Over the moon!

JetSet

I never thought I'd see the day. Well, today I got stuck at some temporary traffic lights at the top of our lane just over half a mile away. Couldn't believe what I saw....BT were installing an Infinity box and laying cables. When I got home I checked the BT Infinity Map page and sure enough our house status is now "Build" :yahoo: . So, I should have something better than the 2.0 to 2.5 megs I currently get in about 5 months time. Considering my house is the furthest house from the exchange some 7kms away and there's just a handful of other properties, well 2 actually plus a small number of businesses I honestly never thought that BT would bother laying fibre around here, I'm absolutely elated.

No idea what speed I'll get, it depends on how far they'll lay the fibre I guess, there is a box about 200 metres away and there is an underground cable laid to it which I presume will be copper right now.

Pete

• Like 5

Now you get the added bonus of the pikeys n gippo's stealing the copper like they did to us. The exchange is about a mile away n they dug it all up n nicked a bunch of it. Longest 3 days of my life not having internet ;)

Congratulations!

We'll never get you off here now, silver surfing to your hearts content! :lol::surrender:

...........meanwhile back in the wild west, "We're working with goverment and industry to explore ways blah, blah, blah,........ but don't have a plan for your area yet " :mad:

Back to the buffering vids for me then :yawn:

Wow bet you are pleased with that :)

Absolutely. Apart from the increased speed I'm hoping for a more reliable connection. The problem is and has been for a long time losing the internet at the same time every day apart from Sundays. It goes down between 7:00 and 7:30 every morning, The council offices up the road could well be the problem, they arrive in work and immediately connect to the internet, overloading it and my router has to be reset before I can get my connection back up. Some days, maybe twice a week it also goes down between 13:00 and 13:30 presumably when they get back from their lunch. Darned annoying :rant:

Pete

Well apparently surveying our area and then 9 month away, I'll believe that when I see it.

Last time I looked about 3 months ago they were "exploring solutions" in our area so they seem to have moved pretty fast since then. Because the main lane around here had a lot of issues with ground movement, all the poles both electric and telephone were leaning over, they were buried under the road several years ago,so it should be relatively easy to thread the fibre through.

The Welsh Assembly have funding faster broadband connections to rural and isolated areas but the fact that Flintshire County Council have their main highways depot within yards of where the new cabinet has gone in has led me to suspect its been pressure from them that's been the trigger to actually install it.

Pete

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Slow progress.....it's been 6 months now at the Build stage, BT site said I would be connected in 5 months back them. However, today the progress icon has now reached the next stage, known as "Connect", which says I should be connected in like 4 months, so it's taken 6 months to advance 1 month...not good. I've not seen a BT engineer or van around here in months so what the connect stage actually means is anyone's guess :surrender:

Pete

Shame it wasn`t Virgin laying cables and you were going to get 200Mbps!

Hahaa, my experience with Virgin was shocking!!!! They couldnt even get a telephone line to work in central London. Signed up for an 18 month contract and it was cancelled after 2 with no cost due to their incompetence.

Now with hyperoptic up to 1GB :) oh yes and get about 70mb up!!!

BTW - at my previous place, when we did finally get BT Fibre, about 4 miles from exchange, speed was around 50mb and was rather consist.

Edited by grahamc

We`re with Sky since we moved cos there`s no Virgin cable in the village and get close to the 40MB sometimes as promised with their fibre option. Only trouble is quite often it drops down to just a couple of MB or even less for some unknown reason as I thought Sky weren't suppose to slow you down like Virgin did with their "traffic management".

Go with Plusnet, not BT or Sky, when you finally have option.

I'm what you would call an ultra heavy user. Appx 1.5TB of data a month. I run a couple of servers...and other stuff.

They don't bat an eyelid. Solid connection. And fast. Way better pricing than any other (good) provider.

I wouldn't touch Virgin. They're throttle happy. They hate people like me anyway.

Must have missed this first time round, or Id have told you about the fibre cable thats right outside my office, the one thats been there for just coming up for 2 years and WE STILL CANT CONNECT TO IT.

Try running an office with 7 people in it over 2 x 3.5 MPS connection, its great. Honest.

I'm not sure how this is going to work out. There is about 200m of copper cable on poles between our house and the point where the cable goes underground. There is some sort of underground junction there and the cable runs underground for another 400m or so before it reaches the new infinity cabinet. The cables were rerouted underground a few years ago so they may be fibre or they may not. The 200m cable that runs from our house was replaced 7 or so years ago so should be of decent quality (I hope). So, a minimum of 200m and a maximum of 600m of copper cable from the infinity cabinet. This will obviously involve a speed "hit" on my line but what this will be is anyone's guess.

Right now I'm with Talk Talk who transferred my account that I had with AOL, they apparently are the same company. I do not have a current contract so I'm open to switching and I'm currently thinking of going BT as they throw in BT Sport. One of the problems I have is that because BT own the lines you cannot get faults sorted as you have to inform your provider who then contact BT, slows things down especially living out in the wilds. Anyway, I'm open to suggestions once I'm actually on fibre :)

Pete

• 1 year later...

Update!!!!! Cabinet has now been upgraded, connected and I'm going live on The 21st of November. I would have thought I'd have seen an increase in speed just by the box being connected but not at all. BT are offering 2-4mb as I stand or 30-40mb on the fibre line.

Pete 

Welcome to 2008-2009. Still a few years to catch up... :( 

Bastards are spending money on football matches rather than improving the backbone of the economy in a digital era! Internet speed in UK, which is supposed or used to be one of the top economies in the world, it's absolutely ridiculous. 

I’ve no issue with BT spending money on sports to generate profits to plough into infrastructure. My personal issue is that something as key as digital comms shouldn’t be left to a private company to do on their own: The government should be pushing them to do far more, and to subsidise connections as well. 

Putting billions into HS2 for limited benefit of one part of the country is ridiculous, especially when it could be used to benefit every single person throughout the entire country instead. 

My guys in Romania are always having a dig at me, on a daily basis, on how fast the internet is there even in rural areas. 1000Mbps is the norm for download and 500Mbps for upload

http://www.rcs-rds.ro/internet-digi-net/fiberlink?t=internet-fix&pachet=digi_net_fiberlink_1000

That's only £7.5/month!!! 

The fastest option from Virgin Media is 300Mbit download for £42/month... 

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband-only.html

Yeah, it's pretty disgusting that we're so far behind. What worries me is that there doesn't seem to be any political will at all to improve things. I get that as a country we're skint, but then at least incentivise the private sector to do something about it themselves.