Jump to content

docwra

Members
  • Posts

    4,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by docwra

  1. Learn2Drift and Drift Limits are the two most popular these days, both offer a good day out for reasonable monies
  2. I doubt you heard of anyone picking one up for £3500 either
  3. Just got to jump on Ekonas post here as well, the Zed is a fantastic car for the money .......... but dont kid yourself it can run with cars that cost £10's of K more, because it cant and doesnt. If we take a C4S, a Jag XKR and a 350Z from 2006, the list prices were £72K, £69K and £25K. Depreciation means that all 3 cars are now roughly in the same price bracket but dont fool yourself that they are equal, the Porsche cost nearly 3 times as much to start with! Funnily enough I get the same grief on SXOC for describing the Z33 as a better car than an S14. Is that because Im a hater, or because I live in the real world and am able to remove my rose tinted specs?
  4. Im sure you trust this guy but who is he? The bottom pulley does affect cam timing but if the timing is "constantly changing" you would have had valves embedded in your pistons by now, the car would certainly be running rough as a badgers arse anyway. Another pic! Notice how only the part of the crank with the belt on it is visible from outside the engine, also notice how the belt links up and drives the cams which in turn cause the valves to open and close, if this isnt working properly the engine will lunch itself in less than a full revolution .........
  5. Driftworks, for free. They will be gone in a week I reckon
  6. You cant see the crank without taking the sump off, hes talking about something between the keyway and the crank pulley. If its been running without problems already I wouldnt sweat it. See here: fitted to an engine you wouldnt see anything other than the nose, everything else is inside the engine. I reckon youll be right, if in doubt I can recommend Julian Smith @ GarageD as hes forgotten more than most Skyline experts know
  7. Adding weld to journals is a very different kettle of fish to welding a whole crank ............ and the mechanic wouldnt be able to have seen the journals without taking the sump off either.
  8. Gotta be going hybrid havent they? Christ knows what the climbing frame is all about though, better pic here:
  9. Ive heard of, and probably done a lot of dodgy things myself in my time, but ive never heard of anyone cutting a crank up then rewelding it. Thats pretty mental. I dont think its actually possible, having come from CA engines which @*!# their big ends every 20 minutes I know that even a light score can cause issues, a total reweld is never going to be balanced again. I can see that perhaps the very front part where the pulley attaches might have been grafted on, but like I say, if its not thrown a shell within 5 seconds of starting its probably not so much of a bodge job as you think
  10. Woah, you cant just cut a crank and reweld it, thats crazy. Surely if its been working find up to this point its balanced though, any reason you wouldnt just ignore it?
  11. Hes actually been in Italy for the last few days, probably why there was a bit of a delay but hes back now
  12. I have it on good authority that they are actually a bit rubbish - not actually that fast, not very well built, harsh ride but not great handling either They do sound obscene though
  13. All speedo's overread, by law they cannot underread and things like tyre wear will affect what they display so they are set high int he first place. So if you are showing 31 mph, you arent getting nicked As for the OP, unlucky, I take it those berating you havent ever noticed that EVERYTHING does 80 mph on the motorway anyway. Ive passed the old bill at higher speeds than that as thats what the traffic I was in was doing, its hardly crime of the century.
  14. Not tried 39's but used 31's and really rated them, I know the M3 boys are fond of the KU39 as well: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1359099
  15. A lot of your food grows in poo, you might find your kids get a bit thin.
  16. Just to add here that all wheel designs are not equal - a 9J ET0 might be fine on a BBS LM, for instance but it doesnt automatically mean that an SSR Vienna will work - also bear in mind there were at least 4 different disk options on a Vienna, each will give different amounts of brake clearance
  17. a) Horse crap isnt actually dangerous like dog crap is Tying a horse up for a bit while you jump off and scoop its poop isnt really an option in most streets c) Carrying said droppings may cause a problem as they can produce quite a lot ........ You can get catchers but why not just fling it on your garden instead, will do wonders for the roses
  18. docwra

    Next car

    The guy has had an IS-F, an Evo and an RS4 and youre calling the S3 a "proper car"? Aidan, youve owned or tried everything, theres only one option left .............. Ive actually seen and sat in this one and its beautiful, get it done
  19. docwra

    Next car

    Tried the M3/C63/XFR (bit pricey for the last one but they are lovely )?? Also XKR's, XJR's are worth a look if thats your bag, what about a Maserati as well?
  20. Ive got a better one for you - we are a recruitment company and operate reverse charge on overseas VAT so Im also paying out before I get it back in, but my favourite is when I pay expenses, despite no-one making any profit on the expenses I have to pay onward VAT and then wait for it to come back. HMRC, Y U DO THIS??
  21. I pay myself PAYE these days to try and avoid the "can we make an arrangement" phone call every year
  22. docwra

    Next car

    Megane pisses on the Clio, seriously fast car S4 is rather uninvolving, not driven an Insignia but cant imagine they make you angry in the pants, at that money with a V8 Id be looking at the IS-F - I preferred it to the E92/C63 and you can pick em up for £20K, if youre old enough the V8 XF is an amazing car too if a bit softer. M135i is definitely worth a look too, would you really be happy knocking about in a Clio .........?
  23. Polestars look pretty good but weigh slightly more than the moon. That said, I had a D5 S60 as a hire car last year and couldnt fault it, really nice to drive. @*!#, Ive just got old.
  24. Im guessing you havent driven one then, or by "marginally" you mean "the width of the English Channel" - there are less than half as many Caymans as 350's on the roads as well. Its really good to see that so many people think so much of their 350's, but they just dont measure up to 996's IMO - build quality, performance, image, everything is better in the Porsche, thats why age for age they cost twice as much before you even consider the GT's and Turbots. The Cayman is closer but it was still 30% more expensive when new, at the end of the day its going to be better in most aspects.
×
×
  • Create New...