New 350Z HR has low oil pressure

andyk3090

The 07 we picked up has the low oil pressure on the HR engine. (I know, how did I miss it on the test drive...). As everything else is spot on and it runs fine (and based on the low price paid) we have decided to keep it and do the oil gallery gaskets. Hopefully this is all it is, based on the well known issues with this engine. Parts are ordered and will probably get it done in the next few weeks.

Any tips or hints in doing this job will be gratefully received. I have done a few timing belts/chain replacements in the past and it seams manageable looking at the manual and other posts.

Thanks for any advice given.

Regards

Andy

If it has not been done already. I think I would be tempted to change oil and filter and make sure there is enough oil in it.

My 350 used to use very little between services but a couple of egg cups full were enough to drop the gauge pressure a bit.

What do you mean by low, is the engine up to temperature? What revs is it doing? Just interested as I have an HR.

Thanks

With engine up to temperature it is just sitting about 5psi when ticking over. At 2000 rpm it is about 15 psi and at higher revs around 25 - 30psi. I recon it is about 50% of what it should be.

Regards

Andy

is it only the HR which has oil press gauge as stD?

Is there an upgrade for this inadequate std part to prevent this alarming event re-ocurring

The replacement gasket for the oil galleries (which are the ones that blow) are now reinforced rather than just paper gaskets. Reading on the American websites for these HR engines, it looks like most peoples will go this way with mileage/age. :blush: Depends how stressed I get doing it, I may take some photos of the strip down and repair as I go along.

Not sure if it is just the HR that has the oil pressure guage, I thought they all had one.

All UK Zeds have an oil pressure gauge and (from memory) should read min 14.7 at tickover and 60 psi at 60 mph in sixth gear when the engine is warm ...

I traded my Zed at 7 years purely because the oil pressure had dropped to about the same readings as yours ... oh, and it's worth repeating that the guy who designed the DE dipstick was a dipstick ;)

Very unusual to hear a HR engine with oil pressure issues.

What mileage has the car done?

No oil leaks I presume?

What makes you think you need to change the timing chain - have you got a pic of the engine bay?

Very unusual to hear a HR engine with oil pressure issues.

What mileage has the car done?

No oil leaks I presume?

What makes you think you need to change the timing chain - have you got a pic of the engine bay?

Colin

96K on the clock, no oil leaks as the oil leaks internally back in to the sump. No pictures as yet, I hope to take some when I get round to doing it, No need to change the timing chain although I might do it as it is off. Only reason is the plates over the gaskets are behind the timing chain, hence it has to come off.

Have a look through my build thread ( link in signature below).

I had this problem and it's all sorted now ������

The pictures are great thanks. It looks a very clear view from the front. Was the area in front of the engine just clear because the radiator was removed or had they removed other items such as the crash panel and front panel etc? Just wondering how much I can get away with to minimise the strip down for the timing chain removal.

Many thanks

Andy

The pictures are great thanks. It looks a very clear view from the front. Was the area in front of the engine just clear because the radiator was removed or had they removed other items such as the crash panel and front panel etc? Just wondering how much I can get away with to minimise the strip down for the timing chain removal.

Many thanks

Andy

Mitz and his team at Cougar Store did the work, but I'm pretty sure they removed crash panel and everything to get in there.

Many thanks

Andy

Mitz and his team at Cougar Store did the work, but I'm pretty sure they removed crash panel and everything to get in there.

OK thanks, I guess I will just keep removing bits until I get in... :blush:

After reading about the oil gallery gasket fault I'm planning to put it on the list of bits to save up for this year to get her running her best. Currently my oil pressures are verging on running high, but after having a chat with sly the gasket problem could be present even if the pressures are fine. He said there is a chance the gasket has cracked further down the line from where the sensor is, but at that point the most important parts will be getting plenty of oil so until you see a pressure drop it's unlikely to do any damage. This gives me a bit of time to save up but I'll be keeping an eye on those numbers in case I need to stretch to fit it in earlier.

Best of luck to you Andy, hope she's off and on the road quick enough so you don't miss her too much :)

Just make sure the car does not go anywhere near Maltings Off Road, otherwise it will be off road for longer than you'd hoped

I only went there once with my sons Vectra to get a cam belt changed. They over tightened it and it whined on its return. We took it back and they said it was normal and would bed in. HAHAHA. He went to work at RAF Lossiemouth in the north of Scotland and back and it was exactly the same. They were reluctant to take it back in but we wouldn't back down and they put it right. Only time I have ever asked them to do anything.

I'm gonna guess you got this car as a "bargain"

Yeah, only paid £6k so have some cash to play with. We put aside £1k for any work needing doing, it is coming in at around £400.00 for all parts and that is also doing the timing chain and water pump as a precaution. It will be good experience for my son as well as I stand over him barking instructions while drinking coffee... :teeth: Edited by andyk3090
  • Like 1