Jump to content

Chris`I

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    24,812
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chris`I

  1. Yes. And as a "motoring enthusiast" you will be "thrilled" from the first moment you drive it
  2. Where can I get the Super 370z from? Is it a limited edition model?
  3. You'd kind of hope you can assume they dont redline it everywhere though All this talk is very speculative. More than likely no damage has been done, and its only really a problem if you plan to keep it for a good few years and get it into the higher milages. We're only starting to see these problems on the very high milage 350z's now so just shift it at around 60k miles for another
  4. 97RON is fine, its when you drop to 95RON the problems in the 350z start. Far to early to know if the 370z doesnt like 95RON for any other reason but with a knock sensor up to the redline, I dont see why it shouldnt be ok, but still not ideal. Perhaps we should get a demo car on 95RON on Abbey's dyno and see what it really does to it? I thought the 370 basically had the same HR engine as the 313 had, but with slightly greater capacity? Does the 313 suffer from knocking problems on 95RON? Ive only ever put super unleaded in mine and dont really fancy testing it. I'd imagine neither the VQ35HR nor VQ37VHR would suffer much from poor fuel. The knock sensor will wind back the timing to *hopefully* a level where you dont get any knock. The major problem with the VQ35DE was that the knock sensor only worked until ~5kRPM. Under that and the high det map with knock sensor will protect the engine, above that though and it doesnt do anything. This is where I think Mark saw the problems. Given the 370z has knock sensor to the redline it should be fine. Plus its prolonged usage on 95RON that appears to cause the damage. No saying what a few short trips on a new motor would do. Probably nothing.
  5. Make sure it has a high frame rate otherwise we might miss you doing the work!
  6. Do you offer training? I'd like to get my missus to think like that I'm sure you will get some very funny looks from the bag scanner/x-ray person
  7. 97RON is fine, its when you drop to 95RON the problems in the 350z start. Far to early to know if the 370z doesnt like 95RON for any other reason but with a knock sensor up to the redline, I dont see why it shouldnt be ok, but still not ideal. Perhaps we should get a demo car on 95RON on Abbey's dyno and see what it really does to it? Could you explain this in dumb-ass English Chris?? I mean, what physical problems did 95RON cause the 350Z, what does a knock sensor do in a 370Z, why does it help?? Just interested. Wikipedia is your friend (shouldnt give away my secrets should I!) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking On the 350z, Abbey has seen a car that it stripped down where det had caused the pistons quite extensive damage over a long time. Shouldnt happen half as much (if at all) in a 370z, but I sure wouldnt take the risk when there are so many good examples out there.
  8. And the rest Seriously they are cheap for a reason. Many people thought they were a bargin at ~£60k and still selling them on due to high running costs. This is a supercar with supercar costs. Think any different and you are kidding yourself. Had you said "I have £35k sitting in the bank that I want to spend" then you could go for it knowing that if it goes wrong you sell it on and lose some dosh. But when you have a 4yr commitment to it, I wouldnt do it personally. Sounds stupid but I prefer the 370z as a better package. Much more usable fun to be had, a lot cheaper to run, and RWD. Performance isnt even in the same universe, but you could get a second hand 370z and TT/SC it, after all its only 100CC less than a GTR
  9. Can I go with him instead? Always wanted to go on a private jet, dont get that opportunity often
  10. I'd say about the same. The plane may well fly slower (it may not) but depending on where he's flying from he will save a load of time by not having massive wait at checkin, passport control, luggage etc. On a private jet (at a smaller airfield/airport) you'll just rock up and jump straight on. So door to door, its likely to be quicker for him I would say. I assume you know where he is flying from, is it a big airport or smaller one? EDIT: Just googled it and a Learjet cruises somewhere around 500MPH and a Boeing at about 550MPH. So not a huge difference, enough that a quicker pass through the airport could make the smaller jet quicker.
  11. 97RON is fine, its when you drop to 95RON the problems in the 350z start. Far to early to know if the 370z doesnt like 95RON for any other reason but with a knock sensor up to the redline, I dont see why it shouldnt be ok, but still not ideal. Perhaps we should get a demo car on 95RON on Abbey's dyno and see what it really does to it?
  12. The 370z should sustain no real problem running on 95RON, unlike the 350z, as it has a knock sensor which operates all the way to the redline. They should be running 98RON+ though, it tells you in the handbook and the filler cap, so personally I wouldnt touch a 370z that had been run on 95RON, there are loads out there at a good price and its just not worth the right that something *might* be wrong with it that you dont realise until well out of the warranty period. Even within warranty they might still try and say it was you running it on 95RON that damaged it even if you only ever used 98RON+. Also if you follow Nissans bedding in procedure, it wont have done many miles at all being laboured or at high revs. So that also means the engine should be fine. But if people have taken it for a good spirited drive when its not been warmed up and not run in yet, thats less than idea. In real terms we are talking very small risks, you are likely never to see any problem with it. But then again you might. Not sure its worth the risk to me.
  13. Chris`I

    HFC's Question

    I had to take a day off to get mine done, the booking list is veerrrrrry long for good reason
  14. I'm sure I've seen pics somewhere of a kind of reverse y-pipe for the intake. 2 smaller filters feeding into a single intake into the SC/turbo, you could always try that
  15. Darren you make this all look far too easy Not sure if you need a bigger filter though, I have 2 about the same size as your one and thats only on an NA 370z
  16. Woo, need to keep mine then
  17. Cant wait to see pics/vids of this
  18. 40th/Black Edition dropped by 2 in the last year, and 3 Ultimate Edition (yellow ones) so someones been writing them off
  19. Definately. Its usually the cluctch that goes first, but whether one needs doing or the other, always do both
  20. Vibrations that come through the transmission are damped by the dual mass flywheel which can (not sure Nissan did) be tweaked to dial out specific frequencies of noises/rattles. I think Audi do this with most of their cars. I'd really suggest that you try out a car with one if you are unsure. Many dont find it a problem, but mine just felt a bit broken at lower revs (<2.5k) which being quite a lazy driver when I have passengers, it made you quite aware I had a SM flywheel. The pickup, while better, wasnt noticable during day to day driving, but the rattle most definately was. Horses for courses and all that. Plenty find it makes a nice difference and the sound doesnt bother them, and plenty of people find it doesnt make much difference to performance but the sound is annoying. I was kind of in between and I know there are other less vocal members out there that feel the same, hence why I'd suggest getting in a car with one to see what its like
  21. As Keyser says depends what you are after. Personally having had a SM flywheel in my old 350z, for the driving I did, it wasnt worth it. If I had it as a track car it would be fine, but for me the noise at low revs was annoying and the missus then didnt like driving the car if I ever needed her to. Just took away some of the great GT aspects of the car, so long drives were just noisier and not as nice. I'd suggest finding someone with one and seeing what you think of it.
  22. Works on iPhone
  23. Can he have a clean before he makes it to me?
  24. Seems Vettel's not quite as good as some made out when racing in the pack. Just shows that Lewis and Jenson are true drivers being able to make their way through when required. Also showed the design decisions on the RB with more corner grip and less straight line speed. The RB was massively quick through the corners but then not able to outrun anything on the straights.
  25. Hope you have a good internet connection, this will get busy! Cant watch it at work as its on a blocked port
×
×
  • Create New...