Winter plans....

nowhereboy

Along with my Zed, I have a 1.4 j reg Nissan sunny. Cheap to run and tax, brand new tyres are £32 a corner, classic car insurance job done. Everyone let's you out at junctions thinking "I let grandad go" and a week of driving this makes the 350z feel like a Bugatti Veyron haha

What winter, I was out in my summer gear on the pedal bike today. Apparently it'll hit 16 degrees by the weekend.

Even warmer in The States, 21 degrees forecast for Washinton D.C. What we have is a very strong jetstream locked into position by the most unseasonable temperatures on the East Coast of America. There is very little prospect of any major change in our current weather until mid January at the earliest.

Pete

Weapon of choice this year is a 1.2 punto 8v B)

Zeds beed sorned since Nov

The scrapper has already paid for itself as last week someone smashed into the back of it when we were sitting in traffic, boot is all burst and bent and bumper is sha**ed. £82 for replacements from the scrappies, happy days!

Just glad it was the scrapper and not the Zed or the Mrs car

We just bought a 2006 1.4lt Fiesta from an auction for £550 all up with MOT until June... using it to put miles on and commuting for him during winter as we run a zed and a porsche... neither are ideal for snow if it happens! Didn't fancy taking a chance! This is the first winter we've done this though....

• Like 1

I've just picked up a £900 Legacy Outback mk2, sort of for winter, mostly just so I can do some maintenance without having to rush to get it all back together by Monday morning.

She's not a looker, but very comfortable and has useful winter features like approx 20cm ground clearance and what appears to be a button for a heated front screen.

I forgot how refreshing it is to not care about what happens to your car.

Quite happy sticking it in a tight space in the office or supermarket, no worries that someone is going to smash it getting in/out.

edit: forgot the all important pic:

2015-12-15%2008.26.11_zpswquhp2ia.jpg

Edited by billdingo

I have some winter tyres for the Z, but to be honest, this year I've bought a 2004 vectra diesel. The Z is now my weekend car so if the weather turns sour it will stay parked up until it gets less so.

Edited by cs2000

• 3 weeks later...

I got my Z in November and it's pretty much rained for about 75% of the time that I've used it. I found it quite a handful at first and quite scary to be honest, but I'm used to it now - even in really heavy rain (although I have to drive it quite slow). Not experienced snow yet, but its set to snow next week.

Is driving in light snow a lot worse than heavy rain? Is it even difficult to control when you drive it slowly?

Light snow that doesn't settle, not really. Even if it's leaving a light dusting by the side of the road, it's really not much different to driving in rain. It's when it settles, or when it freezes and you get ice that you'll start to have real issues.

I've got an old Clio 1.5dci for knocking around in. Even got a set of winter tyres for it haha , though not bothered putting them on yet this year. Luckily I also have a van for work, even got winter tyres on that and they make a world of difference especially with it being rear wheel drive with hardly any weight in the back . So the zeds never seen much snow.

Edited by SHEZZA