Traffic police ?

PPod

Hi could anyone shed some light on the difference between police and traffic police? Like what can the traffic police actually do? Cheers have googled but mixed answers keep coming up also indian police for some reason haha

Hmm that sounds exactly like the ones that pulled me just there haha. As they say "wee could hear your heavy foot miles away so must of been going fast" nope 68mph. And now in there system feel picked on lol

• Like 1

I had that in the past in a different car that was far louder than my zed. The one and only time I got lairy with them as they had absolutely no evidence at all and I knew I had done nothing wrong. They were around the corner at the scene of an accident and heard me coming so pulled me over to talk down to me - they didn't get very far!

I do usually respect them but that pee'd me off.

My wife is trained in NLP, transactional analysis etc and she finds the programmes she sees where police deal with the public just ridiculous. The fact that their job is to primarily engage with the public and that most of them have no idea how to do it just quite shocking...the way they patronise, try to humiliate people even when the person is being quite reasonable is nothing short of a farce.

• Like 1

I'm never sure where I stand with Traffic Police, they don't seem quite as scary as the ones that chase you down the M4, blue lights flashing, arm gesticulating at the hard shoulder! It's always fun sitting in the back of a police car though....lots of gadgets lol

My friend sent me this recently.....not sure how much is true or propaganda but sounds like there's going to be more cracking of the whips in terms of speeding!

http://www.driving.co.uk/news/drivers-warned-to-stick-to-70mph-as-motorway-speed-cameras-arrive-by-stealth/

Edit: sorry.....mis-read! Assumed you meant Traffic Officers!

Edited by Kraziekatz1

I don't know why they feel they have the right to chastise members of the public as though we're naughty children. They're public servants and not above the law themselves.

A few years ago I was heading into Manchester along a dual carriage way. A learner driver was in the right hand lane doing barely 20 and there was no traffic to his left. I overtook gently on the left.

A Police Person pulled up beside me shortly after at a set of lights.

"Oi, driver. You pratt! You okay with undertaking are you?"

As I began to explain myself he cut me off and said "pull up over there and take your keys out of the ignition"

Was driving my mum to chemo session which I explained we were about to be late for.

He didn't care and said it didn't matter as I probably wouldn't get her there in one piece.

Didn't do much for public relations that day.

Edited by TT350
  • Like 1

To be honest I've never had a bad experience, I've been pulled twice and been treated fairly. Both times I was speeding and was rightly caught, I treated the officers with respect and that was reciprocated.

When I started reading this thread I thought you were referring to "traffic officers" or as I heard from a highway maintenance guy once call them "motorway Wombles" :lol:

Been stopped once for doing 104mph average over a 1/4 mile and was let off with 3pts. Massive brownie points for the copper that day.

Been stopped once because he thought I was speeding (I wasn't) as I entered a roundabout, and he still pulled out in front of me. Massive knobcheeseface points for the copper that day.

Swings and roundabouts.

Edited by Ekona

Been stopped once for doing 104mpg average over a 1/4 mile and was let off with 3pts. Massive brownie points for the copper that day.

Been stopped once because he thought I was speeding (I wasn't) as I entered a roundabout, and he still pulled out in front of me. Massive knobcheeseface points for the copper that day.

Swings and roundabouts.

104mpg?

Hybrid?

• Like 2

Been stopped once for doing 104mph average over a 1/4 mile and was let off with 3pts. Massive brownie points for the copper that day.

Swings and roundabouts.

Swings and roundabouts exactly!

I think it really depends who pulls you over, and what kind of day they've had.

When I started reading this thread I thought you were referring to "traffic officers" or as I heard from a highway maintenance guy once call them "motorway Wombles" :lol:

Traffic Officers, they're based at the top of our lane at the council depot, they usually attend to breakdowns where there is no hard shoulder (On The A55/A494), minor accidents things like that, their main job is to keep traffic flowing. They carry a variety of things to help them but don't have any police powers or ANPR but their vans have blue lights and look like police vans. I believe they are employed by VOSA but work in conjunction with the police

Pete

I'd rather deal with UK police any day.

In Malaysia some of the traffic cops proper take the Michael.

Pull over a half empty lorry accusing you of being overweight.

To prove your innocence you have to go across town and waste a day queing to be weighed at their official depot.

.........or pay the "on the spot fine" :rant:

Weekends see loads of traffic cops at night catching drink drivers :thumbs:

Does sod all coz the rich kids just pay "on the spot fines" :dry:

When my dad's car got impounded for a parking violation he went to the station to pay his ticket.

He was greeted by the seargent on the desk who took payment but said they were too understaffed to release his car today and to come back next week!

Dad kicked off and said the ticket stated he could get car back same day.

He was then offered the " on the spot fine!" in addition to the ticket fee.

When he said paying both was unfair the seargent said loudly in front of the whole station that times were hard and he had a family to support :wacko:

Give me condescending UK traffic cops any day over those jokers any day.

I'd rather deal with UK police any day.

In Malaysia....

I don't know much about the Police forces of other countries or how they're governed and funded. In Asian countries where there isn't as much Political Correctness as there is here and human rights tend to get mildly to grossly violated (China/Thailand etc).

But I do know that here Police are governed closely and funded by the public to serve the public and protect us, not talk down to us and keep us under suspicion until proven innocent.

Traffic Officers, they're based at the top of our lane at the council depot, they usually attend to breakdowns where there is no hard shoulder (On The A55/A494), minor accidents things like that, their main job is to keep traffic flowing. They carry a variety of things to help them but don't have any police powers or ANPR but their vans have blue lights and look like police vans. I believe they are employed by VOSA but work in conjunction with the police

Pete

Highways Agency Traffic Officers use various combinations of amber and red lights, plus alternating headlights, for different circumstances. They asked for blue lights when the units were formed, but they were not allowed. Blue lights are only for emergency vehicles, e.g. Police, Fire, Ambulance, Bomb Disposal, Mountain Rescue.

Pete

Highways Agency Traffic Officers use various combinations of amber and red lights, plus alternating headlights, for different circumstances. They asked for blue lights when the units were formed, but they were not allowed. Blue lights are only for emergency vehicles, e.g. Police, Fire, Ambulance, Bomb Disposal, Mountain Rescue.

O.K, Your correct. I often see them and just assumed the lights on the top were blue. Not that long ago I witnessed an accident and they were first on the scene. They immediately stopped the traffic as one of the vehicles was up against the central barrier facing the wrong way. Because the accident was on a busy dual carriageway they had been in contact with the police and advised me and a couple of other witnesses to drive to a service area, luckily only a few hundred yards away where the police would meet us and take statements. Did a good job, got the car turned round and declared it was driveable. The other vehicle involved was an HGV which was undamaged.

Pete

Pete

Apologies, I know what they are I was just expecting this thread to be about them. :)