Phones & Broadband, 1950's?

Flex

Moved into new build, probaby about 3k new houses, so wouldn't you think broadband would be quite fast?

Well, we've been quoted and you may need to sit down for this, upto, 3mb download. That's mb not gb!

How the hell is this even possible?

BT didnt turn up to install the new phone line and to be honest I'm quite glad as at those speeds, what's the point in getting a phone line just so we can get 3mb BB? We never use a landline anyway.

So question is do we have any other options, satellite or other providers?

• Like 1

I think we all understand your disappointment...low speed internet this days is just ridiculous

We moved houses 6 weeks ago and still have to wait for our broadband to be connected which is actually just a switch flick :( (apparently 10 days away)

• Like 1

Its Norfolk Right ?

Satellite has a high latency, so things like video streaming and particularly gaming will suffer.

Do you get a good 4g signal where you are, so could use that instead?

Thats frigging awful! There must be a problem somewhere, no new build should be below 60Meg I'd have thought.

Whats the 4G like? It'll probably be cheaper than Satellite, unless Sat has got much cheaper recently.

We've got EE sim router at min to get us through, not great but ok for browsing.

Yep Norfolk!

Guess I wont be plugging the PS4 in anytime soon!!

Its Norfolk Right ?

LOL! When I moved three years ago from the south coast to rural Norfolk, Well three miles from Kings Lynn,

we had at our old place a speed of 4 to 5mbs, so we where quite pleased wen we got 7 mbs, but after a fight with BT over a bad phone connection, an engineer replaced the line from the pole to the house socket, and also switched the exchange line and the result was 10 mbs.

But at the beginning of this year they fitted fiber lines from the exchange to the main box, so now we are with Talk Talk and pay half of BT prices and get 37.5 mbs.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Its Norfolk Right ?

LOL! When I moved three years ago from the south coast to rural Norfolk, Well three miles from Kings Lynn,

we had at our old place a speed of 4 to 5mbs, so we where quite pleased wen we got 7 mbs, but after a fight with BT over a bad phone connection, an engineer replaced the line from the pole to the house socket, and also switched the exchange line and the result was 10 mbs.

But at the beginning of this year they fitted fiber lines from the exchange to the main box, so now we are with Talk Talk and pay half of BT prices and get 37.5 mbs.

Good for you :lol:

• Like 1

I'm renting a small cottage at the back of one of the manor houses near Hillingdon - We don't get a TV signal ! Too many trees so satellite only

Fair play though I do get 3-5 Mbps even here - when the kids are over it chugs a bit but watched the Champions League last night on the BT App - no problems - Mr Griffiths welcome to your high speed internet package is not a message I am likely to hear any time soon

BT are a complete disgrace. The thing is they would still charge you the same as someone getting a fast rate how is that fair?

Its high time they were forced to use some of their huge profits to upgarde the network, we are so behind many other countries its embarrassing.

We had similar problems here and ended up going for Tooway Satellite internet, best thing I have ever done 100% reliable and best off no phone line rental to BT :)

• Like 1

Cheap copper, and I bet you're miles from the exchange. Blame the developers for not caring about internets, or blame the people buying the properties for not insisting that a new exchange be built :p

Very common issue on modern properties. It's why I made so many checks as to where the exchange was and how old the house was before we bought ours, as well as checking with neighbours as to their download speeds.

Oh absolutely, especially as media stops coming over the air and starts coming down the phone line instead. No-one's going to want to live somewhere where they can only get 3 channels, especially when 4K/8K/whatever becomes mainstream in 10-20 years.

in 10 to 20 years the speeds will be sorted for all of us and we will be driving EV`s as well... :lol:

I was with sky because we had a package deal and the net was basically BT connect as that is all there is where we are at the moment and sky rent this from BT. The speed was 4 meg in the morning and dwindled down to 0.6 meg in the evening. Traffic managed and nothing sky could do about it.

All providers tell us it will be between 1 and 3.5 meg

Now with BT for the net so still the BT connect package but we get 5 meg all the time. Totally ok for most things i do and a great improvement.

So it does depend on who your provider is but fingers crossed the fibre will be on its way soon ... :teeth:

Cheap copper, and I bet you're miles from the exchange. Blame the developers for not caring about internets, or blame the people buying the properties for not insisting that a new exchange be built :p

Very common issue on modern properties. It's why I made so many checks as to where the exchange was and how old the house was before we bought ours, as well as checking with neighbours as to their download speeds.

I couldnt let BB speed play a part in this otherwise I'd stayed where I was got superfast braodband and only had one garage :lol:

BT are a complete disgrace. The thing is they would still charge you the same as someone getting a fast rate how is that fair?

Its high time they were forced to use some of their huge profits to upgarde the network, we are so behind many other countries its embarrassing.

We had similar problems here and ended up going for Tooway Satellite internet, best thing I have ever done 100% reliable and best off no phone line rental to BT :)

This is the feedback I need!!

• Like 1

The trouble is you wont get anywhere with BT, (edit: actually its pretty much the same with all of the providers, the ones that rent the connection just pass the buck) it took us over a year to get to the point where they replaced our line, and kept threatening to charge us £150 if the engineer couldn't find a fault to try and put us off.

The trouble is you wont get anywhere with BT, (edit: actually its pretty much the same with all of the providers, the ones that rent the connection just pass the buck) it took us over a year to get to the point where they replaced our line, and kept threatening to charge us £150 if the engineer couldn't find a fault to try and put us off.

Which is why I think Ewen has given the best option so far.

Is satellite broadband a better option then? I know in heavy rain I can loose my satellite signal on some weaker channels.

As you can imagine we get a lot of rain here and only once has it lost signal and that was for less than a minute. Other than that its been perfect.

Its getting on 5 months that we have had it now. Compared to the amount of times the regular broadband used to drop out sometimes for hours which was a nightmare when you are trying to run a business.