The 370z, a future collector?

5 o'clock tea

Hey lucky Zed owners!

I was just wondering if given the small production numbers of the 370z, it had chances of becoming a collector in the future? When I see prices of the latest Nismo edition going below the £30k mark with just a few thousands miles on the clock, I tend to think that this car is not receiving the love it deserves, and therefore never will.

I have always been tempted by one (now own a Renault Sport Megane 250 as I need rear seats), and would happily consider having a Nismo for the weekend alongside another cheap runabout for commute. However I'd like to think of it as an investment if possible. Is it the road tax, the weight and the badge that altogether make the 370 a 'not so popular' car? You could get into Porsche 911 ownership (think 996 C4S) for slightly less money and they seem to hold their values much better, as well as providing a good driving experience.

Biased opinions from owners are much welcome ;)

Agree with Rob - it needs some kind of genuine motorsport connection.

Regarding the comparison to the 996 C4S... well, all cars will hold their value at some level, but it depends what that level is, and a Porsche will always be higher than a comparable Nissan ;)

Its always tough to tell, I think the Nismo will hold value as its the best version of the current range. The next Z will be a turbo car.

Just depends what people want in the future.

With regards to the 996 I think you'd be better saving for a 997.2 as that was the last of the hydraulic steering n/a Porsches and will be worth a lot more in the future. I don't like the 996 personally and think it would cost more to maintain.

350s seem to have bottomed out at £5000 for a decent well looked after example ... my opinion is that eventually 350s will be worth more than 370s and the the GT4 will be the cream of the crop ... I'd buy a black one tomorrow if the right vehicle blame available, and that would be purely as an investment ... the latest Nismo 370 is also desirable in my book but is still too new to provide an investment opportunity ...

... yet

• Like 2

If its predecessors are anything to go by then you are looking at holding the car in good nick for at least another 20 years, the money you spend on it in that time, would it be worth it - unless you got a big lock up somewhere...

• Like 1

Thanks for all your answers!

I should stick with the Megane and upgrade to a Trophy 275, but it is FWD and French!

You are certainly right about the 997.2s but then the 996s are the last cars for which Porsche didn't create a long list of mandatory options for 'resale value' purposes :dry: Looking at buying a car with your head on is not fun at all, I just want to enjoy it!

I'll remember your advice for the GT4, they are rare indeed.

Much talking up of prices on the Supra on their forum as some cars are over 20years old but as yet still has to be proved.They are getting scarce now too and do have a cult following which for now the 350/370,s don't have.I'm going to buy a 370 and won't care about depreciation,life,s for living.

350s seem to have bottomed out at £5000 for a decent well looked after example ... my opinion is that eventually 350s will be worth more than 370s and the the GT4 will be the cream of the crop ... I'd buy a black one tomorrow if the right vehicle blame available, and that would be purely as an investment ... the latest Nismo 370 is also desirable in my book but is still too new to provide an investment opportunity ...

... yet

This is an interesting opinion. What makes you think that 50s will be worth more than 70s? There is still a good 5k difference between them and the 70s have now stopped depreciating as the 50s have hit there bottom.

Not arguing just interested to understand your thoughts :)

... yet

This is an interesting opinion. What makes you think that 50s will be worth more than 70s? There is still a good 5k difference between them and the 70s have now stopped depreciating as the 50s have hit there bottom.

Not arguing just interested to understand your thoughts :)

IMO

1) the 350 is a better design aesthetically

2) the 350 is more iconic in the same way as the 240 and 260 are (I don't think anybody prefers the 280 to the earlier cars)

3) there are more nice low mileage good examples of the 350 to choose from but still few enough to attract a premium

4) and finally and more importantly, the 350 doesn't have fangs

H

• Like 2

I think some jap cars will be collectable and have small rises in value, look at the early GTRs and the NSX. Pound for pound you would've made far more money investing those initial sums in a fezza or porsche. Scarcity more important than motorsport heritage sometimes, lots of valuable cars out there with no homologation provenance at all.

I think the 350 in a low mileage decent unmolested example would still fetch a decent price one day, opposed to the 370 as it has not been to everybody's liking. A car in future years to come, depends purely to supply and demand with as said before an original low mileage example being top of the tree. The 240/260z became the sought after models, where as their later replacements ie 280zx 300zx have never had the same attraction. :)

Much talking up of prices on the Supra on their forum as some cars are over 20years old but as yet still has to be proved.They are getting scarce now too and do have a cult following which for now the 350/370,s don't have.I'm going to buy a 370 and won't care about depreciation,life,s for living.

Totally agree!

A few "facts" from the How Many Left website:-

No. of 350z's registered on the road as of 2015 is 7048, of which 152 GT4's remain.

No. of 370z's registered on the road as of 2015 is 1999, and rising.

But it should be noted that both models were/have been on sale for about 7 years.

The 7048 includes JDM models,

The 350 has three entry types.

The 370 has fourteen entry types. Even the Nismo has become a "GT Nismo V6" as of August last year.

How much is a Datsun Sunny worth?? There are only (shown) 38 left.

If its predecessors are anything to go by then you are looking at holding the car in good nick for at least another 20 years, the money you spend on it in that time, would it be worth it - unless you got a big lock up somewhere...

Which you'll also be paying rent on too or could be renting out if you were lucky enough to own it.

• 4 months later...