The 2016 F1 chat thread

Ebized

well that's that then. after the end of 2018 i'll no longer be watching Formula 1, plenty of other race series I can watch for free on youtube like blancpain sprint and endurance, Lamborghini super trofeo and DTM. seems like a terrible decision for the fans, but probably a great deal for Bernie's pockets.

Thankfully, the BTCC is guaranteed live and free to air on ITV4 until 2022... season kicks off 2-3 April, packed grid of 32 cars, 11 manufacturers represented. Oh, and no hybrids, fuel saving or tyre management, every driver is free to drive flat out for 3 ~20 minute races. Happy days!

Sky sports channels coverage is superb whatever you watch, golf, cricket, f1, football etc Its just a shame for me they dont want MotoGp any more as i now have to get BT Sport (also very good) but that is literally the only regular thing i watch on there, even more bizarre is Sky sponsor a MotoGp team :wacko: So i have no idea why anyone wouldnt want it, except for cutting your nose off to spite your face. :surrender:

Edited by Jetpilot

I see that the powers that be have decided a possible U turn on the U turn (an O turn??) when it comes to the qualifying and that in fact some form of elimination qualy will still occur at Bahrain. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-now-evaluating-elimination-qualifying-tweaks-for-bahrain-681873/

Nice to see that they all have clear plans of action when it comes to the future of the sport.

Christ on a f*****g bike what a bunch of retards. trying to go to a halfway house on a format change that nobody wanted in the first place, and that failed spectacularly in Australia? I don't give a rats arse what happens to qualifying, there wasn't anything wrong with the current system. if you want to make the grid positions more unpredictable then do something to level out the performance of the cars.

I predict the grid for Bahrain (and every grandprix this season in fact) will be Mercedes 1-2, Ferrari 3-4, Redbull 5-6, Williams 7-8, Toro Rosso 9-10, Renault 11-12. any deviation from this order will purely be down to unforeseen circumstances/breakages or driver error.

actually theres a thought, give each of the drivers a random unspecified drug before qualifying, would certainly mix up the grid when Hamilton is high as a kite, vettel is running round on speed and raikkonen thinks the cars are magic moonbuggies due to the ecstasy.

Edited by brillomaster

Great minds :)

I say just let the buggers race properly. Sack off Pirelli, and get Michelin to produce a version of the soft compound tyre they have for the WEC LMP1 cars. They can then run balls to the wall, with the same lifespan of the tyre. Let the drivers really work for it concentration wise, that'll do more to shake up results than anything PLUS is brings driver talent back into the equation.

Completely agree, never been a fan of this nurse the tyres rubbish that we have now. Having better mechanical grip would also alleviate some of the issue with following in dirty aero and with drivers pushing flat out, small mistakes here and there will follow which will give some nice close on track battles.

And of course leave qualifying alone!!!

Sad to see that Alonso's injuries will prevent him from competing this weekend. Excited to see what Stoffel can do though. He smashed the GP2 championship pretty nicely, will be interesting to see how he does alongside Button since I suspect it is more than likely there are a few people looking to shoehorn him into that seat for next year.

Looking forward to having all the coverage on peasant TV too since I am too tight for sky, working from home tomorrow ( read watching practice sessions) gives me a nice start to the weekend.

Shame the loathsome elimination qualy will be back but I would take another race day like Aus no probs. Or in fact the last few Bahrain GPs, been a pretty good circuit after it's initial boring streak.

gonna skip quali as usual (regardless of format) but looking forward to the race, come on ferrari!

After the AUS qualy effort I said if they don't change it I wouldn't make a conscious effort to make it. By which I mean I wouldn't avoid going out with the misses or find a pub with it on while out etc (she is very patient with the f1 passion). So if its a sunny Saturday I may well end up missing it. (This is a big deal to me I think I have only missed about 4 competitive sessions live in the last 20 years or so, I'm 26 so most of my life)

nah, its all about the race for me, a qualifying report from Lee is all I need.

I think Bahrain is going to be key for the rest of the season, if Ferrari can beat either Mercedes then there might be a decent title fight, even if they lead for a while then get overtaken later on there will be hope. as long as its not Mercedes front row, lead for the entire race and Mercedes 1-2 on the podium.

Do you think Hamilton was getting bored of winning all the time? whenever I play F1 games on the xbox, I always come in for a pit stop at the end of lap one which lets everybody past, then see how far up the order I can get. so much more interesting than doing a lights to flag victory and simply trying to focus on beating my own lap times.

nah, its all about the race for me, a qualifying report from Lee is all I need.

I think Bahrain is going to be key for the rest of the season, if Ferrari can beat either Mercedes then there might be a decent title fight, even if they lead for a while then get overtaken later on there will be hope. as long as its not Mercedes front row, lead for the entire race and Mercedes 1-2 on the podium.

Do you think Hamilton was getting bored of winning all the time? whenever I play F1 games on the xbox, I always come in for a pit stop at the end of lap one which lets everybody past, then see how far up the order I can get. so much more interesting than doing a lights to flag victory and simply trying to focus on beating my own lap times.

Ha I used to do the same sort of thing. Let the lights go out, sit on the grid until I was lapped by the whole field and then see if I could pull it back for the win. Much more entertaining that way.

unfortunately entertaining racing doesn't pay as much as boring winning does... maybe Alonso was on to something when he switched to McLaren - he'll be getting paid as much if not more than when he was at Ferrari, but now he has the challenge/enjoyment of nursing a crap car through the field and trying to get results when the odds are heavily stacked against him. if I was previous world champ and was getting on a bit, that's how i'd want to go out, making a bad car look good. conversely Raikkonen is making a good car look bad :lol:

Hahaha yes :lol: Although I bet Alonso would trade his salary for a third world title. Bit strange that his win rate is surprisingly low since leaving Maccer in 2007 given that he is one of the best 3 on the grid. Don't get me wrong some very solid Ferrari seasons but given the 2010-2013 Redbull and the current Merc domination his stature as a prolific winner is being diminished which is a shame. I still rate him as one of the best, with Ham and Vet at the moment but we could really do with him being back up the front. It would make races and the title fight more interesting. Here's hoping Macca sort themselves out quickly and/or a surprise switch to Merc/Ferrari for Alonso next year. Raikkonen, as great as he was in the 2003-2007 era no longer deserves the Ferrari seat in my opinion and I still hold the belief that Rosberg will not be in that Merc seat next year unless his first half of the season is stunning.

Kimi doesn't deserve an F1 seat full stop. Completely wrong attitude for a top-level driver IMHO. I'd rather see someone like Ricciardo in there, but Vettel would block that. Alonso and Button should both have hung up their helmets in F1 before this year: That McLaren is a shambles, and their careers are now tainted by a shocker of a car. I don't think either of them are having much fun pootling around at the back of the grid, and that much is clear from their attitudes and interviews. Not their fault the car is a duffer, but atm it looks like they're sticking around purely for the money. They'd both be in high demand if they switched to prototype racing...

I know, can't wait! :D

The 919 looks very good this year, however I think Porsche will find it very hard to do as well as last year again. The RSR looks good but I suspect development will stall against the 488, and the Audi will provide a sterner test in P1 this year.

Watched FP3 with interest, Ferrari looking pretty good. Interested to see if Torro Rosso can maintain their Aus form. Will be nice to see Stoffel up against Jenson this weekend.

Looking forward to qualifying now (stupid format excluded). Weather here is pants so time to change plugs and drive belt before the next session I think.

Well Hamilton pulled that out the bag. Didn't think it was on initially.

Think this reiterated that the structure of the qualifying means the ends of sessions are @*!#.

Cracking effort by Grosjean, Vandoorne and Wehrlein too.