Thinking I shouldn't mod my GT4...

MasonGT4

Well as of recently I got hold of an absolute mint GT4, it's my first Z and tbh the more I'm learning about the cars the more I think I shouldn't own it...the problem is, I like to do modifications and if I change too much on this car it would be a shame because I didn't have any idea how rare they are...I searched YouTube for reviews and nothing, looked at them for sale on here and only seen one in the last year!

Currently it's in mint condition with all history, original wheels (all be now black), everything it should have is there with the only change being the exhaust....I could let it go to someone who's more of a purist or something who likes original, but that is also a problem as I think it could be hard to sell? Oh and by modify I mean cut the arches for fenders etc which imo would be a shame to do to this!

I dont think you will have a problem selling a Gt4 if its the right price.

Personally i think you will find a de harder to sell if the arches have been chopped with fender extensions and probably other similar bodykit parts to complement, your market will be very limited.

But enjoy the car and if thats what you want to do i wouldnt worry what the next owner wants :)

As the generation that grew up with Gran Turismo start reaching mid-life crisis, and start looking for a sports car that re-ignites their youth, there's an outside chance the GT4 will command very good money... but I wouldn't bank on it... and permanently defacing a car is always going to hurt the resale, whether its a GT4 or a bog-standard DE.

So don't worry about it, cut away!

i'd sell the GT4 and buy a standard DE if you're planning on cutting the arches. I think it would be a shame to but up a mint limited edition car, when there are already plenty of DEs that need some work. And any car with cut arches/big bodykits will be a lot harder to sell.

Also, what number GT4 is it? Ken may have some history on the car.

that's just like not smashing the **** outta the mrs just so the next guy can.......... :lol:

I wouldn't worry about selling the car on buddy just enjoy it and do whatever you please with regards to mods

Karl

then again, they may not... I think GT4s will go up in value, there were only 700 to start and there will be even less mint ones if people chop them up and put bodykits on.

sell it on for a tidy profit, buy a cheaper normal DE, use the money saved for modifications :thumbs:

• Like 1

As someone who owns a proper unicorn I have to agree with a lot of the previous posts.

GT4's are a rarity & molesting one that's in mint condition seems completely illogical - If you don't care about keeping the car as an investment & want to do something special, by all means go ahead.

There are plenty of 380RS with garish body kits, aftermarket turbos & interior revamps kicking around Japan but not many in the condition of when they left omori. Each molested one makes a stock one rarer & more expensive, it'll be no different with the GT4.

Well the arches I wanna put on are rocket bunny which involves chopping, and fortunetley I didn't pay a huge premium for this as I did a deal with my Skyline which didn't owe me much at all.

Brillomaster it's number 47

These aren't common to find. If its a keeper do what you wish but cutting it up would be criminal. If you had a Stradivarius would you re string it ?.

If you had a Stradivarius would you re string it ?.

Its hardly a Strad though is it? :lol:

If its sub 10K miles and still has its original tyres then maybe its worth keeping, but storage will cost more than you'll make on it in real terms anyway. Other than that, and I know Ill get boo's and hisses, they arent different enough from a "normal" 350Z to become collectors items so just enjoy it like any other Z33 :)

• Like 2

With the rocket bunny in mind, sell the gt4, but a cat c/d and put the money you save into giving it the go to compliment the show, i like the rb kit, but couldnt live with myself if it didnt have the go and pretty much every modern hot hatch/diesel rep mobile kept leaving you behind.

Edited by Jetpilot

It's your car and you should do what you like.

If you want just another opinion, I would have looked for a GT... paid less for it and used the difference to contribute to the mods.

As the generation that grew up with Gran Turismo start reaching mid-life crisis, and start looking for a sports car that re-ignites their youth, there's an outside chance the GT4 will command very good money... but I wouldn't bank on it... and permanently defacing a car is always going to hurt the resale, whether its a GT4 or a bog-standard DE.

So don't worry about it, cut away!

Does 27 count as a mid-life crisis? :)