Help needed stubborn bolts!

Mike_89

I've managed to remove stubborn bolts on my suspension. However, I need to remove the Brembo Calipers to replace brake discs etc.

I have tried soaking the bolts in WD-40 and still unable to crack them. I am a little worried about applying heat to the caliper bolts because of brake fluid and seals etc.. Can anybody offer any advice in removing these crazy stubborn bolts?

First off have you got a breaker bar ? This will give you far superior leverage but just make sure that the socket is a very good fit tap it on to make sure you will be surprised how much this will help, also, the bar will help more if it's over 2 foot long :thumbs:

First off have you got a breaker bar ? This will give you far superior leverage but just make sure that the socket is a very good fit tap it on to make sure you will be surprised how much this will help, also, the bar will help more if it's over 2 foot long :thumbs:

Yep I have a breaker bar, but its just over a foot. Still not budging 😠

The fronts tend to be very tight sometimes.

As has been said, use a good quality socket that will not slip.

Use a 600mm breaker bar, and get the leverage angle right, and you will be on the home straight.

Edited by ZMANALEX
  • Like 2

as said a foot long breaker bar isnt going to cut it. Its not far off the size of a ratchet!

2ft long minimum and a good angle.......doing this on the deck is going to make it significantly more tricky

If still having no luck mix acetone and automatic transmission fluid 50:50 in a sprayer bottle. Shake well to get them to mix. Then spray on, wait a while and then hopefully bobs your uncle.

Sounds a bit like the "bikeman4u" special sauce

• Like 1

I used physics to do mine too, lowering the car on the jack with the breaker bar braced, just a couple of millimeters is enough to 'crack' the bolt. The brake bolts aren't rusted on as they are alloy, but they are freakin' tight. Once you have done it you will wonder what all the fuss was about :) I used the 'lowering on the jack' method to make sure they're tight on replacement too :teeth:

I used the 'lowering on the jack' method to make sure they're tight on replacement too :teeth:

I'd be using my big torque wrench to put them back on instead of going for FT; there is such a thing as over tight and it can be as bad as leaving them too loose.

I would also use a six sided socket to help avoid rounding off the bolts.

Also, this 100x over.

One of these

QBVPoZNm.jpg

Is far better than one of these

ex9L0tam.jpg

• Like 1