Yeah I wouldn't agree running costs are low. I don't think you notice if its not your daily.
With my new job I am doing 15k a year, then with personal miles on top the 70 will be doing at least 20k this year.
So yeah could save a lot of money buying a diesel golf but whats the fun in that hey!
And performance otherwise theres millions of 320d and A4's for that money
However, theres also a few Z4's, M135i's and the odd 335i, Audi S3's, 3.2 TT's and even an S5 and a few SLK350's ........... theres even a Cayman on PH for £14.5K, all with fairly low miles, all on 08/09 plates and all under 15K.
I cant think of anything you can buy that matches up with a 350 for 4K though
http://tinyurl.com/njklhnn
PH Classifieds - 2009+ - Cheapest Cayman is 20k with 90k miles!
I get what your saying about the 50 but there really isn't anything that matches the 70 as an overall package without adding another 5k.
I only got mine in march and test drove everything!