Invidia and decats , too loud !

Richf

Bought a pair of decats and added them to my Invidia Gemini on my 370z a/t and I think they are going to be too loud , going to live with it for a while but as the car will need to go on track occasionally I suspect it will fall foul of noise testing . No booming or suchlike on cruise and its fine but when you floor it its rather fruity for sure

Unfortunately it does pull so much better above 5k than it did so I'm rather loathed to get rid of them

What options do I have ie Berk HFC or suchlike, will they temper the noise without strangling performance?

Has anyone gone from decats to hfc?

Sure gm passed for track with same set up and supercharger

Yep I had the same set up on my 350 with the supercharger to boot. ;)

I did pass the static noise test at Castle Combe and was able to go on track. After I came off the track though I got pulled in for another noise test as I had failed a drive by noise test. :thumbdown:

Passed the static test again at 4.5K rpm but when I revved it above 5K rpm it was too loud so I was told I wouldn't be allowed on the track again as it was just too loud on the drive by noise test when I went above 5K rpm.

Oh and my car with the Invidia Gemini exhaust system & Berks De-Cats registered 92Db @4.5K rpm from 0.5metre which passed the sound regulations but when I came in after being on track I was told I had registered 101Db as I drove by the pit lane so was told it was too loud. :nono:

They re-checked it and when I revved above 5K rpm it was close on 105/7Db from 0.5metre away. Luckily I only wanted to go on the once. :rolleyes:

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/97440-performance-car-action-day-at-castle-combe-video-pics-250415/

Bit of a bummer as it sounded so good on full chat. Berks HFC's are a good option as I had those before with my Invidia, ...definitely quiter. :thumbs:

Track cars should be as quiet as possible, IMHO. No point in creating problems for us all, we're hated by NIMBYs as it is :(

Easiest thing to do is to swap the stock backbox on before track. Easy enough to do yourself at home, or a £20 favour to your mate down the garage.

Track cars should be as quiet as possible, IMHO. No point in creating problems for us all, we're hated by NIMBYs as it is :(

Easiest thing to do is to swap the stock backbox on before track. Easy enough to do yourself at home, or a £20 favour to your mate down the garage.

that would mess the tune up if supercharged tho surly

Stock backbboxbox isnt interchangeable with the invidia system , a full exhaust change before going on track wouldnt be one of my favourite ideas

Some tracks will lend you or hire you exhaust bungs to bring the noise level down. I actually witnessed a Skyline owner having to fit them at Castle Combe, ...they looked bonkers on his exhaust as they actually stuck out a fair bit but must have worked as he was on track later.

Personally if you think you're going to be doing enough track days that this will be a nuisance to you then I'd go for the Berks HFC's. You'll still get a lovely sound from your exhaust and the noise level will be much lower in comparison to the De-cats. ;)

that would mess the tune up if supercharged tho surly

Unlikely by enough to do any damage, unless the tune is borderline anyway (which it shouldn't be). If in any doubt, map with the stock backbox on. :)

I was replying to the OP though, not GM.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you do a drive by and static test before you make any changes, or buy a meter.

Remember that you can get rear inserts to reduce the DB.

Hi There :) Where would you go about purchasing rear inserts, tried searching but found nothing.

Why don't you do a drive by and static test before you make any changes, or buy a meter.

Hi There :) Where would you go about purchasing rear inserts, tried searching but found nothing.

What exhaust and tail pipe design are you running?

Stock for now, trying to weigh up my option if I get something louder.

Stock for now, trying to weigh up my option if I get something louder.

Bungs come in different shapes and sizes, so no point searching or buying until you have your new exhaust. :surrender:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Motordyne art pipes .... Best of both , all the benefits from decats and quieter than hfc . Speak to Torqen .

Id say this ^^^^^^ is your best bet for performance whilst keeping the sound down . Im running invidia cbe with berk hfc and its still pretty loud but i love it haha