Cloud Headlights - Cure

Had some haze and cloudiness on my headlights, read many posts on here and decided to go with the following:

Megartius NXL All Metal Polish £9.99 from Halfrauds, (can get it cheaper online but could not be bothered to wait)

Was really simple to do and only took 5 min per lens. Be careful not to get any on the paint work, other than that its a bit of elbow grease and a rag. Very happy with the results. :teeth:

Before and after picture shows the difference really well.

IjC2Wfy.jpg

OzDYUNN.jpg

Did the same on the MR2 . . . :)

kRwMxqv.jpg

Q6nJ5aG.jpg

• Like 1

I did the same yesterday but with Megs Headlights restorer + the 4 stage wet&dry sanding. Finish by applying 2 layers of Turtle Wax Ice Car synthetic paste for UV protection--> http://www.amazon.co...FQ2F3882PZVVEQR

Great minds think a like as that's exactly how I did mine and they looked great still even months later. ;)

• Like 1

Polishing them up is only half the battle - they'll cloud over again unless you coat them with something UV resistant - but that's a decent effort there. :thumbs:

Okay I will look into this, thanks for advice, makes sense that needs somekind of protection from the sun. Sunlotion! lol. Do you thinkn some waxes have some form of UV protection?

Good effort.

Get that bloody engine bay wiped down you mucky pup!

:teeth: Never really been a engine bay clean kind of guy, although having been to the Wales meet I was inspired, so may get cleaning and detailing! B)

Some waxes offer a level of UV protection, however they don't tend to last long on plastic (or glass) headlights, so unless you want to top it up weekly it's not really the best option. You're better off using a coating designed for plastic for longer term protection.

• 1 month later...

Some waxes offer a level of UV protection, however they don't tend to last long on plastic (or glass) headlights, so unless you want to top it up weekly it's not really the best option. You're better off using a coating designed for plastic for longer term protection.

Update - So as you all said, the cloudiness is starting to appear again. Not really badly, but you can see it starting to cloud. Need to re polish and then apply UV protection to it. Not sure what to use thats the only issue (I dont really want to keep applying the protection every month)!

Not sure what to use thats the only issue (I dont really want to keep applying the protection every month)!

Already suggested Gtechniq after you first polished them up ;P (second reply to your original post)

I polished my headlights in July too.

Used Gtechniq C4 on top as a uv barrier.

Early days yet but so far still look pristine.

Gtechnique should last around two years....-ish

Edited by BulletMagnet
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

For the price of a sheet of 2500grit wet n dry and a small tin of marine (very high UV resistant protection) clear varnish, I'm two and a half years in and they look just as good as when I did them. Just a thought

Very interested in what varnish you used. . . . could you let us know please??