The 2016 F1 chat thread

Ebized

If you have either an Apple or Android phone, and an Apple TV or a Chromecast, you can Airplay or Cast the screen to the TV.

Basically if you've got an iPhone or iPad you need an ATV3 (I have a brand new one here I can let go for cheaps if you want it), or if you have an Samsung or other billionty phone or tablet you need to buy a £30 Chromecast device. Both plug straight into your HDMI TV, and let you stream stuff.

They're awesome. Or you can plug your laptop into your TV via HDMI (if you have an HDMI out port on it), but you won't get the sound from anywhere other than the laptop.

I swear I'm not as tech retarded as this thread is making me look. I'm even a consultant and trainer for statistical programming so write code/software etc all day everyday.

But never been massive into TV (motorsport about the only thing I watch currently). I don't have an apple or android phone. I must be one of the few people left on blackberry. I find the keyboard invaluable especially since most contact with clients is email based and I'm often on the move.

So never got into the phone app/corresponding gadget scene.

Have HDMI out on a couple of my laptops. Your comment about no sound is confusing though since HDMI is both audio and video. This is how I watch the sky only f1 at the moment (since I don't have sky) and have no issues gettin sound through the tele.

• Like 1

Ps (sorry for separate post, on phone, editing a ball ache) thanks for the ATV offer, I will politely decline since I own nothing made by apple and wouldn't know where to start with it and likely never use it. TV/films just generally not my thing.

I swear I'm not as tech retarded as this thread is making me look. I'm even a consultant and trainer for statistical programming so write code/software etc all day everyday.

This made me laugh though. I'm good friends with someone who used to be incredibly high up in the mobile phone industry, and I remember her telling me that she used to go out and buy the latest and greatest in mobile phones just to leave on the desk during meetings for the impress factor, when really she hadn't a clue how they worked and far preferred to use her 10 year old Nokia for calls which stayed firmly in her pocket at all times :lol:

• Like 1

A good audio control software will likely see u right with getting sound to your tele.

I run linux on all my computers though so no idea of software/drivers for windows or MAC.

And I can't bin the blackberry. I love them. I did own an android for a little while, never owned iphones and genuinely believe BBOS10 is miles nicer than android. Physical keyboard also mega handy. I am likely to stick with them til they die their inevitable death (or become solely android powered)

• Like 1

Strictly Win10 here, might be why. That said, I've not actually tried to stream from a Win10 laptop yet, maybe I should give that a go.

But then, that's what my Apple devices do so I guess it's less of an issue for me these days.

I don't think I've ever used windows 10. Or 8 or 7 for that matter except for sorting install problems on clients computers. Which I sort using the programmin language I'm teaching them anyway so no experience of the windows interface itself.

Similarly for MAC. Although command line stuff much easier to guess in OSX so normally can acheive what I need to. My partner has been offered a Mac through work and asked me if she should take that over the windows option. I couldn't really make a good suggestion, poor form for someone who works with computers, as I can only understand the spec sheet of the hardware. I know that each OS runs differently though and have no recent experience of either.

I would also note that my lack of understanding of each of windows and Mac is making me sound like a terrible fit for my line of work. I would clarify that I do understand how things like memory management and parallel computing etc work for the various frameworks and programming languages I deal with. It's just the GUI front ends I have no idea about.

• Like 1

And are we going back on topic now.....please :)

Have to agree with the thoughts that RB are desperate to hang onto Max and were probably looking for the first opportunity to move him up in the hope that keeps him on board.

• Like 1

Sorry ebized. Happy to get back on topic. I have had a particularly pleasant evening with nothing to do other than have a couple of beers and reading f1 racing mag.

U have any thoughts on the driver market this year?

JB and KR out, please!

LH to Ferrari next year if NR wins the championship. SV may not approve, but ultimately Ferrari *will* have the final say and they will know that Lewis is likely quicker and far more marketable than Seb.

DR and MV to stay at RB now. DK will get the boot from TR. CS will prob get one more year there.

As much as I am a fan of Hamilton I am surprised that you think he is likely quicker than Vettel. I am not sure who would win out in a fair contest between the two of them but think it would be close. I think I would sway towards betting on vettel over the full season though. I think he is probably a little more consistent and focussed.

^^^ Same car i reckon you could throw a blanket over most of their times it would be that close, there will always be drivers who will get more out of a car that isnt quite perfect though, personally i think Hamilton is one of these drivers but not Vettel.

• Like 1

I rate Seb and Lewis very closely in terms of ability. I think it would probably come down to who the car suited better, and luck (same as the current Merc lineup IMO, although I would probably give Lewis the nod for outright pace).

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I was thoroughly impressed with that. Verstappen did incredibly well. I have been very impressed with his driving.

Mercs made a horrible mistake. Not cool but it's the first time I've ever found myself wanting the redbull to win. Really enjoyed the race, even though there wasn't much actual overtaking, I loved the tension and the chase between the 2 RBs and Ferraris.

Notable performance by sainz, perez and massa too.

• Like 2

that was a major brain fart by both mercedes drivers... lewis for going for an ever decreasing gap and nico for forcing a commited lewis onto the grass, which then meant he couldnt brake and would collect nico on the next corner.

nice to see vestappen take his first win, would have preferred more overtakes, but certainly nice seeing a fight for 1st place for a change. though its going to be a while before we see a race like china again (and that time will come when they introduce reverse grids)

• Like 1

I would like to think no one is actually hoping for reverse grids. It sounds like a horrible idea.

Yes merc drivers should be feeling pretty stupid right now. Although the shot of them both entering the merc mobile office with helmets still on did make them look like they had their tails between their legs as they well should. Glad stewards saw fit not to punish either of them though, we can do without all the too many penalties we have been seeing over the last few years. I do believe they were both to blame.

Looking forward to monaco. Would be pretty impressive if Nico manages to make it 4 in a row there. Hopefully no repeat of the tactical **** up they made for Lewis last year. Interested to see where RB and Ferrari end up in the Monaco pecking order.

Make no mistake, if that had been a Merc and a Ferrari or a Merc and a Red Bull, then the stewards would've handed out penalties for sure. As it was just Merc that suffered, they basically let them deal with it internally.

• Like 1