Rattly sound from the rear when pulling away

Jeff king

I got this or something similar, I can't figure it out and have my whole rear end and suspension off at the moment because of it, Kind of sounds like a bag of 4 coins rattling twice when I accelerate away in a ching ching fashion so sounded like a loose joint or something for knocking back and fourth.

Its definitely an exterior noise rather than interior/boot.

I had an aftermarket exhaust on mine so I don't think the heat shield applies to me.. (Japspeed K1)

Hmm, not sure I'm ready to start taking my car to bits just yet as its my daily. I've only had the car a couple of days and I have very limited knowledge about them I.e none. I know it has a cobra resonated exhaust on it so not sure if the heat shield thing applies to me too but I'll probably start with having a look underneath for it anyway.

Where would it be exactly?

Have you checked the condition of the rear exhaust back box? What about the heat shield above the exhaust back box?

Lot's of things that could cause a "rattly" sound tbh.

Also it might actually be happening in higher gears too but with the increased road noise/tyre noise/wind noise etc it may not be as easy to hear, ...just a thought.

Clicky Axel?

Quite a common problem on 350Z's, I've never heard it myself, so not sure if it could be mistaken for a rattle.

Yeah,

When I listened to recordings of the clicky axle but mine was completely different, I have not disregarded it however.

I'm going to do the grease 'fix' on here whilst I have it apart, but I have to get a new socket as I have everything but.

I will let you know if I get any improvements, I have also changed my drop links, diff oil change, and a lot of cleaning components, will be putting a new zorst on there too but ultimately won't be able to pin point what worked exactly...

Edited by Oggieteepo

Hmm, not sure I'm ready to start taking my car to bits just yet as its my daily. I've only had the car a couple of days and I have very limited knowledge about them I.e none. I know it has a cobra resonated exhaust on it so not sure if the heat shield thing applies to me too but I'll probably start with having a look underneath for it anyway.

Where would it be exactly?

I've got the same exhaust so I'm still thinking it's the heat shielding

How weird is this - I wasn't sure if it was just me but I seem to be getting this same noise - it sounds like the exhaust or something around the exhaust and only happens when I'm in first or second accelerating / decelerating.

I have a Japspeed, will try and get underneath and wiggle bits around and see where its coming from!

Hi tom, thanks but the sound does seem to be coming from the back of the car. Sounds like a vibration around the exhaust area..

P.S. Loving the car í ½í±í ¼í¿»

Ah okay, just thought it odd as it's never so much as hinted at a rattle - the exhaust system is pretty new etc and the SMF has always proved quite rattly and loud pulling away at low RPM. Hope you get it sorted and glad you're enjoying zed ownership!