So I quite fancy a private plate

Tomb

If you can afford it go for one without a prefix, a plate with just 1,2 or 3 numbers and 3 letters looks much better in my opinion, as someone said before register your interest with DVLA and they will tell you when a suitable number comes up for auction. I got mine 144 MBS for £1200.

M

Hint: Get the oldest plate you can. That way, you can transfer it to pretty much anything you want when you sell the car.

I'm okay with most things I'd ever want with my R-reg, but the missus has an 04 plate one which is limiting car choice a bit. Of course, I'll just buy her another plate if I need to rather than let that decide the car choice, but you can see what I mean.

I went for a boring V6 + initials. Freshens the car a little especially with new plates.

The problem is, when you change car, you now either have to find someone buying the car with the same initials as you, or you have to buy another V6 car :lol: (I know it's not literally that hard, but y'know!)

It always annoys me when I see V10 XXX on a V8 etc, always just makes me think, uh oh, someone had a pay cut recently :p

I went for a boring V6 + initials. Freshens the car a little especially with new plates.

The problem is, when you change car, you now either have to find someone buying the car with the same initials as you, or you have to buy another V6 car :lol: (I know it's not literally that hard, but y'know!)

It always annoys me when I see V10 XXX on a V8 etc, always just makes me think, uh oh, someone had a pay cut recently :p

Of course. But it was cheap and just a bit of fun :)

Admittedly, were I to buy one again, I'd go either via auction to get something random and ageless, or something more reflective of my name/initials.

• Like 1

I waited 7 years for one that I liked that didn't cost a fortune.

This popped up out of the blue last year on DVLA for £150.

Bargain!

e9127418c218aed0967cf60e9aa9b611_zpsewxdjego.jpg

But then you had to pay another £150 to change your name by deed poll to Andy James didn't you???

:lol:

Mine is C5 CPU on the Zed Mrs K had K5 CPU and on the truck I have C5 KKJ all personal to us :)

C5 my initials (almost) CS, and KKJ is the first initial of each of my family - wife and the two girls - I like em so that's all that matters :)

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

IMHO if you are spending a fair bit of money then get something related to you and not the car, then you can take it with you.

Dont be afraid to look at the upcoming auctions from the DVLA too. Many go for far less than you would expect, even as little as the standard plate prices on their general website, but dont forget hammer premium and VAT.

Mine now all tend to be BA11 XXX given my surname of Ball.

Latest one went on just before Wimbledon started. :lol:

23hlg04.jpg

• Like 1

My mum loves Whinnie the Pooh and bought P1 OOH about 15 years ago, she's taken it across many cars, then recently she keeps getting offers of VERY large sums of money. We live round the corner from the McLaren factory, she's been followed twice by people with more money than sense offering her cash for it. She'll never sell it though, she bought it with some inheritance from her grandmother so the value to her is more than just money.

• Like 2

If you can afford it go for one without a prefix, a plate with just 1,2 or 3 numbers and 3 letters looks much better in my opinion

Dateless plates always look good. Much nicer than a prefix plate with initials

Found this site recently that has 6 character plates starting at £250

http://www.readyreg.com/numberplates_regonline?sort=price&order=a

My wife's friends/ family have called her "Bella" since she was little, our surname is Brown. Hunted about for ages and eventually found

0bb167fb0c9686052d2459e83a853cf9.jpg

It's just a shame her car's an 08 plate so we can't put it on :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk