Bodybuilding.

TT350

Prefer the stability of bench. Feels tight.

Dumbells always feel a bit more wavy, and I don't like the pissing about / discomfort of trying to get the dumbells up. Usually save dumbells for incline where I go lighter.

Waviness stops once your stabiliser muscles get stronger and more tuned in.

Weight is easy to get up with the right technique.

Each to their own, eh pall?

More important is when you get it. Your muscles are ready to assimilate all the protein it can, within your body's own ability to absorb it. Each of us vary in how much and how fast we can use protein.

This is why whey protein is so good immediately after a workout.

I take amino acids before and during a session. I find it very beneficial. Protein is, after all, a bunch of amino acids. Take it in pill form if you can. Amino acid powder tastes and smells horrible. In my experience. Wait for Holland and Barrett to do their buy one, get a second for 1p.

1g per pound of lean body mass is a great place to start. For a 200ib male with 15% body fat, you're looking at 85g of protein per day. Our government recommends around 0.8g per day per pound of LBM so that's 136g based on 170ib male with 15% bodyfat

So the 1g per pound will already put you ahead and give you an excess to use.

I would put money on it that they don't account for body fat percentage and increased activity and the amount of water we're holding. They base their figures on an average sedentary male that weighs 11st. So obviously very active people who lift weights will need more.

Edited by TT350

Thanks guys for the detailed advice. Core is something I have really skipped out on so far. Hopefully if I bring that up to speed the squats should get a bit smoother. They're the one exercise I have really struggled with.

You're welcome.

You'll come on leaps and bounds if you lower your squat weight and go for 15 reps for example (if you usually do 6-10 reps) and get that core and lower back stronger.

All sorts of things work your core. Do standing barbell curls with super strict form and slowly then you'll feel your core has been worked. You just can't do a curl without engaging your abs/core. If they weren't working you'd just double over forwards if you weren't using your core to keep you upright.

Lower back, do bent over rows at about 25 degrees or 3 of clock (if you imagine your body is the hour hand and your legs the minutes, your body will be pointing to 3 or 4 on the clock. You probably know that but I just wanted to explain thoroughly)

Weighted sit ups, hanging leg raises with ankle weights. All good. And the big one, Deadlifts. But they can really bum your back if you're out of form with them.

Waviness stops once your stabiliser muscles get stronger and more tuned in.

Weight is easy to get up with the right technique.

Each to their own, eh pall?

I find that lighter weights are actually more wavey. When there is some good resistance everything tends to settle down, just never feels quite as good as barbell.

Do standing barbell curls with super strict form and slowly then you'll feel your core has been worked. You just can't do a curl without engaging your abs/core. If they weren't working you'd just double over forwards if you weren't using your core to keep you upright.

I think I must have weird wrists cos I can't do barbell curls for shite. it's just uncomfortable and hurts. Even with an ez curl bar it doesn't feel right unless the angle is perfect, but that's hard to maintain as it wants to rotate.

Hammer curl bar or dumbbells are fine though.

Have a similar issue with rows and pull-ups (or lat pull down) with certain hand positions.

Thanks guys for the detailed advice. Core is something I have really skipped out on so far. Hopefully if I bring that up to speed the squats should get a bit smoother. They're the one exercise I have really struggled with.

Lower back, do bent over rows at about 25 degrees or 3 of clock (if you imagine your body is the hour hand and your legs the minutes, your body will be pointing to 3 or 4 on the clock. You probably know that but I just wanted to explain thoroughly)

Thanks for more input! Could I ask which method of bent over row you use? It seems you can choose between overhand grip, underhand grip, wide grip, narrow grip, raising it to your stomach, raising it to your rib cage, bent over parallel to the ground, bent over 45 degrees, and any combination of all those factors. No matter what I do, I can engage my lats well, and I get a nice feeling in my lower back, but I can never ever feel anything in my upper back. I try retracting my scapula at the top, but I find it either really easy or really difficult lol. Any pointers would be great. The only time I have ever felt an upper back pump is one time when I was doing RDLs.

I always have to barbell bench solo cos I don't have a spotter anymore :(

I know my limits though, so it's pretty safe, but stunted progress massively cos I can't really push it.

Always bench without clips too, so if it comes to it I can just roll to the side and shake the weights off.

Benching without clips sounds a bit dangerous if you ask me. I wouldnt fancy suddenly having some weights fall off one side of the barbell.

Ive a power cage in my home gym and so I use that for any barbell stuff like squats & bench as I always train on my own. Prior to that I used to love it as id be training to near failure and nothing quite motivates you as much as having to get that last rep up else you`ll end up trapped under the barbell. :lol:

I have used dumbells for bench press a lot lot more this last year and have noticed a big difference. Only problem I have with those is once you start getting to 90lb+ dumbells for the bench press I find it very hard to get them in position - even using the normal place them on knee and kick them up method. In the end I bought some power hooks which have resolved that problem.

Edited by rabbitstew

Could I ask which method of bent over row you use?

Best thing to do is switch it up, that way your body constantly has to adapt.

Benching without clips sounds a bit dangerous if you ask me. I wouldnt fancy suddenly having some weights fall off one side of the barbell.

Ive a power cage in my home gym and so I use that for any barbell stuff like squats & bench as I always train on my own. Prior to that I used to love it as id be training to near failure and nothing quite motivates you as much as having to get that last rep up else you`ll end up trapped under the barbell. :lol:

I have used dumbells for bench press a lot lot more this last year and have noticed a big difference. Only problem I have with those is once you start getting to 90lb+ dumbells for the bench press I find it very hard to get them in position - even using the normal place them on knee and kick them up method. In the end I bought some power hooks which have resolved that problem.

Always used to think so, but never had any issues not using clips. As long as you keep the bar reasonably horizontal, they aren't gonna come off. Just double check they are fully pushed on before starting a set.

The loss of dignity from getting trapped at the gym with people watching may just be worse than being trapped at home :lol:

Yeah, I'm using that sort of dumbbell weight for strength stuff. Never used the kick up technique, I just hold them on my thighs, lean back, and bring them up to my chest (so I start with them low rather than high).

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys ever get a week where you're much weaker than usual? This whole week ive just been exhausted. Sleeping loads, always feeling a little bit nauseous, craving junk food. My lifts are so bad this week that there just seems like there's no point in going. After any exertion I feel like I'm going to throw up. I dont think its over training - I felt amazing the week before...

Do I just push on with reduced weight? Or completely stop until I feel back to normal?

Edited by colesl4w

Just accept the occasional bad day / week and get on with it.

I always push to go to the gym regardless, but if I'm really not feeling it when I get there, I'll just do 2 or 3 exercises and call it a day. Then check your diet / sleep.

• 1 month later...

Started at a new gym (PureGym) a month ago on a temporary basis.

Finally back over 90kg and comfortably benching 100+ for reps. Shoulders and pull-ups still feel a bit weak, but they'll get there :happy:

However, now I'm back in the gym every other day, I get a lot of time to people watch... and I don't know whether to be concerned or just disappointed. Full body movement "bicep" curls, deadlifts with more arch than the Arc De Triomphe, I'm not sure I've even seen a single full rep yet, and don't get me started on the people who seem to spend the entire time there just taking pictures in the mirror.

I've been to several different gyms and it's never been this bad before. It doesn't really bother me, and there's plenty of equipment for me to just do my own thing, so I'm happy, but I feel a bit guilty not intervening in case someone hurts themselves. I don't want to spend my entire workout teaching people how to lift, and don't want to be "that guy", but I'm just sat there wincing and shaking my head between sets.

Started at a new gym (PureGym) a month ago on a temporary basis.

Finally back over 90kg and comfortably benching 100+ for reps. Shoulders and pull-ups still feel a bit weak, but they'll get there :happy:

However, now I'm back in the gym every other day, I get a lot of time to people watch... and I don't know whether to be concerned or just disappointed. Full body movement "bicep" curls, deadlifts with more arch than the Arc De Triomphe, I'm not sure I've even seen a single full rep yet, and don't get me started on the people who seem to spend the entire time there just taking pictures in the mirror.

I've been to several different gyms and it's never been this bad before. It doesn't really bother me, and there's plenty of equipment for me to just do my own thing, so I'm happy, but I feel a bit guilty not intervening in case someone hurts themselves. I don't want to spend my entire workout teaching people how to lift, and don't want to be "that guy", but I'm just sat there wincing and shaking my head between sets.

Go and get them told! You're awesome at trolling my posts to point out errors or debunk them lol ;)

But yeah, I just leave them to it. They never appreciate being told.

There's one guy who deadlifts and he really clanks the barbell down on each rep and it just makes everyone look over! he does them really fast too. And he goes past parallel and bends right back and sticks his hips forward.

Doesn't he question it? What part of his body does he think benefits from that extra movement? Bad back is looming large on his horizon.

And yeah, bicep curlers that don't actually use their biceps. Swing the weight up riiiight from bending over forward then swinging the weight up using their delts, forearms and lower back.

Absolutely no bicep engagement.

A lot of people have no structure either. They'll do a few reps then grab a different weight then do a few reps again and they won't do the same amount of reps then they'll just sack it off and go do something completely unrelated.

I have structured sets, reps and intervals.

I need my own gym.

Also, now, you see a lot more women in the free weights section. But only doing squats. Endless squats. For dat booty shot to stick on twitter!

But yes, so many girls coming in with full makeup and yoga pants on, guys with perfect hair and plunging vests reeking of ck one and they're just taking snaps all session! Pump and pout.

I think we can thank Geordie Shore for it.

Edited by TT350

Go and get them told! You're awesome at trolling my posts to point out errors or debunk them lol ;)

But yeah, I just leave them to it. They never appreciate being told.

There's one guy who deadlifts and he really clanks the barbell down on each rep and it just makes everyone look over! he does them really fast too. And he goes past parallel and bends right back and sticks his hips forward.

Doesn't he question it? What part of his body does he think benefits from that extra movement? Bad back is looming large on his horizon.

And yeah, bicep curlers that don't actually use their biceps. Swing the weight up riiiight from bending over forward then swinging the weight up using their delts, forearms and lower back.

Absolutely no bicep engagement.

A lot of people have no structure either. They'll do a few reps then grab a different weight then do a few reps again and they won't do the same amount of reps then they'll just sack it off and go do something completely unrelated.

I have structured sets, reps and intervals.

I need my own gym.

Also, now, you see a lot more women in the free weights section. But only doing squats. Endless squats. For dat booty shot to stick on twitter!

But yes, so many girls coming in with full makeup and yoga pants on, guys with perfect hair and plunging vests reeking of ck one and they're just taking snaps all session! Pump and pout.

I think we can thank Geordie Shore for it.

:lol: If it we're that easy I would.

To be fair, I drop the barbell quite quickly (but in a controlled manner) when doing DLs and it clanks, though I usually try minimise this by using mats etc. Was taught that way and don't like to let it go down too slow as it causes a lot of stress.

Also tend to drop dumbbells after pressing. Don't throw them across the room like some people, but drop that last bit because there's a lot of stress and chance for injury.

Will never understand people's justification for dropping machine weights though.

1) They miss out on a full negative rep

2) They look like an attention seeking idiot who can't gym

Conversely, I'm like a gym machine ninja.

Big fan of structure, with the occasional drop set thrown in every few weeks if I'm feeling particularly bold.

Best part about PureGym is it's open 24/7, so I can just go when it's quiet and it's like having my own gym (apart from a few Polish people who insist on shouting every sentence).

I'm not gonna complain about girls squatting, especially the ones in yoga pants. Gives me something nice to look at between sets, though I have been known t get distracted admiring their... form.... ;)

Edited by Strudul

However, now I'm back in the gym every other day, I get a lot of time to people watch... and I don't know whether to be concerned or just disappointed. Full body movement "bicep" curls, deadlifts with more arch than the Arc De Triomphe, I'm not sure I've even seen a single full rep yet.....

The best I ever saw was these guys doing benchpress. I say guys as there was one guy was lying on the bench trying to push the barbell up, whilst his mate was standing over him trying to pull the same barbell up in a rowing motion, and another mate was supervising screaming out encouragement to the guy trying to push the barbell up. It was amazing. The guy was really struggling to push the barbell up and his mate was struggling to pull it up also. It must have been the longest rep in history as they both struggled to move this bar. I honestly thought I was going to step in and help the poor guy. They finally managed to rack it up to my relief only to then hear the guy who just nearly killed himself under the bar to exclaim "that was light, lets put another plate on each side..........."

I just pmsl at that point and it really made me loose focus on my own workout.

• Like 1

Oh yeah. Yoga pants ftw.

Don't get me started on the guy whos sllllightly bigger than his entourage that are just there to spot/cheer him on with his 1 partial bench rep with 60kg.

I'm thinking about joining a 24hr gym despite the distance. I'm a night owl anyway.

Would definitely recommend it if you can go at odd hours.

Uni is up on the 22nd so I can go any time after that. Sometimes I'll be sat here at 3am thinking that I'd really love to go to the gym now.

My gym is good but it's perpetually crowded.