In Car Dehumidifier

Mopedmark

Hi Zedders, whilst shopping in Asda the other day I came across this little gem,

22e9bf42225083e6b8507596018ad2b9_zpsz9vnnxnn.jpg

With winter coming and the Zeds getting misted up on the inside I thought I would share this as its only £6 yes £6 I was going to get one from EBay for £12 so this has to be a little winner and its reusable time and time again

d9db09a30233be904702e049736a109b_zpshmf3lqpx.jpg

Just put it in the car and leave there until the centre indicator changes to Pink then pop it in the microwave for 6 minutes and then it's ready to put back in the car :thumbs:

• Like 5

I bought similar one from eBay like 2 years ago, I think it was 2 bags for a tenner - and never had issue since.

As just before I bought them (and that was the reason) - windscreen used to be covered in condensation in the winter and actually drip down as it was that bad.

Not anymore :D

• Like 1

Tha last S14 that i owned had a leakage problem that i never got to the bottom of so i got a couple of 150mm square thick cotton bags and filled them up with Silica Gell crystals (from local hardware store, a 2kg container for peanuts)) leaving one in the front footwell and the other in the rear footwell and it stopped the condensation problem a treat and i just used to change the gell when it stopped absorbing moisture. I've still got the container with a fair bit in it somewhere in the garage.

You need to use AC every week or so even in winter.

However, like you say, when you switch it off the vents chuck out ALOT of steamy air into the cabin.

To combat this turn off the AC about 10 mins before journeys end.

Turn heat up.

It dries out the moisture in the system into the cabin.

Most then escapes when you open the door.

When you start the car next day with no AC you'll have ALOT less condensation thrown outta the vents.

Back on topic.

I'm finding the blue indicator dot takes a week to go pink.

Followed microwave instructions and it's blue and ready to go.

Minimal hassle.

So far I'm quite happy with it.

The AC is all good, unless you're commute is relatively short - 10/15 mins. I supported the AC with a similar sized silicone gel bag under the passenger seat (away from air bag leads) and rotated it with another one kept indoors. If the weather goes really grim pop the rotation bag in the boot for double end action.

http://www.scienceda...00622081359.htm

The AC reduces fuel efficiency even when used in winter as a dehumidifier.

When warm I'll always have it on.

If windscreen is foggy I'll use it.

But personally see no need to have it on ALL the time.

Just having a little fun with this gizmo to be honest and if it doesn't prevent those odd times when the screen is dripping wet it's no biggy coz the AC is always there like others have mentioned.

Edited by HEADPHONES

Don't use recirculated air in the winter as the humidity will build up in the cabin, but wont be apparent as the heating will be on.

Bring in cold fresh air which will be dryer, to purge out the moist cabin air.

This may go some way in preventing excessive condensation.

Though if its raining, you're on a loser anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody got an ebay link t these magic little bags? I could be doing with two! Even if you step out for a bit ..air con or not It steams up again

EDIT - just seen the asda bit lol

Edited by AMT