The 2016 F1 chat thread

Ebized

well, im kind of glad that they're doing something to try and mix up the grids, even if I think its the wrong thing... in reality I don't think it will make that much difference to the grand scheme of things - there might be the odd bit of shuffling but by and large the fastest car will start at the front of the pack, which mean more often than not mean they'll drive off into the distance and not be seen again until the chequered flag, which is dull.

all I really want to see is that if you're a good driver and have a fast car, then you're put in a position where you actually have to use it and do some overtaking - either start the leading cars in the championship lower down the grid so they have to do some overtaking, or let them start at the front of the grid, but slow them down so the slower cars have a better chance of catching them.

the most memorable races are where a quick car for some reason starts from the back - the current qualifying system encourages boring races as the cars start the race already in their predicted finishing positions.

F1 does not need fake grids. It's never had them, it's never needed them. If you want that crap go watch BTCC and their shopping boxes.

What's the point being the fastest when you've got to start further back? It's just creating fake drama.

whats the point in racing at all if theres no race? in the normal qualifying format, fast cars start first, stay there, then win. middling cars start in the middle, stay there, then finish in the middle. slow cars bumble round at the back.

wheres the drama? a 5 year old could look at the finishing order of the first race, and make a pretty accurate prediction of the rest of the championship. in fact, i'll do it right now - Hamilton, Rosberg, Vettel, Bottas, Raikkonen, Massa.

why bother racing at all? design a car, run the simulations, award the trophy to the team that designed the fastest car. nobody even needs to leave their design office.

and yeah, i cant wait for the btcc to start up again, actual racing thats exciting to watch! i'll watch F1 as well, and dream of how much better it would be with reverse grids and success ballast.

Don't get me wrong, I vastly prefer WEC to F1, but that doesn't mean I want F1 to start running grids full of GP2 cars and diesels. It's a unique formula that has stood alone as the pinnacle of motorsport with a very simple set of rules (ignoring the tech side, which is now just legal jargon).

Monaco. What's the point having mixed grids there? Impossible to overtake unless it's in the pits or the undercut, so if you stick the Mercs at the back then that's where they'll finish. Why bother trying to be great if you get punished? Gives the middle teams a better shot at winning the championship, but is that fair?

The best car & driver should win, not the one that had the most luck with flukey grids. I'd rather Kimi won every race in a Ferrari at a canter, than Lewis win by luck. And I HATE Kimi and I HATE Ferrari! :lol:

Hey - leave Kimi out of this. The man's a legend :p

You're trying to apply logic to this (much like you are to politics in the Brexit thread :lol:), whereas really, throwing silly ideas into the mix will make things different, which in turn will stop people who don't really like motorsport getting bored and watching some other dross on a Sunday afternoon. You do realise that Bernie's sole concern is his bank balance, right?

• Like 1

Dan, I reckon a few long term fans will leave, but most will probably keep watching and moan about the new rules on some car forum that Bernie doesn't care about. Getting the casuals onside is more important I'd imagine, because it expands the viewer base and it's a far bigger market.

Jetpilot, yes of course there are a handful of drivers that would do the job in the right car. I don't personally feel that Kimi is still in that group, even though he's one of my favourites. It really feels like he's in the twilight years of his career (relatively speaking), although I'd love to see him find his feet again and show them who's boss :D

Haha, no need to mince your words :p

I think you're probably being a bit harsh there, and probably knowingly also. If he really wasn't up for it, I suspect he'd have been binned by now. I don't get the impression that Ferrari are the kind of team to have someone just hang around on the payroll for a few years.

Shame they can't do a budget based qualifying giving that last season the the difference was about £380million might not help the slower cars much but mid pack cars would benefit ie Williams, force India

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Actually, that I wouldn't mind. It would also help lower costs, something F1 is desperate for.

Exactly my maths isn't the best but here's 2015s budget list d3da7ea8dd645b06458323188319515e.jpg that percentage would surely put midfield teams in the mix I remember silverstone last year when the Williams jumped Mercedes at the start and it took them half the race to get back in front, throw force India and maybe Toro rosso in there and that's good racing imo

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

So, seems the Channel 4 presenting line up has been announced, and it looks to be a bit up and down...

I'm pretty happy that Ben Edwards and David Coulthard will remain in the main commentary box, thought they were good on the Beeb. And I like that they will have actual drivers in the form of Webber, Wolff, Chandhok and Senna giving insights.

However, not so keen on Steve Jones being the main anchorman - never really liked him or any of the shows he's done... plus does he know anything about formula 1? Hopefully the wealth of talent around him will make up for it.

And of course Murray is back! legend. And Jordan is back! Not so good :lol:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123168

I'm pretty excited to watch the new coverage in two weeks time - and not only cos we got a 48" UHD TV at xmas and it'll look really good in HD :D

Edited by brillomaster

See, I like Steve Jones, he's a down to earth kind of guy. Not that I'll be watching any C4 coverage as I've got Sky, but it'll be nice to see Murray back in whatever limited position he has. Wolff, Chandhok and Senna can get FRO though, I'm not sure I could find a less charismatic bunch of people in motorsport.

but are there any drivers who are charismatic? although noted you didn't include Webber in your list. maybe given time i'll come round to Steve Jones, it might have been the shows that he was in rather than him himself.

problem is surely drivers are fundamentally boring, its commentators who in most cases bring action to sports. Though fundamentally nothing will change for me as if I've recorded a full live race, I normally skip through to the qualifying report, then skip through to the race, then switch off after the podium, and since race commentary will be the same as it was on the BBC, not that much will change.

although the thing I'm probably most happy about with channel 4 having the terrestrial coverage - they're gonna keep The Chain! which everyone knows is THE theme tune to formula 1 :D

I'm actually really looking forward to the season starting again, will Ferrari be a serious threat to Mercedes, and will Rosberg be a serious threat to Hamilton? and will McLaren be a serious threat to anyone?

I do have a bit of a mancrush on Webber, yeah :lol:

I've tended to find qualy more exciting than some of the races in recent years, although with the mess of a format we're getting this year I'm not so sure that'll be the same. Ferrari will get the odd when when Merc **** it up, Rosberg will win the championship and Lewis will spend the whole season moaning, and McLaren will probably beat Manor. Maybe.