Some rare photographs from history (Pt 2).

GMballistic

Did this once before, ...see here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/94555-some-rare-photographs-from-history/

So thought I'd just post up some more interesting historical pictures I've come across. ;)

Racing cars on the roof of the Fiat factory in Turin, Italy (1923)

02-Rare-History-Photos-Race-Cars1.jpg

Out fishing for fun ~ Che Guevara and Fidel Castro (1960)

13-Rare-History-Photos-Fidel-Castro-Che-Guevara-Fishing1.jpg

The first International tennis match held at Wimbledon (1883)

16-Rare-History-Photos-First-Wimbledon-Match1.jpg

The only known picture of a living Quagga taken at the London Zoo (1870)

25-Rare-History-Photos-Extinct-Zebra-Quagga1.jpg

The only known picture of Henry McCarty AKA "Billy the Kid" (1879)

29-Rare-History-Photos-Billy-The-Kid1.png

Test pilot George Aird narrowly escapes death by ejecting sideways from a prototype jet that has nosedived (1962)

38-Rare-History-Photos-George-Aird-Ejecting-Sideways1.jpg

Schwerer Gustav ~ one of the largest pieces of artillery used in combat being observed by Hitler, Speer & others (1941)

04-Rare-History-Photos-Amazing-Machine1.jpg

Hope you enjoyed them. :thumbs:

• Like 7

Interesting photos, I remember having a Che Guevara T shirt when I was a teenager lol!

The Lightning and old Fordson tractor are very surreal,

I always think of the film "Wrong Turn" when I see that pic of Billy the Kid, he looks decidedly hillbilly to me, maybe that's why he got his reputation.

• Like 1

Very interesting GM. I always thought billy the kid was called William Bonney ?

See below as nixy states William H Bonney was one of his alias names. ;)

Fantastic pics!

Billy the Kid used the name William Bonney as one of his alias names but his real name was as above.

Thanks all and glad you found them interesting. :thumbs:

• Like 1

The hitler pic is the most interesting one for me. Pretty terrifying to see what he got up to

The hitler pic is outstanding. Sheer size of that machine!

It is very interesting I think looking back on that period in time. I'm particularly interested in WW1 as my great grandfather fought in that war and WW2 as my grandfather (my Dads father) fought in that war.

You have probably heard this before but Hitler was an infantry man in World War 1 (circled below) and was wounded in battle (history could have been so different if only he'd been killed).

e53224c.jpg

Also Hitler used to have a handle bar style mustache (as can be seen in the picture above) but changed it to the now infamous toothbrush style mustache as the bigger handle bar style stopped him from being able to fit his gas mask correctly. ;)

• Like 1

Very interesting GM. I always thought billy the kid was called William Bonney ?

See below as nixy states William H Bonney was one of his alias names. ;)

Fantastic pics!

Billy the Kid used the name William Bonney as one of his alias names but his real name was as above.

Thanks all and glad you found them interesting. :thumbs:

Everyday is a school day as they say ! I didn't know that. Thanks :thumbs:

Edited by ZEUS
  • Like 1

Everyday is a school day as they say ! I didn't know that. Thanks :thumbs:

Really interesting character, ...I'd have paid more attention in school if they'd have shown us more cool history stuff rather than all the boring cr*p like the "Rebecca riots" and were coal comes from. :dry::lol:

Pretty sure he had a few other alias names too but I don't know them without looking them up. ;)

Also Hitler used to have a handle bar style mustache (as can be seen in the picture above) but changed it to the now infamous toothbrush style mustache as the bigger handle bar style stopped him from being able to fit his gas mask correctly. ;)

That was just one theory, amongst the many, many boring ones the other theory which tickled me was that he changed it when he started public speaking as a means to hold the interest of the watching crowd - apparently the "doesn't that look a little odd" factor is quite handy for public speakers. Who knew!

Similar theory about Churchill was that he had a metal pin in his cigars so the observing crowd would be drawn in by wondering when the ash was going to fall from it.

Probably all b*ll*cks, but the theory amuses me at least. :lol:

That was just one theory, amongst the many, many boring ones the other theory which tickled me was that he changed it when he started public speaking as a means to hold the interest of the watching crowd - apparently the "doesn't that look a little odd" factor is quite handy for public speakers. Who knew!

Similar theory about Churchill was that he had a metal pin in his cigars so the observing crowd would be drawn in by wondering when the ash was going to fall from it.

Probably all b*ll*cks, but the theory amuses me at least. :lol:

Hadn't heard that before about Hitler or Churchill.

I guess both could just as easily be the true reason/s. Cheers. :thumbs: