Number plates got stolen (front and rear)

veeg33

As per title, this happened whilst I was playing 6-a-side footy with my colleagues. Car was parked in the public car park at the footy place. Notice my rear plate was missing when I wanted to put my kit in boot. I thought the 3M double sided tape has failed me but closer inspection I found 6-7 deep scratches (few outside and few where the plate used to sit). At that point, I knew it was being removed with force and in a hurry. Then I went and check my front plate, it was missing too but luckily, no tools were used.

Got back in the sports centre and asked if they have CCTV pointing towards my car. Unfortunately, no. No one saw anything neither. Rang 101 to report this and being told I can still drive my car back home as long as I display my number plate in the windscreen (front and rear) and as long as I have the crime reference number, I'll be OK to drive home or to a garage.

So long story short, I'm glad they only took my number plates, not my zed! Thank god for that :thumbs:

Anyway, if you guys are happen to look around AutoTrader, you might spot my number plate in a different zed? Or I'll get a visit later tonight by the police (get away car, kidnap, etc), or few weeks later, letter from DVLA or police (speeding ticket or red light).

Number plate: FX54 ZRC (Thanks to Ekona)

If you spotted this, please do let me know. B)

Time to go to flea bay now for new plates and get ready to for some sore thumb and fingers this weekend clearing the old double sided tape off :scare:

Edited by veeg33

That sucks mate. :rant:

Just hope this doesn't cause you any problems in the future (like you say cloned car or speeding tickets etc). :dry::thumbdown:

I think this will show in my HPI records. Similar record (number plate clonned/stolen, appeared in a Toyota Yaris) on my previous Mini Cooper when the new owner did a full HPI check (£35ish). I did a £3 HPI check and that didn't show up as it only checks past 3 yrs. Not nice!

Thanks guys. I'm assuming I don't need to ring my insurance company to let them know?

Nah, I wouldn't. No need unless you want to claim, which would be pointless unless you have a £0 excess.

Nop, not planning to claim £20 for replacement plates. Just wanted to make sure I won't be used against me in future for not reporting it to them. Thanks mate!

Edited by veeg33

As long as you have reported it and got a crime ref no. and make a note of the time reported you cant be held responsible for anything that happens as a result, it only becomes a potential problem if someone puts it on an identical looking car.

Agree with Ekona, reporting it to insurance is an unnecessary step - it would never be worth claiming.

• Like 1

Just make sure that the new plates don't have the same manufacturers marker on the bottom.

Will do, thanks. I'm looking to get new plates from Halfords, it seems like their number plate are anti-theft. Will disintegrate when someone trying to remove it, double the price but will save me lots of trouble later needing to proof my innocence.

You don't have to prove your innocence, they have to prove your guilt. ;)

Seriously, don't worry about it. Get some regular cheapy plates from Demon Plates or Fancy Plates online, and fit those. Save yourself the money, it's so unlikely anything will ever come of this that I wouldn't worry about it. Go and put a bright sticker in the front and rear screens, that way if you do get pinged you can easily show it wasn't you.

• Like 1

I had this happen when I was at college, you'll get pulled over by the police every time they see you for a bit though as they want to check it is actually you - which I had no issue with at all. Nothing ever came of it, no speeding tickets. Hopefully the stole them for garage art or something. I was recommended to have a sticker or something in the rear window which is really unique, so if a speeding ticket comes through you can show it's the car with the stolen plates not yours.

• Like 2

And know where your VIN number is on the car for the boys in blue to see if the windscreen one has got obscured - as I did on purpose when cars first started having them, the thought being I was being clever taping it over so cloners couldn't read them :blush::surrender:

• Like 1

Cheers guys. I've decided to get a normal plate via flea bay - £14.99 delivered. Hopefully will get it tomorrow. Regardless, will start cleaning and removing what's left behind ready for the new plates. Been reading online about this and seems like number plates being double sided taped in are usually the target as they are more easy to remove. I think I'll stick with double sided tape rather than investing in tamper proof screws as I don't like the look of it. I like it nice and clean without any screw. Still a little bit annoyed that they scratches the rear bumper at places that I can't hide.....on a positive note, sounds like a good time to get a JDM rear bumper!!! B)

• Like 1

Just make sure that the new plates don't have the same manufacturers marker on the bottom.

Don't mean to be dim, but this is not obvious to me. Why ?

I'd hazard a guess that if caught speeding, you could show that your numberplate is different as it doesn't carry the same mark?

Will do, thanks. I'm looking to get new plates from Halfords, it seems like their number plate are anti-theft. Will disintegrate when someone trying to remove it, double the price but will save me lots of trouble later needing to proof my innocence.

Get yourself some Tar Remover when you are there. Will remove the sticky stuff from the old plates in no time and without scratching the paint work.

• Like 1

Got a call from the police earlier today. Been told they have completed the crime report and the number plate is now on their system as stolen plate. However she did say as of today, there isn't any crime related to this number plate but will have to wait few weeks/months if any parking fine/ speeding tickets etc will come through the post. She also advise to carry the crime ref number around as chance of me being stop will be high as it will flag up on those auto number plate recognition device.HAPPY DAYS!!! If its too much, it will be a good excuse for me to get a private plate B)