Looking at getting a bike

Joeycuz

After turning 25, and having some changes in my life I've decided I want to get a motorbike as a weekend toy. I have absolutely no experience and would have to undertake the CBT and full

Test along with the theory and I aim to have this done by Easter.

My question is, realistically what bike should I be looking to purchase. I would be buying new and have a budget of around 10k after I free up some cash. I really do like the Suzuki gsxr but I feel this is abit extreme for a first bike, even if I just went for the 600.

Does anyone on here ride and point me in the right direction. Like I say I have no

Experience and would like to test the water before I fully commit myself.

Thanks

if it's only going to be a toy then a sportsbike may be the right option, depends why you're buying it and what you want from a bike - if it's power, speed, handling etc you want then sportsbike all the way but it won't be massively comfy so leisurely jaunts around the countryside are going to be less suited

also bear in mind you say 'just the 600'...although it might only be 600cc these things are rapid. I've ridden and raced (off road) bikes since I was 13 and had a go on a friends cbr600rr recently and even now I'm still surprised how quickly they pick up - 110mph in 2nd gear type pick up...

If I was just starting out I'd go for something like an FZ6N - powerful enough for a beginner, not going to get away from you and naked bikes look cool... but that gets down to personal preference. I'd also halve your budgete and buy something pretty much brand new. £5k gets you an awful lot of bike

Hi Joey,

I've been riding sports bikes for 13 years solidly on track and road, owning about 15 bikes and they pretty much ruled my life from the age of 17 to 23, 30 now nearly.

I personally and just my opinion, would lower your budget because the general rule of thumb is, that you always drop your first bike. Crashing a bike is quite easy compared to crashing a car for obvious reasons. If money isn't an issue then go for it but if you're a sports bikes fan and want to track or ride faster, majority will dump it.

A bike only goes as fast as you twist the throttle, 600cc sports bikes are very forgiving, excellent handling and won't kill you if you whack the throttle open (unless you're on cold tyres or in the wet). My friend recently got a k4 GSXR 600, now a 750, they are good bikes to learn on and for purely road riding, you seriously don't need anything faster, they still do 170mph roughly.

Do you want to do track days? Right from the start, as soon as you can, do an advanced riding course and as many as you can. Because you're new, your mind and learning process will be like a sponge so get rid of early bad habits and let experienced professionals guide you to being a decent rider.

I am genuinely lucky to be alive! Seriously lucky, a few inches here and there and I would be dead. Also I have been to 10 funerals, 6 of them bike related, so it's important you have riding friends around you, that like to have fun but are sensible, "time and place" is crucial.

I started off on a Cagiva Mito 125cc for a year, then an NC30 for a year which is 60bhp, then I jumped at 18 and a half years of age, to a 1999 Fireblade back in 2005 which was 132rwbhp(stage 2 dyno jet kit). Everyone said I would kill myself, even my Police Sergeant said I would die lol.

Honda CBR600F like the above are great learning bikes but IMHO, virtually all 600cc bikes are great learners. 1000cc is too big a jump, they do 95mph in first gear and if you are heavy handed mid-corner, will totally spit you off. I've seen it so many times on track.

Triumph Daytona 675 is a great bike and a personal fav of mine. Sounds amazing, handles even better and looks OK.

Whatever you do, enjoy it. Nurburgring is close, European roads are amazing, France is the best riding country IMHO, we have the best selection of tracks in the world and European trackdays are cheap enough.

I still remember picking up this nearly new back in 2008, such a lovely bike.

meboots.jpg

Edited by Jewell
  • Like 3

I think looking outside of sports bikes for your first bike makes a lot of sense , as mentioned the chance of a drop , even just dropping it as you get used to low speed manoeuvring would yield a big bill on a faired sports bike something like a Hornet or Fazer makes a lot of sense and they do crash a lot better and parts are plentiful

If it were me I'd buy something like this

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512199564206?search-target=usedbikes&make=honda&model=cb600_hornet&sort=default&quicksearch=true&radius=1500&page=1&postcode=rg207lq&logcode=p

Get a years riding under my belt and then buy something a little more exotic

Some good advice there Joey. It depends on what you plan to do on the bike, a lot of commuting type riding I'd say a fazer or hornet, but if you want to do track days a CBR600 is a great starter bike - easy to ride day to day, and more than quick enough for a novice. That's how I started, many years ago, and was so glad I did. I'd also agree with the earlier comments about not spending that much money on your first bike, it's highly likely you'll have your first spill on it (hopefully you won't tho), and enjoy it without worrying about it too much. Buy something cheaper, get a year or so experience then buy yourself something nice.

Wow, thankyou so much for all the input and sharing your experiences. Really didn't expect the positivity.

Safety is at the forefront and after having an accident in my Zed recently it kind of puts everything into perspective. At the end of the day you have no metal cage protecting you if you end up having an Incident.

I think I will Opt for the 600 as going all out for a first bike would be pretty irrisonsable in my opinion. Not to mention the insurance would destroy me!

Thanks again guys and feel free to post pics of your bikes, I truly have fell in love haha.

Just my tuppence worth... if you're thinking a new 600cc Sports bike for a first bike, then do bear in mind that they're not always the easiest things to learn on. The engines can be very unforgiving as they lack any torque whatsoever low down, and everything comes in a rush high up the rev range. (That said, the Triumph 675 has some nice torque)

Although it sounds counter-intuitive, if you're dead-set on starting on a new sportsbike it's often easier on a road-biased 1000, like the Fireblade. Something like that has bags of torque low-down to make it more forgiving, and you don't HAVE to use all the rev-range / throttle.

You're going to have to learn good throttle control at some point anyway :D

Ive thought about this in the past but I would end up killing myself.

I can't add anything from a bike perspective but I'm surprised no one has mentioned budgeting for safety gear, leathers, boots, gloves helmet etc and maybe worth you keeping in mind.

Edit: good luck with your plans :thumbs:

Edited by Fodder

Just my tuppence worth... if you're thinking a new 600cc Sports bike for a first bike, then do bear in mind that they're not always the easiest things to learn on. The engines can be very unforgiving as they lack any torque whatsoever low down, and everything comes in a rush high up the rev range. (That said, the Triumph 675 has some nice torque)

Although it sounds counter-intuitive, if you're dead-set on starting on a new sportsbike it's often easier on a road-biased 1000, like the Fireblade. Something like that has bags of torque low-down to make it more forgiving, and you don't HAVE to use all the rev-range / throttle.

Sorry but I disagree completely. Can you define to me please how it's very unforgiving?

A 600cc sportsbike has hardly any torque and is very top end, so if I snapped the throttle open or accidentally hit a bump and tugged the throttle, nothing bad would really happen as it lacks that instant power.

a 1000cc sportsbike which has the power to weight ratio of a Bugatti Veyron, has instant power, especially under 50mph, it's nothing but vicious.

A 600cc is almost too fast for the road but its rev range is so high (14000 red line), you will have plenty of time to correct any wrongdoing.

• Like 2

Sorry but I disagree completely.

No need to apologise... it's all just opinions, and mine are based purely on my experience and that of my friend I learnt to ride with.

Ultimately, it's horses for courses, everyone learns differently.

The ideal scenario would be for the OP to arrange extended test rides on the bikes he most favours... but being a new rider, I can't imagine many dealerships going in for that!

A 600cc sportsbike is kinda like a type R Honda , fast enough but needs precise handling to get the best out of it. Personally they dont float my boat i prefer a bit more beef to go with the burger

• Like 1

Wow, thankyou so much for all the input and sharing your experiences. Really didn't expect the positivity.

Safety is at the forefront and after having an accident in my Zed recently it kind of puts everything into perspective. At the end of the day you have no metal cage protecting you if you end up having an Incident.

I think I will Opt for the 600 as going all out for a first bike would be pretty irrisonsable in my opinion. Not to mention the insurance would destroy me!

Thanks again guys and feel free to post pics of your bikes, I truly have fell in love haha.

Hi,

If and when you have a bike in mind if you need any help with insurance please feel free to drop me a line. I'm sure of Bikesure team would be able to help.

Regards,

Dan.

My opinion - the roads are no fun any more. Do an off-road day on a motocross track or green laning. You'll enjoy it far more , will go more than fast enough to scare yourself and while you'll fall off more, you are far less likely to die.

• Like 1

Some good advice here. Ive been a biker for 20 years now, currently have an R1, a Ducati 996 and a ZX7R in my garage. Ive schooled loads of mates who decided to get bikes after seeing mine and despite how much advice and guidance I give them, they nearly all crash within the first year.

Baring that in mind, I would definitely recommend getting an older second hand bike. You can get a hell of a bike now for 2->3k. Personally id go for an older 600. I used to have a 1998 ZX6R many years ago whilst my ZX7R was off the road and that was a perfect first bike. In fact 2 of my mates had the same bike as their first bike and got on really well with it. The riding position wasnt as extreme as most sports bikes, it looked great and it was easy to ride. It was quick enough and had a really nice big smooth power delivery. I found it handled well and was great value for money. Ive not checked what they go for these days, but id guess they would be well below the 2k mark. An older CBR600 is another great bike like that. When you get onto the GSXR600`s & R6`s etc, I found they do have a higher power band and a bit more extreme riding position and so are not as easy to ride.

When I learnt, the first bike you went for was a 250cc. Then after a while you`d maybe upgrade to a 400cc bike, then a 600cc, then after a few years maybe a 750. Its worth noting now that the typical new 600cc bike now has more power than a 1000cc bike had back in the day and so these people jumping straight onto a 600cc bike now, its like me passing my test back in the day and jumping straight onto a FZR1000 or something.

So why does everyone seem to crash in the first year of having a bike? I find its a mixture of lack of confidence in the bikes abilities and not being experienced enough in reading other drivers reactions/road conditions. Any fool can accelerate fast on a bike, but not everyone knows how far they can lean the bike over or how fast you can take certain corners, how to read the road or how to flick the bike from one way to another quickly etc. When I used to go out with mates for a ride out id always say to them not to try and keep up with the faster guys. The guys in front would always keep one eye on whose behind them, and every so often slow down and let everyone catch up. But, people get carried away and push themselves beyond their ability. A bit like on track days. When I used to work with the California Superbike School, you`d loose count of the number of guys who`d crash on the first bend. People tend to overcook it coming into the bend, and have no confidence in how far over you can actually lean the bike, so panic, brake and the bike just stands itself up and you go straight on off the road/track. Had they just leaned the bike over a bit more and not panic`d the chances are they would have made the bend perfectly fine.

You are much better off, going into the bend slowly, getting a feel for how far you can lean over - getting to know your bike, and powering out. You will be surprised at how far you can lean it over. It will take a good few months and a lot of miles before you do get the confidence and start to understand your bike. Ive had my R1 now for 14 years and know it like its just an extension of my body. I know exactly what gears to be in, and am confident enough on it that I can "press on" on roads im not overly familiar with, knowing I can brake/flick it around any surprise bends like its a 125. My 996 on the other hand, ive only had that 3 years, and even though im an experienced biker I am no where near as confident on it and am still nowhere near knowing its limits.

The other key thing besides rider confidence is road awareness. Assume every other driver will try to kill you. Never assume that they have seen you. Even if you have eye contact with them. Ive mentioned on here before, but even when im driving my car, im looking about 3 or 4 cars ahead to see what people are doing. For example, the guy 2 cars ahead has just looked over his left shoulder. He`s not indicating, but that head movement usually means he is about to turn left. The lorry in the left hand land, he`s going faster than the one up ahead, he`s also got foreign plates on, so chances are its LHD and he`ll pull straight out in front of me as he might not see me in his blind spot. That Nissan Micra in the LH land at the roundabout up ahead is being driven by Miss Marple, shes doing 1mph in 1st. Chances are she will turn right at the roundabout and is in the wrong lane. etc. etc. Its stuff like this you soon learn. Id also recommend getting as many miles in on your own on your bike. No matter how level headed you are, once you get out with mates, the competitive edge comes into play and its so easy to push yourself beyond your abilities.

Besides the bike, dont forget to factor in cost of leathers/lid/gloves/boots etc. When I first past my test, I went out and spent nearly 2 grand on the best Dianese/Arai/Alpine Stars gear I could get. Now adays, I bought my last set of leathers off ebay. 2nd hand, same as the £1500 Dianese race suit I got, but only £200 second hand. Fitted a treat. Same with gloves & boots. If you know your size, just buy 2nd hand. One item I would never buy 2nd hand though is the helmet. Always get a new one, and try a few on as they all fit slightly differently.

Good luck!

• Like 2

My opinion - the roads are no fun any more. Do an off-road day on a motocross track or green laning. You'll enjoy it far more , will go more than fast enough to scare yourself and while you'll fall off more, you are far less likely to die.

well since we've decided for him that he'll be spending around £3k for the road bike, we can probably say £1000 for half decent kit that leaves £6k to play with...so £3k ktm exc or similar, a further £1k for mx/enduro kit which leaves £2k to blow on a trials bike just to hone those technical skills...

How does that sound Joey? :D

• Like 2

Try and not go nuts on your first bike, don't take it the wrong way but within the first two years is when most bikers will drop or fall off......

Get something cheap for the first bike get two years out the way and learn to ride then go get something you really want.

After two years you'll be bored of a 600 and want bigger anyway