0-60 in 2.8 seconds in a family saloon...That's Ludicrous!!

gangzoom

So Tesla appears to have gone mad, less than 10 months ago they added the 691 BHP, 0-60 3.2seconds with 'Insane mode', the P85D to the Model S range....

Now they have announced a P90D with 'Ludicrous' mode....0-60 is now 2.8 seconds with a 1/4 time of 10.9 seconds....That's getting close to Veyron levels of acceleration!!!

The power delivery at full throttle is up to 1500 amps....A diesel electric locomotive ONLY produces about 5000 amps of Peak power.

So in just 3 years of launch the 'P' versions of the Model S dropped its 0-60 time from 4.2 seconds to 2.8 seconds....Yes I know 0-60 times isn't everything, but I for one have never thought I'll be able to experience, let alone buy a family car that can get any where near the accelerative force of a Bugatti Veyron!!

What's more, there's no hint this is it for Tesla, the Model S will be due a 'facelift' in 12-24 months time. A P100D is 100% on the cards, so who knows that kind of power is coming down the line....Oh they have also announced a cheaper £52K 330bhp RWD only 70S.

So the choice is yours, £52K for a basic RWD version or £90K+ for the 'Ludicrous' P90D, all wrapped up in a family friendly shell, with running costs cheaper than a Fiesta (not counting depreciation) ...or wait 12 months for a facelifted P100D with even crazier levels of performance :D....Bring on Xmas 2016, because that when I'll be ordering what ever crazy Model S Tesla has onsale at that point!!!

Strange as it may seem, all of a sudden a 0-60 time of more than 3 seconds just seems to slow :)

a2R3OTOH.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

with running costs cheaper than a Fiesta (not counting depreciation) ...

Or insurance; the price difference of which (for me) would be enough to pay for the "running costs" (by which I assume you only refer to the non-comparable costs such as fuel & services rather than including the comparable costs such as the cheap 15/16" tyres on the Fiesta to the not-so-cheap 20/21" tyres on the much more aggressive Tesla - which will of course wear at exactly the same rate... obviously. ;) ) of a smaller capacity ICE Fiesta for the whole year over the same mileage. And only the Admiral Group will offer premiums lower than 4 digits before the decimal point (I've not even heard of the other companies!) which alone rules out anything with a Tesla badge because I can't get decent insurance anyway.

You might almost have convinced me that this was a hugely impressive car all round but yet again you've gone and oversold with selective claims it I'm afraid.

I'm not sure sure about these electric cars yet. Had a look at the Nissan Leaf out of curiosity, as their advertised "2p per mile" sounded like a very good idea for my uneventful commute. What they don't tell you is the battery lease is around £60 per month (not sure if that's still the case) plus then whatever gets lumped onto your electric bill from charging. Apparently the economy in winter is pretty bad too.

So some fag packet maths... Say I do my 20mile round trip per day @ an average of 4p per mile, I'm spending £60 on a battery and £16 on electric so a total of £76 a month.

Any 2.0 diesel engine or small petrol would only drink about £40-50 per month in fuel. Therefore unless you're doing a hell of a lot of miles to get the value from the battery lease, I can't really see the point.

Funny enough i am glad our own major Tesla shareholder posted this morning.

On the radio news just yesterday energy companies have stated they are unsure they will be able to keep up with electricity demand this winter and are concerned about how they can meet demands and subsequently prices will rise ;)

Doesnt bode well for a country of electric cars now does it if they cant even meet the needs to run a home :)

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

0-60 in under three seconds and all for just £90K wrapped up in a big bodyshell with 4WD is impressive.

It's just a shame that the GT-R has been doing that trick for a while now, for £12K less. That buys A LOT of petrol.

• Like 4

I find these cars absolutely amazing and having had the privilege of being a passenger in one I can say that I've never sat in a car that made me feel more like 'this is the future'

That said I miss the loud obnoxious combustion engine sound track... Tesla for the daily?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 with Tapatalk

I have no problems been ladled a Tesla fan, sadly not a shareholder - Not enough funds.

The base version of model S is now a decent saving compared to before - over £4k off and nearly below the £50k mark. It's good to see Tesla driving down the price of entry as well introducing stupidly quick versions :)

19609835669_1e469a4178_z_d.jpg

In regards to the 'battery rental' on the Leaf, you have to take the total cost into consideration. My 'battery rental' on the Leaf is £70/month, but the rest of the car is £108/month - bare in mind my Sky bill is £60/month a total cost of £208/month to run a brand new car is cheap which ever way you look at it. A used Leaf can be had now for £8k - including all battery costs.

Despite a brand new Tesla now with-in my budget, you guys will be glad to hear I wouldnt be in a position to buy one till late 2016 due to the Leaf deal....So prepare for lots more electric car news....Just waiting for Nissan to formally announce their next lot of EVs :lol:

On the radio news just yesterday energy companies have stated they are unsure they will be able to keep up with electricity demand this winter and are concerned about how they can meet demands and subsequently prices will rise ;)

Doesnt bode well for a country of electric cars now does it if they cant even meet the needs to run a home :)

We do need to change the way we generate electricity - and move away from current models.

This is the coverage from one of the major oil company magazines :)

Alberta-Oil-Tesla-Model-S-570x681.jpg

http://www.albertaoilmagazine.com/2015/07/is-teslas-model-s-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-oil/

http://fortune.com/2015/07/14/tesla-cto-low-cost-batteries-change-everything/

In regards to the 'battery rental' on the Leaf, you have to take the total cost into consideration. My 'battery rental' on the Leaf is £70/month, but the rest of the car is £108/month - bare in mind my Sky bill is £60/month a total cost of £208/month to run a brand new car is cheap which ever way you look at it.

Very cheap. However, you can get a Picanto/Up!/500/Aygo/Micra for the same £108 a month, which then leaves you £80 a month (£70 for the battery and £10 for electric) to buy fuel for it. Assuming they're for local use and no long trips, I reckon financially you could still be better off not going for the EV option.

How does the insurance compare with an ICE car? Genuine question, I've no idea.

Insurance on the Leaf for me is £300 fully comp

The Leaf is more Astra size than super mini, and I paid £0 deposit and really wanted to try an EV. If pure money saving was my aim I would have bought a £500 Micra.

It's the EV drivetrain of the Leaf I love. I'm certainly NOT considering buying a £50K Tesla just because it's cheap to re-fuel.

Has anyone else here tried any EV?

In regards to the 'battery rental' on the Leaf, you have to take the total cost into consideration. My 'battery rental' on the Leaf is £70/month, but the rest of the car is £108/month - bare in mind my Sky bill is £60/month a total cost of £208/month to run a brand new car is cheap which ever way you look at it.

Very cheap. However, you can get a Picanto/Up!/500/Aygo/Micra for the same £108 a month, which then leaves you £80 a month (£70 for the battery and £10 for electric) to buy fuel for it. Assuming they're for local use and no long trips, I reckon financially you could still be better off not going for the EV option.

How does the insurance compare with an ICE car? Genuine question, I've no idea.

This, although in 10 years time if they're mass producing some kind of "standard fit" batteries, I would probably consider an electric car. Although now it just isn't financially viable or practical for me personally.

We do need to change the way we generate electricity - and move away from current models.

This is the coverage from one of the major oil company magazines :)

Alberta-Oil-Tesla-Model-S-570x681.jpg

http://www.albertaoi...he-end-for-oil/

http://fortune.com/2...nge-everything/

Fascinating i am sure, but being we only have a few ways of making electric, how is the going to happen ("move away from current models") or we just going to leave it to chance that the scientists will find something?

I swear there was a long thread all about this the other day .....

Yes, even I'm getting bored of repeating the same answer to same questions....

Fascinating i am sure, but being we only have a few ways of making electric, how is the going to happen ("move away from current models") or we just going to leave it to chance that the scientists will find something?

As above for the sake of not having to repeat myself, the solution really isn't rocket science, I'm sure most 10 years old can grasp the concept of paring a solar panel with a battery to enable 24/7 power generation…..

http://fortune.com/2...nge-everything/

http://www.350z-uk.c...40#entry1499340

Edited by gangzoom

I can grasp it, so no need for your subtle dig, but it isnt happening is it, you just believe everything tesla writes in true fanboi fashion. The yech isnt there, the supply isnt there, your just blindly following the speil :)

If your bored of repeating yourself, why put up your Tesla posts,as if we didnt know already ;)

Not helping I know, but personally, I think electric is ultimately the way forward too. However, a more practical (due to the current installation of petrol stations) and better solution than fully EV (for the petrol headed feel factor), I love the idea of hybrid. But.. I want my ICE component to be supercharged 3.5V6 not 1.4 or less. I'd love it if there was a plug and play electric motive prop shaft replacement coupled to a rack of LiPo which provided drive and energy recovery. Conceptually, LMP1 hybrid cars are to die for IMHO. Just sayin'