Parking Fine - Parking Eye, any experiences?

14N

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your comments and input.

I have appealed via email (PE provide a handy link to submit an appeal online) and as the stay was genuinely connected to a pre-existing medical condition, I'm hoping they see sense.

We shall see. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Ian :thumbs:

• Like 1

I remember being in a similar situation two years ago. I was so sick while driving home from my office, nearly fainted on M1, but managed to drag the car to the first services and parked there. Called my wife to come pick me up as I couldn't drive anymore. My wife came and we left in her car, leaving my car in the car park with hazard lights on. Went straight to GP, from there to A&I.

Got back to pick up the car the same day, in the evening, after feeling much better.

They've sent me a parking fine a few days later. I called to explain what happened, they didn't care, kept asking to pay the fine. I said I won't pay anything, they can check the CCTV camera and I will provide evidence from GP if they need me to. Kept sending letters, probably 5-6, but after a while they stopped. I never paid anything.

Are you in Scotland or England?

If Scotland, ignore it. Do not respond to it. Do not pay it. They will not take you to court over it as the laws over parking are very different and even if they did, consumer law dictates that the owner of the car park can only seek financial redress equivalent to what a paying customer would have paid and even then, only if the car park was full at the time you used it, which I'm betting they aren't.

£100 for an overstay that in real terms costs £1 an hour? That'd be ****ing right!

England...? God knows.

I wouldn't pay it. There's no way they lost £100 of business by you parking there. Send them a cheque for the time that you did take, equal to the money they would have lost. That's fair. What they're doing is extortion.

No. Beavis. How many more times?! :lol:

Jesus the lord our saviour on a bicycle, ANYONE SAYING DON'T PAY IT, READ THE BEVIS CASE.

"The consequence of this case is that the genuine pre-estimate of loss argument against high parking charges will no longer work. Parking charges do not need to represent loss, but instead not be extravagant or unconscionable."

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2015-0116.html

http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/parkingeye-vs-beavis/

http://www.hardwicke.co.uk/insights/articles/the-law-on-penalties-after-parkingeye-v-beavis

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your comments and input.

I have appealed via email (PE provide a handy link to submit an appeal online) and as the stay was genuinely connected to a pre-existing medical condition, I'm hoping they see sense.

We shall see. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Ian :thumbs:

Good luck. Some years ago I had some 'fun' issues with a parking fine I didn't know about till at 6Am the bailiffs were banging on the front door!!

As some of the others have said, if the appeal fails just pay the fine. It's annoying but there's other things in life to worry about. With-in a week of paying the fine I bet you wouldn't even remember it.

I wouldn't pay it. There's no way they lost £100 of business by you parking there. Send them a cheque for the time that you did take, equal to the money they would have lost. That's fair. What they're doing is extortion.

No. Beavis. How many more times?! :lol:

I know, I know, the law says otherwise, but I tend to use my principles and my own yard stick of fairness when deciding if I'll pay a private company.

I was ticketed for parking a couple of years ago in Mold by UK Parking and they set the fine at £80, then £160.

I wrote to them and said they had zero chance of getting a penny for such a ludicrous penaly. I invited them to take me to court and warned them that even if they won, they still wouldn't get a penny, not a chance in hell.

They dropped it.

The law and justice rarely meet in this country anymore.

• Like 2

As you admit, that was a couple of years ago. Now they would take you to court, and they'd win.

The best thing people can do is pay attention when they're parking, and avoid any extra charges at all. No extra charges = no money for the PPCs = they go out of business and sensible parking can start again.