June 2016 Scotland Trip

Wendy

Hi all,

Quite a few folk know already, (some I met in Wales) I am planning a road trip for June 16 to Scotland - West Coast and Highland hopefully right up to John O'Groats.

Only more recently did I find out about Route 500 or Scotland's Route 66. The trip will be following much of this route, plus more. It will include approx. 4hours driving per day and visit areas of interest. Whisky distilleries, castles etc etc.So very much a driving holiday.

I will have a planned route and suggested ideas of places to visit by the end of November with suggested places to stay etc. Dependant on numbers I may be prepared to book these on behalf.

The trip will not clash with the June Wales weekend.

As soon as I have more details I will post them up.

If you would like to show you genuine interest it would help.

Thanks

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

We are defiantly interested in this, it will depend on kids exam dates etc. (Karen will NEVER leave the kids during A level exams!!)

Also I have finally persuaded her on a euro trip which I was thinking about for September so number of days may be an issue, that said we could always peel off part way.

Look forward to updates.

I've just cancelled a Scotland trip with a friend (and his RX8) due to a recent house move. We're planning to go next year though, so this might tie in nicely. If non Zeds are allowed?

Non-Zeds allowed? WTF!!!!!!! :lol:

Wendy, I may be interested in this....we'll see how it pans out when we have more details

Edited by 350zedd

I was on the southwest coast yesterday and have done the northwest, north and northeast coasts a few years back. If you like scenery this trip is a must. The northwest is just amazing

I should be able to join in for part of this

Good to see some immediate interest. :thumbs:

Re Le Mans - No idea, not looked as I am going to Le Mans Classic next year and that is in July 8th - 10th.

Certainly would be good if the Northern & Scottish Forum folk would join us for a day or two or evening if they cannot commit to longer.

Unlikely to be passing near Aberdeen sadly - a tad too far to the East on this West and Highlands trip !! :lol:

You would be most welcome to join us somewhere a little more East mind.

Inverness is only 2 hours drive (on Google maps) and we are bound to be there at some point.

I'd potentially be in - been meaning to do a decent tour of Scotland for a few years, never been any further north than Fort William. I'll leave the whiskey drinking to other people but I love a good castle explore!

That is assuming you don't mind a beemer coming along :)

certainly be interested in dates and duration - think i'd probably prefer it over a weekend to minimise the amount of holiday needed, but June is a long way away yet.

Unlikely to be passing near Aberdeen sadly - a tad too far to the East on this West and Highlands trip !! :lol:

You would be most welcome to join us somewhere a little more East mind.

Inverness is only 2 hours drive (on Google maps) and we are bound to be there at some point.

Well when we all find out nearer the time I'd be happy to come to Inverness to join in on the 500

Wendy,

Looks like plenty of interest, just need a start date so people can start to confirm their availability.

Finish date I guess would depend on route etc. And if necessary people can drop out partway if they can't get time off or don't want to do the lot.

Glad you are going to include the 500 it looks like a great drive.

theres a fairly recently opened Travelodge in fort William that might make a good starting meeting point, complete with esso and BP garages not far away selling super unleaded.

Also, would it be possible to fit the Isle of Skye in? wouldn't feel right travelling all the way up to Scotland and not visiting Skye :)

but regardless of anyones suggestions, just do what you want to do - you'll never please everyone. maybe have one day where we meet up with other members for a drive, but you might have to be selective with who does the whole thing, otherwise it'll get quite big and unwieldy!

Ok chaps,

Feeling the eagerness and excitement !! ;):lol:. I Will get onto more details of this sooner.

Dates - will be very approx. 11th - 18th June.

I already have Coventry Motor Festival 4th/5th June - and Wales weekend - 25th/26th, so the only option !! :lol:

Nothing else in my diary, but June 2016 is fully booked !!!!

Hoping this works for everyone showing interest at this stage.

Although I am organising the trip by inviting others, it it their trip too.

So I will happily do my best to make it suitable, enjoyable and exciting for them as well.

Suggestions are great, but not too many please, as I will try to incorporate all them if possible. As it happens whisky is not my tipple either, I still think a visit could be interesting. For those unaware, I have organised a few car forum road trips previoulsy. Both in the UK and 4 or 5 abroad.

My last one to Scotland (differing area), was over 10 days from my home, so including both weekends plus....

By nature of booking accomodation, this provides places of meets for dinner.

I will aim to have a good point of interest for more people to join us at both the start at end of the trip.

This is a good opportunity to reduce trip time if you are looking at the core of the tour, thereby aiming for Sunday through to Friday for instance.

It would be good if there were a core group that were travelling the whole route (as I mentioned earlier I would happily book accomodation for a few) and others joining in when possible.

Leave it with me, back to you soon. :)

Think I need a spreadsheet already ............ !!! :lol:

Ok chaps,

Feeling the eagerness and excitement !! ;):lol:. I Will get onto more details of this sooner.

Dates - will be very approx. 11th - 18th June.

I already have Coventry Motor Festival 4th/5th June - and Wales weekend - 25th/26th, so the only option !! :lol:

Nothing else in my diary, but June 2016 is fully booked !!!!

Hoping this works for everyone showing interest at this stage.

Although I am organising the trip by inviting others, it it their trip too.

So I will happily do my best to make it suitable, enjoyable and exciting for them as well.

Suggestions are great, but not too many please, as I will try to incorporate all them if possible. As it happens whisky is not my tipple either, I still think a visit could be interesting. For those unaware, I have organised a few car forum road trips previoulsy. Both in the UK and 4 or 5 abroad.

My last one to Scotland (differing area), was over 10 days from my home, so including both weekends plus....

By nature of booking accomodation, this provides places of meets for dinner.

I will aim to have a good point of interest for more people to join us at both the start at end of the trip.

This is a good opportunity to reduce trip time if you are looking at the core of the tour, thereby aiming for Sunday through to Friday for instance.

It would be good if there were a core group that were travelling the whole route (as I mentioned earlier I would happily book accomodation for a few) and others joining in when possible.

Leave it with me, back to you soon. :)

Think I need a spreadsheet already ............ !!! :lol:

Cool is this ok to put out to friends Wendy or do you have a number in mind

I can't do the weekend of the 11th already got a family event down south but the rest of the week should be good.

Personally I would have thought straddling a weekend would have given more options with some coming the first half and some the second half with a meet up on the weekend but as already said you are sorting so you set things up and the rest of us will fall in.

Count me in for at least part of this and good luck with the planning.

Wendy, thank you for organising this. I'm sure it'll be a great success. I've organised quite a few trips in the NW of Scotland for other car clubs and have driven just about every square inch of the NC500, several times.

My eldest daughter and her partner have a holiday cottage in Applecross, lots of contacts and friends there. Solid contacts round Oban and Seil Island (bridge over the Atlantic). Between me, my daughter, friends up Oban way, there is hardly a hotel or restaurant that we don't know in the north west, some of the best eating to be had.

I've extensive knowledge of the very northern coast, from Cape Wrath (well Durness really) to Thurso and all in between.

My wife has all the contacts on the east, Golspie/Dunrobin/Black Isle area.

Skye is a good shout, however, the quality of road is not the best, if anyone is concerned about road rash on the front of their car, Skye is best avoided.

Anyway, you get the drift, whilst I may be on a different meet a week earlier, if you need any help, recommendations or suggestions, give me shout, happy to help any members meet up in that area :thumbs:

• Like 1

Just out of interest Wendy,

Where have you got the Wales weekend dates from? The last few years it has been May !

Keep up the good work

Wales is always in May, generally NOT the same weekend as Japfest though.

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear