Alternative car recommendations

ilogikal1

Yep, it's another one of those hypothetical "what car" threads... and I'm not even sorry.

So;

Up to £12,000 to spend (could be a little flexible but not by a huge amount).

Ideally reliable - it would spend most of the week sat gathering dust to be used for fun on a weekend, trips to the shops and infrequent long journeys, so;

Must be fun on what passes for roads down south, but also be comfortable for 250+ mile runs a dozen times a year.

Preferably wouldn't cost more than a Z to run/maintain.

Ideally no less practical (in terms of usable space) than a Z.

Definitely something that doesn't need a million (or even half a dozen) modifications to make it any good.

What have you got for me then?

Definitely a Leaf. Or a Tesla. Best cars ever, don't you know?

;)

A Tesla for £12k? As if Elon would ever let his not-yet-invented-but-widely-promised-to-revolutionise-the-galaxy-tech fall to such obtainable levels... :p

Been looking at the specs of the potential model I'm think of going for.....No change from £70K, and prices are going up another 4% in April (they've already gone up 8% in the last 6 month) +/- another price increase when the 100kWh battery upgrade comes :surrender:.

On the flip side £12K is a stupid amount of money to spend on a Leaf.

So as much as I know how much some of you guys love EVs, theres nothing on the market at that kind of price bracket.

;)

;)

A Tesla for £12k? As if Elon would ever let his not-yet-invented-but-widely-promised-to-revolutionise-the-galaxy-tech fall to such obtainable levels... :p

Been looking at the specs of the potential model I'm think of going for.....No change from £70K, and prices are going up another 4% in April (they've already gone up 8% in the last 6 month) +/- another price increase when the 100kWh battery upgrade comes :surrender:.

On the flip side £12K is a stupid amount of money to spend on a Leaf.

So as much as I know how much some of you guys love EVs, theres nothing on the market at that kind of price bracket.

Oh god, you started him off again :teeth:

On the flip side £12 is a stupid amount of money to spend on a Leaf.

Finally, something you've said that I can agree with. ;)

I thought I'd precluded any EV's with the 250+ mile range stipulation. However for clarity;

Any EV is a flat out no.

For the other suggestions;

RX-8 - considered these before the Z, not a fan of having to ring it's neck to get anything out of the engine. Also applies to anything with VTEC yo!

Impreza - been there, done that. But you're on the right lines there, Dan.

M3 - Not a fan of the E46. Don't know why, never driven one, but I'd just be disappointed if I saw that on the drive every day tbh.

Cayman - definite contender there.

My other thoughts at the moment are Monaro, and something Lotus Elise based (and a train ticket for the long journeys :lol: ).

• Like 1

I nearly said Elise, but ruled it out based on you wanting space. The boot is bigger than you think, but still not 350 levels of size.

Monaro would be a hoot, definitely. Mk2 TT V6 DSG as an off-the-radar option? Good looking, beautiful sounding engine, nippy enough to be fun. Not the last word in dynamics, but a solid car.

In, cos I'm thinking the same thing. So far I've been perusing on autotrader

Toybaru - since Dan said they were manly in his excellent article. Green light :thumbs:

Monaro, but the interior sucks. Is it ok to get a VXR8 instead?

6 Series (but I know how you feel about zee Bavarians already).

R32 Golf? - AWD, V6 and you know that it kills polar bears almost as well as thier diesels. I also like the Scirocco, shame it's FF, but as you've not ruled that out, what about...

MAZDA MPS?

Leon Cupra K1?

I've always had a FF crush on FD2s

Series 2 Elise isn't that bad on long trips. I've done a 140 mile trip before and it's surprisingly comfy, it's the noise that gets to your after a while and if it's hot you need working air con (which most don't have) as it gets very very hot when stuck in traffic.

Series 2 Elise isn't that bad on long trips. I've done a 140 mile trip before and it's surprisingly comfy, it's the noise that gets to your after a while and if it's hot you need working air con (which most don't have) as it gets very very hot when stuck in traffic.

Had to drive my VX220 home 180 miles, no problem at all, a great drive - admittedly was very excited but it was not uncomfortable. In terms of boot space, missus and I went on a trip and packed two 'carry on luggage' sized suitcases in the boot.

Supercharged VX220 and a travel card

BMW 135i

Seat Leon Cupra K1

Renaultsport Megane

AR Brera

I wasn't a fan of the Leon - largely due to the driving position, I think, but it's not for me.

Megane & Brera I would have to drive, but I'll keep them in mind.

135i is being investigated too and probably more likely than the Megane/Brera tbh.

VX220 is still very much on my list, along with the Elise and this;

Is definitely worth knowing, cheers. :thumbs:

Less space than the Z isn't ideal, but I could always work around that... somehow. :lol: The Elise is something I've wanted for a while, so it will happen one day but the head may have to prevail... for now. Possibly. It might not.

I nearly said Elise, but ruled it out based on you wanting space. The boot is bigger than you think, but still not 350 levels of size.

Monaro would be a hoot, definitely. Mk2 TT V6 DSG as an off-the-radar option? Good looking, beautiful sounding engine, nippy enough to be fun. Not the last word in dynamics, but a solid car.

TT added to the "to test drive" list. :teeth:

TVR Chimera? A touch over £12k, but V8, looks pretty, boot space not too bad. Not really any less reliable than say an RX8.

I've been looking at these actually. :lol: No good ones for £12k though.

In, cos I'm thinking the same thing. So far I've been perusing on autotrader

Toybaru - since Dan said they were manly in his excellent article. Green light :thumbs:

Monaro, but the interior sucks. Is it ok to get a VXR8 instead?

6 Series (but I know how you feel about zee Bavarians already).

R32 Golf? - AWD, V6 and you know that it kills polar bears almost as well as thier diesels. I also like the Scirocco, shame it's FF, but as you've not ruled that out, what about...

MAZDA MPS?

Leon Cupra K1?

I've always had a FF crush on FD2s

My concern with the Toyobaru is that it may feel a little underpowered, as fun as it may be in the corners, after the Z. I appreciate the Z isn't all that in standard guise, but again it's something I'd have to drive before ruling it in or out.

I know what you mean about the interior of the Monaro, it is a bit... Vauxhall :yuck: . VXR8 would be more than acceptable for me, but for the price tag. Sadly.

Considered the 6 series, but seeing what Dan has upgraded on his already it might be a little bit more of an investment than I'm willing to spend at the moment with similar upgrades (M badges and Grundy's ironing board bolted to the boot aside).

R32 Golf is a possibility.

MPS and Leon, as above, just don't do anything for me. Looking at my list of potentials, it may be an WWD thing. :lol:

Maybe in a couple more decades. ;)

S2000 plus some choice upgrades? I know you said no Vtak yo, but they're genuinely good cars.

You won't get a decent TVR for £12K, not any more.

They are great cars, and I have previously enjoyed driving the S2000, but I just don't think I could live with one unless it was a 2nd car.

Investigated, not considered... :lol:

I don't find them offensive (unless like the E46... I still don't know why), but I've not given them a second look in their entire existence. That could be down to more than the usual BMW camouflage-of-bland though. ;)