Bodybuilding.

TT350

I was at a wedding last weekend. Tried on my trusty old suit and burst out laughing when I wasn't physically able to sit down or reach for anything. Glad to see I'm getting some gains objectively, but there are definitely some belly gains too :lol: .

I see what you all mean about getting a shirt that fits your shoulders/arms and then looking like a bag of fabric everywhere else lol. Would you be tempted just to buy a nice shirt that fits up top, and get it tailored to bring it in tighter around the waist? I think it's quite cheap to do that.

I've always found this a problem too.

Slender guys can get a skinny fit shirt and it looks great. No problem.

I get a skinny fit shirt which fits my chest and shoulders, but tent like around my middle. Makes you look fat.

Even muscular guys like, say, Chris Evans can just get on off the shelf shirt. These guys with an athletic and lean figure can get away with it. They're straight up and down.

My chest has always been wide. In one sense it's good. I can have quite a lot of belly before its noticeable because my chest hides it. I'd never have a figure like Chris Evans no matter how much fat I lost. :(

With regards to cutting. It's very easy.

What I do is get big first. I don't deliberately bulk but I just lift weights and stick to maintenance calories. Really fires up your metabolism. Best off doing this over winter from say October to April. I dare say you'll lose fat anyway and if not you definitely won't put any on. But you'll gain a lot of muscle. And muscle requires calories to build and maintain.

Come April, start taking 500 calories a day off maintenance and if you can, do an hour light cardio before eating anything in the morning. Make sure it's just light cardio. Incline walking for example. Have a protein shake afterwards. No carbs until lunch. It might be difficult for the first 2 weeks but soon enough you'll love early morning cardio.

You'll lose fat very quickly this way.

Hit the weights on the evening as normal.

moved gym :scare:

after 12 years member with one of my 3 local gyms I have decided enough is enough

been relocating with them across various parts of the town but they never seem to invest in equipment so I though that is it especially after having the surprise of the gym being closed on last bank holiday without any notice what so ever

the new place has twice more equipment and newer,heavier weights,their own sunbeds,etc,etc ect...so I think is a no brainer

the only downside is that I had many friends at the old gym but I have to do what is best for me I'd say

:)

moved gym :scare:

after 12 years member with one of my 3 local gyms I have decided enough is enough

been relocating with them across various parts of the town but they never seem to invest in equipment so I though that is it especially after having the surprise of the gym being closed on last bank holiday without any notice what so ever

the new place has twice more equipment and newer,heavier weights,their own sunbeds,etc,etc ect...so I think is a no brainer

the only downside is that I had many friends at the old gym but I have to do what is best for me I'd say

:)

At least you have some friends.

Anyone got a session planned for today? After a not remotely enjoyable leg session yesterday (just because it was legs...lol) I'm back to chest/tris - yay! I have a little bit of wrist pain which I hope won't affect my bench / OHP.

We have a sauna / steam room / ice bath in our campus gym, which I've only used once so I might head in to that after.

Edited by colesl4w

My gym is a bit lacklustre too. They moved site recently and the new place is a bit smaller than the last.I wish they'd put a sauna and steam room in.

It's always rammed, too. Amy time of the day. It's only open 9am to 9pm too.

I have a little bit of wrist pain which I hope won't affect my bench / OHP.

Take it easy. I always end up fighting through pain and just making it worse to the point I have to cut out a load of exercises for a month or so.

It's always rammed, too. Amy time of the day. It's only open 9am to 9pm too.

No progress on swapping to a 24 hour gym?

Well, I know where there is one. I could go there as I'm definitely a night owl. But really, I shouldn't allow myself to get into "night shift" mode.

Although maybe it'll be good to go late and enjoy the peace and quiet and lifting. Sort of like a sanctuary. Light some candles and turn the lights off and listen to some Tibetan singing bowls!!

Ommmmm

• 3 weeks later...

I use myfitnesspal for that, love how you can just scan the barcode on whatever you buy or enter values manually when you make your own stuff.

My gym routine has been very scarce this last 3 weeks. Just didnt have time in week 1 at all as was busy looking after the kids whilst the wife worked in the evenings. Then we went on holiday for a week. I did get chance to workout in a commercial gym for 1 hr whilst I was away as there was one where we were staying. I forgot how much I loved working out in a proper gym. It was very weird though as I am so used to using free weights and there were all these machines everywhere which I had no idea what they did. Still, got one workout in. Then we have been back home a week and again I just have not had any spare time.

Hopefully I can get back into it next week, as looking back at my progress ive made zero progress really over this last 18 months, despite being very motivated and enthusiastic.

Ahh man. I hit 1790 Cals yesterday. 192g protein, 90.68g carbs, 71.15g fat.

Breakfast was 6 bacon medallions and one Mission tortilla wrap.

Lunch was a packet of instant noodles and 200g chicken breast. Piri Piri seasoning.

Dinner was 220g sirloin. 100g new potatoes. Broccoli.

Snacks were 1 scoop of whey and 2 Wickinger hot dogs. (198g weighed)

Today was 2 slices of toastie toast. 3 slices of lean bacon.

100g chicken and 1 tortilla wrap.

1x Tesco eat smart chicken salad sandwich and a scoop of whey.

Dinner will be sirloin and potatoes again.

Will add up the nutrition of it later and decide if hot dawgs are in.

How's everyone getting on? I am finally getting back into cardio as I have been neglecting it for about a year lol. It's forcing me to do less silly accessory lifts and focus on my main lifts so that I'm not there all day with the addition of cardio.

• Like 1

Great on my front. Fasted cardio is really working.

Because of the year I've had, I just threw training in the bin. I'd eat once a day or sometimes not at all.

I'm fully on the mend and eating 5 times a day and getting 4L of water in has made my muscles just fill right out. Great stuff.

I've settled into the mindset of marathon and not sprint. My goal is to be in great shape NEXT summer. Circa 10% body fat and 14.5/15st.

Next summer I'll begin dating I think. Confidence is very attractive and I'll have it.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have actually been making pretty good progress since June. Up`d my calories to 3200 a day, cut down on carbs and increased the intensity/weights. My body weight seems to hover about the same amount no matter what I do. Belly isnt getting any bigger, and actually has got a bit smaller, so I may have to up the calories a little more. 

Ive had a few injuries which have hampered my strength gains. I fell down the stairs seriously twisting my ankle, and I mean seriously twisting it. It swelled up to twice the size of the other one and turned black. I couldnt walk for a few weeks and even now nearly 4 months on its not 100%. It has limited movement and I can feel its still swollen compared to the other one. That put paid to any leg workouts - squats, deadlifts, even running. I have re-introduced light squats and heavy deadlifts this month and was quite sad to see my current 1RM deadlift is what I was hammering out for 6 sets of 6, 12 months ago. Nothing like backwards progress. I also pulled a muscle in my trap muscle, but I was careful to work around it and that seems to healed. However now I have bad tendonitus in my right arm for the last 6 weeks which means I cant do any bicep curls. Ive had it before and its very anoying, it just seems to linger about for months. Seems like im falling apart! :(

So its been very hard, especially when i still have hardly any spare time, and you wake up at 5:30am, having been up all night with a screaming toddler, then having to switch psycho mode on and hit the gym. Still, im extremely motivated atm and have been getting proper medieval :scare: with the weights.

Whilst my weight hasnt changed I can see my upper body is improving and all my shirts are feeling tight now. I also was quite pleased to have 3 of the wifes friends quite independently comment about how I look. Their words were "my god you look massive, what have you been doing?!". One just couldnt get over it and must have exclaimed it at least 4 times during the day. Whilst im not one to walk about in a muscle vest or anything, comments like that really do help motivate you and make you feel good. 

Im hoping to keep up the intensity over Christmas, avoid any more injuries and take full advantage of all that Christmas food!

On 20/06/2017 at 13:59, valy said:

trained at 30 degrees yesterday at the gym....they haven't got air conditioning ...just 1 big fan...felt like Texas :surrender:

Was 2 degrees outside the other morning and 5 degrees inside my gym. I dont usually wear gloves but I had to as my hands were freezing on the barbell!