350z vs Cayman S

checkers88

Power to weight in straights. Two like for like racers....My old s41a at 330bhp used to pass a friends stripped e46 (stripped with smg) on the majority of bedford + silverstone. Confident the HR would be similar to the e46 m3

This is why they cost more to start with and are now at least 3x the value of a used DE350.

A 2007 Cayman S can be had for around 16k these days, a 2007 HR around 9k. A 2007 Cayman S cost 50 grand when new, an HR cost in the region of 30 grand. While in percentage terms the Cayman has done a bit better than The Zed in actual £'s in your pocket its done a lot worse. They also cost a lot more to start with because Porsche make an average of $28k (2007 figures) on every car they sell, the highest profit margin of any car manufacturer.

Pete

This is why they cost more to start with and are now at least 3x the value of a used DE350.

A 2007 Cayman S can be had for around 16k these days, a 2007 HR around 9k. A 2007 Cayman S cost 50 grand when new, an HR cost in the region of 30 grand. While in percentage terms the Cayman has done a bit better than The Zed in actual £'s in your pocket its done a lot worse. They also cost a lot more to start with because Porsche make an average of $28k (2007 figures) on every car they sell, the highest profit margin of any car manufacturer.

Pete

A 2015 Cayman GTS list price is £55k but you think an S cost £50k eight years ago???

I pay roughly the same on my Cayman S as I did on the 350Z, although when I changed cars Sky Insurance (who I was insured on the 350Z with) said that the underwriter would not cover me on the new car because of my age, and therefore I had to cancel my policy with several months remaining with the potential refund being swallowed up by 'admin fees' even though it was them who wouldn't cover me! Thieves!

So just a warning to anyone who is in the same situation as I was! :)

I pay roughly the same on my Cayman S as I did on the 350Z, although when I changed cars Sky Insurance (who I was insured on the 350Z with) said that the underwriter would not cover me on the new car because of my age, and therefore I had to cancel my policy with several months remaining with the potential refund being swallowed up by 'admin fees' even though it was them who wouldn't cover me! Thieves!

So just a warning to anyone who is in the same situation as I was! :)

Same thing happened me with Chris Knott when I swapped the 350 for the M6. Half way through the policy I changed the car and they couldn't get me insured. Admiral it is then :thumbs: But it was a bitter pill to swallow losing those 6 months NCB.

• Like 1

Right I'm going to have my 2p, I bought a 987 Boxster S a couple of months ago as my daily, Although I'm a huge fan of the Z car, the porsche I a far better drivers car, feel,grip,balance,handling. The power is good to, my 3.2s level pegs in straight line performance to a 350zHR & on track leaves the 350's sucking on v-power vapour.

The only downsides against a zed car is that the 987 doesn't drift like a zed.

• Like 2

Right I'm going to have my 2p, I bought a 987 Boxster S a couple of months ago as my daily, Although I'm a huge fan of the Z car, the porsche I a far better drivers car, feel,grip,balance,handling. The power is good to, my 3.2s level pegs in straight line performance to a 350zHR & on track leaves the 350's sucking on v-power vapour.

:teeth:

d2ec6f44cc549c1131d8be579980f39c5c34bbbe7ed3ca7d6fe782eb948a92ad.jpg

• Like 1

Pete

A 2015 Cayman GTS list price is £55k but you think an S cost £50k eight years ago???

They were 45k when introduced in 2006 , but that was for the basic model which is very basic indeed. Add some of the things that you get as standard in the GT Package on the HR Zed, like electric seats, Bi-Xenon lights. rear window wiper. etc, plus metallic paint you're probably looking at an average sale price of around £50k, in fact looking at the list and eye watering price of options I'd bet that many Cayman S's actually cost their original owners 55k back in 2006/7.

Pete

• Like 1

+1, I loved my Zed when I had it, but the Cayman would run rings round it on roads like the Triangle. Just put MPSS on mine too which has made it even more supple but with more grip, well worth doing :thumbs:

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, the 350Z was a great car and I will probably have another one someday :)

Edited by jjt
  • Like 1

Pete

They were 45k when introduced in 2006 , but that was for the basic model which is very basic indeed. Add some of the things that you get as standard in the GT Package on the HR Zed, like electric seats, Bi-Xenon lights. rear window wiper. etc, plus metallic paint you're probably looking at an average sale price of around £50k, in fact looking at the list and eye watering price of options I'd bet that many Cayman S's actually cost their original owners 55k back in 2006/7.

Pete

You need to take your 350z glasses off for a few seconds a day :lol:

The base price of base cars was £30k & just over £40k. Yes Porsche options are horrendous, but any worse that Birdpoo Sat Nav in the Zed for £2k, £2.5k for Nismo kit or £2k for Nismo wheels???.............easily a £36k car without trying.

Anyway, even if the 2007 base cars are £7k apart now, isn't that to be expected?

The Zed's main attractiveness has always been it's price/performance against more expensive cars. I actually bought my UY GT4 Zed for £36k ahead of a boxster or TT at the time, mainly because it was cheaper than the rest but almost as good; doesn't that still apply but just with different numbers now??

Edited by Sarnie

yeah ists all about value / money / performance / character .. thats why TVR are so popular - The Griff was introduced at £21k in 92 - just hearing one start up whithout seeing it, most enthusiasts would do anything to find the money - then seeing one....'omg!' - If you had it, you would probably happily have paid 50% more

yeah ists all about value / money / performance / character .. thats why TVR are so popular - The Griff was introduced at £21k in 92 - just hearing one start up whithout seeing it, most enthusiasts would do anything to find the money - then seeing one....'omg!' - If you had it, you would probably happily have paid 50% more

i notice you left out reliability

• Like 1