Only relevant and correct answer in here for the OP.

But....flamer kit!?

Back in "the day" kids used to put spark plugs in the tip of their exhaust. I think they were called flamer kits.

1.0 Nova spitting 18ft flames.

Police would pull you and seize vehicle though.

No point if it's going to get you in trouble.

OP Wants natural pops and bangs.

Thread should of just been locked after Rock_Steady's answer :lol: Only relevant and correct answer in here for the OP.

But....flamer kit!?

Back in "the day" kids used to put spark plugs in the tip of their exhaust. I think they were called flamer kits.

1.0 Nova spitting 18ft flames.

Police would pull you and seize vehicle though.

No point if it's going to get you in trouble.

OP Wants natural pops and bangs.

Indeed. The kits are illegal.

could always install an ignition cut system, which cuts the spark instead of cutting fuel at the redline, or when changing gear (so called flat shift)

have a read through this (which grundy started!)

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/94644-rev-limiter-bouncing/

That would be my suggestion.

We did a nice rebuild on a VXR that had punched a hole in the block from running ignition cut. :lol:

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Turbo and a Straight pipe and your on your way :thumbs:

My old s14 used to flame all the time loading up boost in a higher gear then letting off at low rpms, more than likely the reason the engine got noisy after a while

Edited by StevoD

I'm having all the pops n bangs as it is because I'm running straight through pipes. I'm not looking for stupid flame thrower fire just something low key like the evolution I saw. Guessing from the sensible answers then would be a tweaking the map. . Dan......watch it, or I'll start adding some more apostrophes !!!!!!!!