Clutch Pedal Not Returning Back Up

monkeybrain1234

After working the clutch a bit today in some traffic, it started to not want to return from about halfway. It came back with some encouragment from under the pedal.

It did this a few times, then traffic cleared. Got to my meeting, got back in car 3 hours later and pedal was fine with no issues.

Have researched a bit on the forum on this and it seems it could be a couple of things: Slave Cylinder or/and fluid.

Looked at my clutch fluid and its rather black (something I read which could indicate its been cooked) Picture below shows the colour of the new brake fluid as reference. (1 month old brake fluid) Does the clutch fluid look cooked???

CGLD8tM.jpg?1

No idea if my slave is on the outside of the gearbox or not, its a 2005 DE. But my question is should I just change the fluid and hope for the best or do the slave and fluid?

Also how easy is it to change the fluid myself, do I need a bleed kit like when bleeding the brakes? :)

Also, if you're the second owner, ita possible previous owner may have tweaked the pedal travel adjustment (done lying on your back in the footwell) I did this initially to improve the bite point which I always found too high, it worked fine most of the time, but like you, when the car got hot after standing still in traffic it would get sticky and have to be pulled up. Readjusted it back after that and never got the issue back... just something else to consider. Btw, it's an add to adjust it from the wheel well... much swearing!

• Like 1

Sorry mods... tried to correct spelling and it seems to have posted it three times?!

Alright alright. I get your point. :lol: lol.

Thanks for heads up. I had adjusted it myself 2 years ago and did find that if you took it too far you got the issue of not returning but it felt very different to this feeling. For last 2 years it's been perfect so think fluid change is a good idea as it's dark in colour too.

I had exactly same issue.

I've replaced slave cylinder and at same time changed normal clutch line to a braided one and put new Motul 660 fluid. Tested it this Sunday, while trying go get into Santa Pod for 2.5hrs - worked absolutely perfectly.

• Like 2

^^^ What Vlad said. ^^^

Same issue happened to me, pooed myself at the time, same solution solved it. These will start to pop up now the weather is warming up. Must admit though I got my tech to change it as I'm a danger to myself and others with a spanner.

P.S. - tidied up your 37 posts blaze :lol:

• Like 1

If it was me, and it was when I owned mine, I'd change the master cylinder at the same time. No more effort, and since the real ballache is the bleeding of the system afterwards it makes sense to do both as you really don't want to come back and have to do that again...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Don't forget that this is also a symptom of boiled / old clutch fluid , Horsham Dev recommend changing clutch fluid every two years regardless of milage...good tip

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just started on mine too, only on longer journeys when its hot. 😒

I've already got a braided line on mine so will have to have a another go at Tue fluid before going further.

Edited by jamez87

Just to let you know that I recently carried out a Full all fluids, all stuff service just to be sure that it had all been done.

My guy basically said that all the fluids were fine APART from the Clutch fluid which was as black as my car.

After replacing it clutch action is much more smooth, and I never noticed before but the clutch was only coming up to 90% of its travel.

I thought everything was normal... Now I've had it replaced I can see the difference!

Night and day!