Working @ Google

WINKJ

As above, got a mate at Apple who switched from Google. Seemed to rate Google as a workplace, but then US workers think 12 days annual leave is reasonable, so they aren't afraid to get worked pretty hard. However tough it is, chance to work somewhere like that is something worth a crack at. Especially if they can get you into the US.

I keep asking for a job but the closest they can get me to San Francisco is Cork :lol:

• Like 1

I know a guy who works at Google in San Franciso. From what he said, they pay very low wages compared to other companies as they know people want to have "worked for google" on their CV. Like a lot of big companies they try and turn the work environment into somewhere where you dont need to leave and can work longer hours. So, he said that people tend to get their at the crack of dawn, have breakfast there, meetings then lunch and evening meal there etc. They seem to only go home to sleep. He does get the opportunity to travel though and has just come back from spending some time in Asia at one of Googles other sites. Oh, and he gets to trial some of the google gadgets etc before they are released!

Edited by rabbitstew

As above, got a mate at Apple who switched from Google. Seemed to rate Google as a workplace, but then US workers think 12 days annual leave is reasonable, so they aren't afraid to get worked pretty hard. However tough it is, chance to work somewhere like that is something worth a crack at. Especially if they can get you into the US.

I keep asking for a job but the closest they can get me to San Francisco is Cork :lol:

Lol! The Google Cork office is pretty epic though. They have a slide!

1413545116-d242f1a49735d0f2cdf767a52d045b29-600x800.jpg

From my experience Google offices are colourful work playgrounds. As with a lot of modern offices like PayPal etc they pioneered the adventure playground office environment with things like quiet chill areas, meeting boots and lots of bean bags and height adjustable work stations etc etc.

I can't comment on what they are like to work for though :)

Thanks gents, this is all supporting the impression that I have formed from "googling" about google. Especially that you will be expected to put in the hours and really work hard.

You're all right regarding the office environment, they are exceptional places to be. From the food to the tech its all pretty sublime.

Any more info, keep it coming!

Seems I may become a noogle!

noogle.jpeg

• Like 1

Lol! The Google Cork office is pretty epic though. They have a slide!

1413545116-d242f1a49735d0f2cdf767a52d045b29-600x800.jpg

But they've wrapped one of their employees in cling film!!

• Like 3

I have not worked for Google, but I have been to the Mountain View Campus a few times B)

Office environment is amazing, Canteen is top class, you have eat all day for free, company benefits are also very good. By all accounts the people I know love their jobs, but they don't get paid to dos about . . but that being said. . I don't get paid to dos about. Once you get in to the "US Work ethic" its just like any other Silicon Valley Company.

Google have always been one of the best companies to work for in the world . . nuff said.

Good Luck :thumbs:

• Like 1

Not directly but we've been involved during the construction process at some of their places, mad mad places! The Facebook office is similar too and Microsoft, seems to be the way these big corporations are going now. Everyone at Microsoft was either very happy or on drugs.

Edited by Jp606

Seems I may become a noogle!

Just a tad envious....

Have delt directly with a few Silicon Valley tech companies in the last 12 months, love their attitude, it's always a case of 'we can do it' even with the craziest ideas - Unlike here where in the UK any new idea is greeted with moans and groans as no one wants to try any distruptive change :(.

I have no doubt they work you to death though, but if your having at fun work it matter less?? Either way good luck :)

Edited by gangzoom

Have delt directly with a few Silicon Valley tech companies in the last 12 months, love their attitude, it's always a case of 'we can do it' even with the craziest ideas - Unlike here where in the UK any new idea is greeted with moans and groans as no one wants to try any distruptive change :(.

This ^^

I was amazed at the attitudes of the folk I work with when I first started, Its a very different world to working for a UK/Europe based company.