Bodybuilding.

TT350

Ayy, same. Last exam is on the 22nd.

Starts to get really quiet after 10pm, then between 12 and 6 it's dead. Which is great unless you need a spotter or want to do risky stuff.

I've never had a spotter. I go with the theory that if I can't lift it on my own then there's no point trying. Just build up my strength until I can, with progressive overload.

I use dumbells mostly so getting trapped under a bar is an incident I can avoid.

Happened to me once, getting stuck under a barbel In an empty gym. One of the (hot) girls that worked there eventually came down and saved me.

Edited by TT350

I made a lot more progress when I had a spotter. Everyone's body reacts differently, but mine seems to relish grinding out one extra rep.

I've only been trapped under a barbell once, but not in the way you would expect.

I was trying to do some improvised seated barbell calf raises (see image below), but due to a combination of having long legs and using a high foot platform to maximise ROM, my knees were a lot higher than my hips and the barbell ended up rolling down my thighs. Due to the angles and balance in the situation, I couldn't stand up and it was digging in pretty hard. I probably could have got it off if I needed to, but I found it hilarious, so asked a guy near me to lend a hand and he came and deadlifted 100kg off me. :lol:

176_1.jpg

Ive never used a spotter. I think it was Franco Columbo who once said "forced reps are best done by oneself". You certainly manage to find that extra bit of power if you suddenly face being trapped under a bar and ive had some very near misses. However, when I started training to total failure on some sets I got myself a power cage, just to be on the safe side!

I'd agree for weights you use to do higher reps as they are much more manageable if something goes wrong. However for a weight you can only lift <5 times, and definitely if trying to set new PBs or 1rms, it's kinda risky to rely on adrenaline.

Could y'all take a look at this 90kg deadlift form? Previously struggled with issues such as hips rising early and knees scraping, but I've sorted that now. Starting with my hips higher allows me to have tension on my hamstrings/glutes before the bar is lifted. If I was to have one criticism about my form, it's that I'm bringing my hips down too low when setting the bar back down. That's just something I need to work on - maintaining tension during the last portion of the lift. I think I'm worried about hamstring tear or something by stretching them too much on the set down.

Massive improvement over last time. (Edit: just realised the last video was squats instead - but your DL form vid > squat form vid ;))

Personally I drop the weight much faster than that and don't rate maintaining tension during the negative portion.

As you point out, your hips drop and rotate at the last second, losing the arch you want to keep.

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

Only just clocked this thread, I've been training for years now, pretty much eat what I want when I want, I've never dieted. I'm 5ft 11" always been around the 12st mark and have fairly low body fat, waist is 28-30" depending where I buy from. A few pics.

Train because I enjoy it but had a few injuries recently so the last month has been a poor effort. 3c5f3fd1456e4391bdbd7b313a55c88e.jpg22189f6779d3eebccf878704966c540c.jpg325948121e76692709b5a91b3d1b3c6f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

@Coleslaw

I don't want to disagree with Strudel but, I have to say that, for me, slow controlled movements are the way, especially training such an easily damaged part of your body.

Lowering slowly and under tension is no danger for your lower back. Gives it more time under load which might add up to 40% of the benefit.

If you're in a deadlift head to head competition I can understand why cranking out as many reps as possible would be beneficial and necessary.

And also....just don't be that guy clanking the weights down lol.

Form is much better in the video.

Only just clocked this thread, I've been training for years now, pretty much eat what I want when I want, I've never dieted. I'm 5ft 11" always been around the 12st mark and have fairly low body fat, waist is 28-30" depending where I buy from. A few pics.

Train because I enjoy it but had a few injuries recently so the last month has been a poor effort. 3c5f3fd1456e4391bdbd7b313a55c88e.jpg22189f6779d3eebccf878704966c540c.jpg325948121e76692709b5a91b3d1b3c6f.jpg

I'm good shape. Vascular.

Do you want to get bigger?

Nah, quite happy balance at the minute between size, weight & fitness. I know to get bigger I would have to diet and cut out a lot of junk food which I enjoy far, far too much hehe.

Plus I would have to start using supplements which becomes complicated because I am allergic to cheese and bi-products of cheese such as Whey which is in almost every supplement 😭

Edited by Dave6188

@Coleslaw

I don't want to disagree with Strudel but, I have to say that, for me, slow controlled movements are the way, especially training such an easily damaged part of your body.

Lowering slowly and under tension is no danger for your lower back. Gives it more time under load which might add up to 40% of the benefit.

If you're in a deadlift head to head competition I can understand why cranking out as many reps as possible would be beneficial and necessary.

And also....just don't be that guy clanking the weights down lol.

Form is much better in the video.

Oh no you don't! :rant:

:lol:

I think it depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you are doing hypertrophy reps (8-12) and training for size, then by all means go slow, maximise that TUT and reap the gainz. However, for strength training (<= 6 reps), prioritise that explosive contraction then lower it quickly, but in a controlled manner. If you are powerlifting, then just drop it B) I wouldn't want to have to slowly lower my 1rm :lol:

Personally I'd never do DLs for size, not that you shouldn't, but for me it just suits strength training so much better. You should really reset your grip after each rep, allowing the weight to be "dead", which kinda goes against the constant tension "requirement" of hypertrophy training.

Each to their own though, there isn't always a universal correct or best method in weightlifting, just whatever works best for you.

Edited by Strudul

Nah, quite happy balance at the minute between size, weight & fitness. I know to get bigger I would have to diet and cut out a lot of junk food which I enjoy far, far too much hehe.

Plus I would have to start using supplements which becomes complicated because I am allergic to cheese and bi-products of cheese such as Whey which is in almost every supplement 😭

You don't have to diet. Just eat more. Get an estimate of how many you need then increase by 500-750 calories a day. No need to go crazy. I never use whey or supplements. Just not needed if you can eat the extra 750. Pretty easy to do. Just one more meal.

A good example is a plain quarter pounder. Job done. Quick and easy.

500 calories right there. Ask to lose the cheese and Ask for an extra patty. 50g protein total. About 800 calories.

ASDA sell rustlers burger pattys without the bun. Taste great. Can make your own 1/2ib burger that way for a nice boost in Cals and protein.

Edited by TT350
  • Like 1

I would like to be a big guy again. But maybe as we head into winter I'll go for some size. I'd like to be back to this kinda mass...

20130924_150216_zpse98bc483-1_zpsicp4dnwj.jpg

I'd put some size on at the end of last summer but broke up with gf and lost it all.

20160819_222947_zpsbqxydnwv.jpg

20160818_230417_zpstbguwthe.jpg

20160818_230440_zpsbcd9zbsu.jpg

Edited by TT350

+1, building size is (theoretically) easier than cutting. It will take longer and is harder to actually do (if that makes sense), but it's not as strict and is actually a simple process.

Just eat more. The problem arises if you want to get big without increasing your BF%, then you have to watch what you eat to a greater extent, but then most people cycle bulking and cutting.

As for supplements, definitely not necessary, but can work out easier / cheaper than hitting your macros through food alone. You could try whey isolate instead of concentrate as it has less lactose?

As for supplements, definitely not necessary, but can work out easier / cheaper than hitting your macros through food alone. You could try whey isolate instead of concentrate as it has less lactose?

I eat about 6 meals a day, usually have 1 of them as a protein shake, but at the weekends when I dont have much time, it is so much easier/quicker to just knock a shake back.

I use Isolate from Protein Dynamics and it works out at 60p per shake which gives me 46g protein & 200 calories. Thats pretty cheap.

Brian Shaw (Worlds Strongest Man) shared a video a few days back of what he eats in one day and it was pretty good watching. 12,000 calories.

Peanut butter is my cheat code. About the cheapest calories you can get, loads of protein and healthy fats, plus I can happily eat it out of the tub.

Not the most glamorous, but when I had work and was trying to maintain 4k+ calories per day, it was so much easier to just have a few spoonfuls of peanut butter, or make some peanut butter "flapjacks".

• 3 weeks later...

Shirts

Where do you guys find decent fitting formal shirts?

Got a wedding coming up (luckily not mine) and none of my shirts fit me properly anymore, not that they ever really did.

Most shirts seem to be designed for fat guys or scrawny twiglets and it seems to be borderline impossible to balance a good fit in chest / neck / waist / arm size and sleeve length. I'm also heavily limited by needing longer sleeves than normal :(

Anything out there that is designed for a big chest / arms, but thin waist / neck before I have to make a DIY shirt tailoring thread? Don't like spending huge amounts on clothes (or anything for that matter) and couldn't care less about the brand, I just want a decent fit for reasonable money.

^^^^^^^ good question. Ive always found shirts to be very hit and miss. In order to get one to be big enough for my arms/shoulders/chest you end up with one looking like a sack of potatoes around the stomach. The last few business shirts I got were "fitted" or "tailored" (i cant remember what they exactly called them) from primark. I have a 17inch neck and these actually fitted pretty well without being shapeless baggy things. They werent the best quality of shirts but for the money they were fine.

• Like 1